Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  554
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a GREAT banner

I can’t wait for our banner today I am guessing it will be “rah, rah we will beat them” kind of stuff.

I think we should have gone with:

Beating the Bombers is still enjoyable
    But it does make you think
    That they haven’t actually been relevant
    Since the charts held N*Sync

Or:
    The Bombers fans have been quick to criticise
    When Barrett has thrown them some Bulldog bones
    But people in glass off site injection facilities
    Shouldn’t throw stones

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/the...oRedirect=true

Danny McGinlay Bombed A Gig At Peter Gordon’s House A Week Before He Lost The Banner Job

Former Bulldogs banner writer Danny McGinlay has revealed that he gave a private show at club president Peter Gordon’s house a week before he and the Dogs parted ways.

Speaking to the Hot Breakfast this morning, McGinlay said he did a spot at a club function at Gordon’s house that he said “died in the arse”

“I was asked to come down and tell some jokes to my heroes,” McGinlay said.

“What was the question Darce, how did it go? Yeah, it died in the arse.”

McGinlay said he was guilty of misreading the room.

“What happened is, I was under the impression that the players were gonna let their hair down, have a few beers… so I prepared a set that was probably more suited to the Comic’s Lounge on a Saturday night,” he said.

“[So I] come out, fire a few jokes, [and it’s] beyond crickets. Even the crickets were going ‘this is a bit awkward’.

“I’m mates with Lachie Hunter, I sometimes sit with his dad at games, and he was sitting at the front.

“And then I’m 45 seconds into this bad gig and he just moved to the back of the room.”

Luke Darcy had some sympathy for McGinlay's plight.

"That would be the toughest room," Darce said.

"You've got a group of footballers not allowed to have a beer, at the house of the president, surrounded by officials, that is as tough a gig as you could possibly imagine."

Wil Anderson agreed.

"Danny, if you were a more experienced comedian, you'd have maybe got that call and decided that was a terrible gig you didn't want to do!"

McGinlay also revealed that he had a banner written for round one before the club’s decision to change its tactics.

“We’re playing GWS in Canberra in round one, and I wanted the banner to say ‘Today we begin our epic quest to break our one year premiership drought’.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, can we start a campaign to bring Danny back?

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Seriously, can we start a campaign to bring Danny back?
    I agree, surely he wasn't sacked based on that gig at PGs house?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If that was the reason, or even if there is a perception that was the reason we need to go down on bended knee and plead with Danny to please write the banners again and if Danny wants the person who gave him the sarsaparilla to be booted then that's what we do.

I would suggest tgat next time the club asks for ideas for the banner we inundate them with pleas for Danny to come back dressed up as ideas for the banner, something like:

Danny writes our banners
    But then he got the sack
    If we ask with our best manners
    Could we please have Danny back?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

He was doing the pregame interviews in the social club last week, replacing Kevin Hillier,so he's not shut out of the club completely. He was interviewing Brad Lynch and Callum Porter, and at one point asked Lynch how he is settling in to the club (or words to that effect) and Lynch deadpanned him and said "We'll, it's my third year, but you could ask Cal"... The burn.....

Perhaps he was canned for not knowing the players?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Today banner was a return to the bland soulless drivel that we used to have pre Danny.

Bring him back, please!

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#bringbackdanny #bringbackthebannerman campaign starts now for me on my social media accounts.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBleed View Post
    Today banner was a return to the bland soulless drivel that we used to have pre Danny.

Bring him back, please!
    When Collingwood are ripping out better banners than us these days is a really bad sign. They took the piss out of their spelling mistake last week by misspelling every word.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

13. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised he bombed his gig at Peter Gordons house. From all his stuff I've seen his banners are by far his best work.

However to his credit his banner are mostly in the humourous to genuinely funny category which as expected is much better than what we have produced so far this season.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not surprised he bombed his gig at Peter Gordons house. From all his stuff I've seen his banners are by far his best work.

However to his credit his banner are mostly in the humourous to genuinely funny category which as expected is much better than what we have produced so far this season.

Danny is very funny. I've been going to stand up since the Last Laugh and Le Joke were up and running and Danny stands the Pepsi test with most of the old timers like Con Maresco and Ric Carter.

16. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBleed View Post

Bring him back, please!
    The Banner last night was absolutely pathetic. The Club has lost the plot now with this.

What they forget is the banner created positive PR for the club and had people talking about us and the banner.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree, removing Danny was mystifying.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I'm watching Friday night's game. Can I ask when the last time a player was mauled going through all that toilet and crepe paper that makes up the banner? Why else is the bottom all perforated/segmented so the players doing tear it as they run through it?

Or is it so the cheer squad can reuse bits of it or do they keep all the runthroughs somewhere? That makes nore sense to me than worrying about a player hurting/maiming themselves running through it. Although Kevin Bartlett had to be rescued from his 400 game banner-it was so big that KB ran through it and more or less disappeared inside it and his teammates running behind had to sort of find him in there and then rescue him. KB had some bizarre things happen to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone see Essendon's banner today? A reference that Petracca might be at the snow.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"