Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three Things I've Learned 2015 - Round 1 Edition

1. JJ looks a million bucks when he does things right
    2. We should seek to trade in McGoven, seriously impressive player
    3. Murphy, Picken, Boyd & Morris could get another year if they keep this form and fitness
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

1. An investment in the game day graphics was well worth it. Loved the pre-game moving graphics around the ground particularly the cartoon dogs who ran around the ground and waited at the race for the players to come out.
    2. West Coast's theme song is terrible. Sounds like a cheap kids song and the fake cheering is horrendous
    3. Bontempelli is the future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    1. An investment in the game day graphics was well worth it. Loved the pre-game moving graphics around the ground particularly the cartoon dogs who ran around the ground and waited at the race for the players to come out.
    2. West Coast's theme song is terrible. Sounds like a cheap kids song and the fake cheering is horrendous
    3. Bontempelli is the future
    It's even worse in Perth, they have fake cheers after a goal is kicked.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dickson is the new Gia for goal kicking reliability
    2. Loved Wallis' game - actually reminds me of Libba senior
    3. Liked that after falling behind a few times, we were able to rebound on the scoreboard
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bontempelli is better at attacking than Scott Selwood is at defending
    2. Our interpretation of the forward press will be the most entertaining so far but will see some big time highlights perpetrated against us.
    3. McGovern is a McGun and I'm stoked that The Boss beat him even that one time.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

1. The led advertising around the 1st and 2nd level is absolutely horrendous and is a real problem because it takes your attention away from the game when the ad changes.
    2. Grinding out wins is something we never saw under Eade. We ground West Coast down, had a plethora more opportunities to score and ran them off their feet in the final quarter.
    3. Gee we look fit, running a more experienced side off their feet in three quarters. Loving the exuberance of youth too.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bontempelli is our next captain (hopefully in about 3 years)
    2. Coast to coast goals can be both incredibly attractive and incredibly frustrating
    3. Jong is on song for 22 games this year

Post Thanks / Like

1. The new game plan will give us a better chance to win more matches given it doesn't rely on us winning every minute for the full 4 quarters to kick a score, but we're also going to get opened up a few times during the year and suffer some huge losses. One thing's for sure it'll certainly be better viewing.

2. Our end-to-end structure is looking the best it has for a long time, albeit mostly unproven. Roughead looks fit and healthy again, Talia if he can maintain that form will hold down a key defender position, Bonti in the centre is immense, and while not having an impact on Saturday, Redpath and Boyd showed they straighten us up and allow Stringer and Crameri to exploit lesser defenders.

3. This group coming through looks to have a bit more leadership and grit than the previous generation. I can't recall us winning too many games like that in previous years, the fact players like Stringer, T Boyd, Bonti, and Wallis all stood up late in the game is pretty exciting.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

9. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Stoked how well the backline performed, especially when Kennedy who has such a record against us managed only 2 goals and zero influence.

2. You can see this midfield being very hard to compete with in coming years.

3. The half time mascot dancing thing is god awful.

11. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    1. The new game plan will give us a better chance to win more matches given it doesn't rely on us winning every minute for the full 4 quarters to kick a score, but we're also going to get opened up a few times during the year and suffer some huge losses. One thing's for sure it'll certainly be better viewing.
    I'm not sure how suffering huge losses will be good viewing, but agree that our game style is much more viewer friendly.

As the season progresses it will be interesting to see how our game style changes/ develops.. Playing Haw in a couple of weeks will show us just where we are at right now which I think is a bit of an unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not sure how suffering huge losses will be good viewing, but agree that our game style is much more viewer friendly.

As the season progresses it will be interesting to see how our game style changes/ develops.. Playing Haw in a couple of weeks will show us just where we are at right now which I think is a bit of an unknown.
    Because it's obviously the few huge losses when I was referring to when I said we'd be entertaining...

Playing in a fashion that actually allows us to capitalize on our periods of dominance means on our good day we are a chance to beat most teams, rather than trying to strangle the game with numbers around the ball only to inevitably be blown away in a 15 minute period when the opposition get on top. That will certainly be better viewing. A few huge losses I can put up with in the name of progression.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Libba's knee will be the making of Mitch Wallis.
    2. Talia and Roughead have the potential to be 200 game key position defenders. I thought both were fantastic on Saturday night and Talia in particular understands his limitations by foot and chose the correct out option on almost every occasion.
    3. Bontempelli is up there with the best of them when it comes to gathering the ball below his knees. His ability to "one grab" and release in the same motion gives our runners that half a step on their opponents which can make all the difference when delivering the footy.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

16. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Bonti is untaggable. a 19 year old manages to work his way through it an amass 10 tackles. He's as much workhorse as he is highlights reel. Beast.

2. Having tall forwards, crumbers and a guy like Stringer who can do both will allow us to develop a dangerous forwardline sooner rather than later.

3. All the talk pre-season has been how much the players love Bevo.
    This is only half the story. What has been completely missed is how much Bevo loves the players. Will defend them publically (e.g. post match) and make WO a far more attractive place to be; Dahl and Roughy signing in recent times may just be the start of it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Because it's obviously the few huge losses when I was referring to when I said we'd be entertaining...

Playing in a fashion that actually allows us to capitalize on our periods of dominance means on our good day we are a chance to beat most teams, rather than trying to strangle the game with numbers around the ball only to inevitably be blown away in a 15 minute period when the opposition get on top. That will certainly be better viewing. A few huge losses I can put up with in the name of progression.
    I was having a bit of fun with your choice of words.. Perhaps I should have added a 'wink' to let you I was joking.

Anyway as you stated playing with a bit of flair should result in score-board pressure when we are playing well which hasn't always been the case over the past few years... But our 1st half shows that we still have a long way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    With respect to your point 1, I gather the issue is that we need to fine-tune the extent of our forward press somehow because that is why we get hurt on the rebound (and the kick-ins) so easily - but I'm sure Bevo can do that. At the moment, we have the press set on something like turbo or 11 and it does have considerable benefits but it also leaves us open to the break out play. Just got to hit a balance. One thing that would make a big difference to the defensive rebounds inflicted on us, is us holding more marks in the forward 50 and kicking to leads inside the 50m arc. I think the press becomes particularly over committed when the forwards aren't taking marks.
    I think my second point explains some of the issue. We still crowd the ball, whether that's by design or a legacy of McCartney's days with us. If you crowd the ball, and turn it over, you're going to let teams get behind you easily.

From what I saw on Saturday I don't think there's a huge difference in the way we played in our front half compared to how we did in previous years. Sure, out of defence and through the middle (to an extent) we looked to move it a bit quicker however, once it was in our forward half we were getting numbers around the ball and pushing into the forwrd 50 without a clean chance at scoring. It opened up in the last quarter though, which was nice to see.

My view is things haven't progressed too greatly beyond how we played when we actually played well under McCartney. Under McCartney that was the exception rather than the rule, so hopefully Beveridge can help us make that sort of footy the baseline to progress from rather than the good day at the office as it has been at times these past few years.

There's a lot of water to go under the bridge, and a lot better teams to play against than West Coast to see just how much we've changed over the preaseason.