Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  554
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a stupid banner

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Agree, stupid banner. How is big Tom supposed to feel running through that with his teammates? No wonder he didn't impact the game until the last quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I see the humor I just wonder what Boyd felt. He would be getting pretty sick of hearing the amount of money he will be on. I'm sure he didn't expect it from his own club. It was a bit strange and irrelevant.
    If he can't handle a little ribbing about being a million dollar player after 9 games of football, he really shouldn't have signed the contract. In an ideal world he'll be given time and patience to grow into his body and his place in the team. We do NOT live in an ideal world. He has about three years max to win the Coleman before the Facebook Fans unite and start burning effigies. There were already plenty of FB posts about him being a waste of money for only kicking one goal on Saturday night.

Banners are the least of the kids problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Either of you boys been out to Footscray anytime in the last 20 years? That's a fight we can't win.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

WB put the banner up on their facebook page. Well over 2000 likes. I'd say the club would be very very happy with the banner.

4. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Now that was a really funny comment on your part but I am not sure you can see the humour in it.

But yeah, not one of my greatest efforts. I was cheesed off with one of the mod's underhanded tactics on another thread - a deliberate misconstrual without a right of reply. Having had a few match day drinks, I lashed out at what I perceived to be another shouting down of someone daring to express an opinion that wasn't mind-numbingly, boringly safe. Rereading, I was being heavy handed, so sorry to the poster of "lighten up."
    I assumed you were being sarcastic.

Like you were taking the piss out of one of those 'here comes the human rights brigade' or 'I'm tired of everyone being "politically correct"' people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    "If you think Tom Boyd cost the earth try buying a coffee in Perth"

What a stupid banner for our first game! What's a coffee in Perth worth $5, $6 and that somehow equals a multi million dollar deal?? It doesn't even make sense. Not to mention its insulting to us and completely uninspiring. How does this crap get past the marketing department? There's a million better alternatives. My 3 second invention:

"In 2015 our young Dogs will shine and tonight on Eagle's they'll dine"
    I thought that it was quite funny.

I spent the last 27 years in Perth, just returning less than a year ago. A coffee can cost $7, $8 in the city, maybe more now.

I thought that it was well-known that in Perth a cup of coffee was the most expensive in Australia. The West-Coasters would understand it and have a chuckle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I assumed you were being sarcastic.

Like you were taking the piss out of one of those 'here comes the human rights brigade' or 'I'm tired of everyone being "politically correct"' people.
    I liked the point you made in your comment "Sometimes when people attempt these jokes you need to understand that they aren't to be taken literally but rather as comical exaggerations. How funny it is is debatable but for a footy banner in a professional competition it's fine." As I understood it, you were referring to how sanitised anything appearing on a contemporary banner would have to be in this day and age.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

The 'Hot Pies...' one was used in the NAB Challenge against Collingwood. I thought it was superb and wasted on a NAB Challenge game!!!
    Also liked the one about coffee on Saturday night and had a chuckle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I liked the point you made in your comment "Sometimes when people attempt these jokes you need to understand that they aren't to be taken literally but rather as comical exaggerations. How funny it is is debatable but for a footy banner in a professional competition it's fine." As I understood it, you were referring to how sanitised anything appearing on a contemporary banner would have to be in this day and age.
    The last part? Not wanting to offend is one part of it but it's also a pretty limited format and put together by amateurs. I'm sure it could be funny without being offensive but a footy club has other priorities

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The last part? Not wanting to offend is one part of it but it's also a pretty limited format and put together by amateurs. I'm sure it could be funny without being offensive but a footy club has other priorities
    It's not really put together by an amateur

Post Thanks / Like

I found it funny, my girlfriend found it funny, the West Coast supporters I was near found it funny. What a disaster!

12. Likes N/A, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found it funny...can't understand the angst really

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgirl16 View Post
    I found it funny...can't understand the angst really
    Agree!

All media has been talking about re: Boyd is how much it cost us to secure the deal, glad we can have fun with it.

Next weeks banner suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

No Words. Just a massive Bulldog with the opposition between its teeth.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

16. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read every post so I apologise if this has already been said. The question for me is 'what is the purpose of the banner?'

Is it to celebrate the entry of the team onto the ground or is it to create a few smiles in the crowd? Personally I would be happy with a simple 'Go Dogs' each week. Or a banner of red, white and blue stripes and of much smaller proportions with no words. But then that is me. The mate I was with thought it was very humorous.

If the requirement is that it rhymes, doesn't offend and is a little bit quirky, then the banner on Saturday was spot on.

Perhaps we could put in a WOOF request for a haiku banner next week.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

18. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It's not really put together by an amateur
    That's the impression I got from earlier comments. My apologies to the professional if I'm mistaken