Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  554
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a GREAT banner

Don't like this at all. Is Ameet changing things?

Fans' chance to create banner message

AFL 2017 Round 03 - Fremantle v Western Bulldogs
    Western Bulldogs are giving fans the opportunity to create the Club's cheer squad banner in 2018. (Photo: AFL Media)

The Western Bulldogs will give their fans the opportunity to create the Club’s cheer squad banner messages throughout the 2018 AFL season.

The Bulldogs’ banner message creator for the last few years, Danny McGinlay, will scale down his commitments with the Club this season.

“In 2014 I was just a fan with some banner ideas, and now it’s time for the other fans to have a go,” McGinlay said.
    “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Peter Gordon and especially Linda Murray, who took a chance on me in 2014.

“I’ll forever be grateful to the Club for giving me this opportunity. It’s helped raise my profile, got me a TV gig and brought more people to my comedy festival shows.”

Details about the process for fans to submit their banner messages will be communicated in due course.

“The Bulldogs led the way with Danny’s banner messages during the 2016 season, which became a popular talking point in our run to the premiership,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains.

“As a club heading into the 2018 season, we are in a different space in terms of the philosophy and tone of our banner messages.

“The banner messages are not the only association Danny has with the Club, and conversations about his direct involvement with the Bulldogs will continue to take place as we head into the 2018 season.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Boo! Bring back Danny!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Was fun while it lasted but it was never going go forever. He had to be running out of ideas and all the copycats have taken the shine off a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no. Figureheads feuding. Bannerman walks. The wheels are falling off. Damo's going to be all over this.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes Twodogs, bornadog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did he try to use the players gate too?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Philosophy and tone of banner messages..... fair dinkum.
    Amazes me how horrible all AFL clubs (and sports outfits generally, in Aus) are at this stuff. The whole industry is devoid of any real nous or daring with respect to marketing, PR and allowing space for authentic points of difference to emerge.

Everything has a used by date and the change isn't inherently bad, but Danny's contribution was a massive win for fans and the club, reclaiming an inane, biting space co opted by sponsorship $ and turning it into a performance of the real spirit of the game beyond the athletic component. Generated much more good will, $, exposure than what has been, and what will likely emerge.

9. Likes bornadog, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Philosophy and tone of banner messages..... fair dinkum.
    Amazes me how horrible all AFL clubs (and sports outfits generally, in Aus) are at this stuff. The whole industry is devoid of any real nous or daring with respect to marketing, PR and allowing space for authentic points of difference to emerge.

Everything has a used by date and the change isn't inherently bad, but Danny's contribution was a massive win for fans and the club, reclaiming an inane, biting space co opted by sponsorship $ and turning it into a performance of the real spirit of the game beyond the athletic component. Generated much more good will, $, exposure than what has been, and what will likely emerge.
    It's because we think in binaries. Either something is valuable and will bring in revenue or it costs and must be gone rid of. There is no compromise, no investment in the future. It terrifies me that the Cowboys have taken control of and run the game (and run it into the ground-but those admins will be ok because they predicated their bonuses in the here and now, not the future) now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's because we think in binaries. Either something is valuable and will bring in revenue or it costs and must be gone rid of. There is no compromise, no investment in the future. It terrifies me that the Cowboys have taken control of and run the game (and run it into the ground-but those admins will be ok because they predicated their bonuses in the here and now, not the future) now.
    I know what you are saying mate but the messages on the banners were universally crap from whenever it started being a weekly thing to when Danny took over in 2015 or thereabouts...The cowboys you are talking about? Those are the same people who gave him a shot in the first place...

The club must 100% realise that it was the uniqueness of the banner messages that generated the interest - the comparison between the SHB and the WGB will live forever - but you cannot continue to one-up these things forever.

I don't like the idea of 'the fans' doing it but if the person who writes it does a little video on the website and tells something about their story then I will probably watch it...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I know what you are saying mate but the messages on the banners were universally crap from whenever it started being a weekly thing to when Danny took over in 2015 or thereabouts...The cowboys you are talking about? Those are the same people who gave him a shot in the first place...

The club must 100% realise that it was the uniqueness of the banner messages that generated the interest - the comparison between the SHB and the WGB will live forever - but you cannot continue to one-up these things forever.

I don't like the idea of 'the fans' doing it but if the person who writes it does a little video on the website and tells something about their story then I will probably watch it...

I've got no idea mate. I was ranting.

Inept management in general. That's my usual hobby horse. It's either that or lousy goal kicking techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

it's interesting, I follow Danny closely on social media, and reading between the lines he's disappointed. He also talked on Titus podcast how he absolutely tanked at the season launch at Peter Gordon's house a few weeks ago

Now this is pure speculation, maybe he asked for a pay rise (or even some $$, he was a volunteer originally and no idea whether he's paid now or not) and the club baulked at that

But firstly he's a massive Dogs fan and always will be. Got to write a banner for a winning GF and also the best banner ever (the week before vs GWS) and his personal stocks have risen/sold tickets to shows so its been a win win up until now

Post Thanks / Like

"Philosophy and tone of banner messages"

Lol - we sound like the biggest bunch of wankers. It's some crepe paper with (until Danny came along) inane and instantly forgotten words. Danny actually made this a point of difference for us. Guess it must have been too "off message"
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    it's interesting, I follow Danny closely on social media, and reading between the lines he's disappointed. He also talked on Titus podcast how he absolutely tanked at the season launch at Peter Gordon's house a few weeks ago

Now this is pure speculation, maybe he asked for a pay rise (or even some $$, he was a volunteer originally and no idea whether he's paid now or not) and the club baulked at that

But firstly he's a massive Dogs fan and always will be. Got to write a banner for a winning GF and also the best banner ever (the week before vs GWS) and his personal stocks have risen/sold tickets to shows so its been a win win up until now
    It was pointed out in the statement he would still be at the club doing other things , so it wasn't a big fall out of any note.
    Personally I just think they want supporters to have a shot , that's a good thing In my eyes best idea wins the banner quote.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not fussed at all. Didn't find his banners that funny or clever. One exception - the PF one, that was an absolute pearler.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post

Danny is a WOOF member. We stil love you Danny!

Post Thanks / Like

Danny revitalised and made banners relevant again. Prior to that banners had become twee, trite and stale. Since his involvement Danny's efforts gained serious media exposure for the club, engaged fans, inspired copy cats and for all but the most curmudgeonly of people they brought a smile to people's faces.

Well done and thank-you Danny!

19. Likes Twodogs, Sedat, The bulldog tragician liked this post