Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  554
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a GREAT banner

Loved his banners. Best wishes Danny. Hope our supporters and fans come up with some pearlers. In my opinion Danny set the bar pretty high and was a breathe of fresh air. Loved how he stayed within acceptable limits whilst “sticking it up ‘em” (afl, opposition...) in a gentle way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Loved his banners. Best wishes Danny. Hope our supporters and fans come up with some pearlers. In my opinion Danny set the bar pretty high and was a breathe of fresh air. Loved how he stayed within acceptable limits whilst “sticking it up ‘em” (afl, opposition...) in a gentle way.
    Is someone really going to sit through and read hundreds of banner entries?

I loved Dans banners and really sorry to see him go. His Grand Final banner will live for ever.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is someone really going to sit through and read hundreds of banner entries?

I loved Dans banners and really sorry to see him go. His Grand Final banner will live for ever.
    I'll see your Grand Final banner and raise you his Prelim banner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'll see your Grand Final banner and raise you his Prelim banner.
    That covered all the bases it was cheeky, it was funny and it would have unnerved the GWS boys because everything else seemed too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That covered all the bases it was cheeky, it was funny and it would have unnerved the GWS boys because everything else seemed too.
    They really under estimated us that night and it bit them, hard.

The level of hostility. Shiel had a crack at me on twitter earlier that year, he was arrogant to the point of demanding we support him for growing the game up north. Completely blind to the dynamics between our Club & that franchise. They were all in on the narrative of our Club being the jabronis.

The boos during warm up. Venomous. Fever pitch stuff, I remember thinking there could be a riot if we had a Libba 97 moment and lost. The hatred was tangible. Matched only by the passion and contrast of our cheers. A modern sporting equivalent to the scene in Braveheart where William Wallace gave the Sons of Scotland speech.

The banner doubled down on this. A thick, heavy whack at the league and their baby. Full of affirmation for the very identity that those suits pissed on and underestimated. Ours was a bond forged in th fires of hell. For all the blood, we were still here and there was no way GWS were coming out of this one alive. It gave us permission to carry on hostilities in the crowd. It unsettled them in a major way.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that GWS had made a fundamental error in putting together their first squad and that is they added no grunt. The list was full of first round talent but not one of those kids had ever fought for anything in their footy lifes. Never struggled to stay on a list, or fought to stay in the team.

And when the game was on the line it was always Morris or Picken or Boyd that saved us. The Rookie List boys.

7. Likes N/A, WBFC4FFC, ratsmac, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that GWS had made a fundamental error in putting together their first squad and that is they added no grunt. The list was full of first round talent but not one of those kids had ever fought for anything in their footy lifes. Never struggled to stay on a list, or fought to stay in the team.

And when the game was on the line it was always Morris or Picken or Boyd that saved us. The Rookie List boys.
    And blokes that made a career on being fringe players like Wood, Dickson and Smith.

It was Liam Picken's smother that set up Macrae's winner.

Post Thanks / Like

And blokes that made a career on being fringe players like Wood, Dickson and Smith.

It was Liam Picken's smother that set up Macrae's winner.

And it was Matty Boyd's kick out of mid air that hit up JJ to stream down the field. Both Rookie Listers who weren't going to leave anything on the ground. None of those blokes were going to die wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

And it was Matty Boyd's kick out of mid air that hit up JJ to stream down the field. Both Rookie Listers who weren't going to leave anything on the ground. None of those blokes were going to die wondering.
    And set it up in the first place by intercepting Gryphon's handball inside 50.

Fellow Rookie Tadgh Kennelly went nuts over that passage of play in the ABC commentary box.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Danny, thanks for doing well above and beyond your bit for our club, it is hugely appreciated by all of us.

Preimierships are decided by micro percentages, every little bit helps and your work was one of the things which got the entire football world behind us.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad we've decided to move on, this type of thing only has a finite life span and Danny has done well to get as much out of it as he has.

Well done Danny, good luck on your next move.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'm not fussed at all. Didn't find his banners that funny or clever. One exception - the PF one, that was an absolute pearler.
    I liked his Collingwood one - the reference to swooping season.

The Swans one (pubs close at 8) was very good too. It was certainly a step up from our previous banners.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Why do we have banners at all?

I liked what he did, and maybe it's time to move on, but if we're contemplating the shift back to mundane "we'll bring the bite, you bring the bark" kind of rubbish banners, I'd say save the money and don't bother doing one anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Why do we have banners at all?

I liked what he did, and maybe it's time to move on, but if we're contemplating the shift back to mundane "we'll bring the bite, you bring the bark" kind of rubbish banners, I'd say save the money and don't bother doing one anymore.
    A unique part of our game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And set it up in the first place by intercepting Gryphon's handball inside 50.

Fellow Rookie Tadgh Kennelly went nuts over that passage of play in the ABC commentary box.
    It's almost my favorite passage of commentary from the whole finals series. It would have been better if I'd understood any of the words he said but golly he's excited and he doesn't hold back. Kennelly calls football like a horse race in that's it's more about what's going to happen than telling us what's just happened like tradional commentry.