Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  554
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a GREAT banner

I’m more than happy for them to get the on field stuff right in lieu of humorous banners.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I’m more than happy for them to get the on field stuff right in lieu of humorous banners.
    Admin has never been better with strong leadership, no debts and able to support 4 teams.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Admin has never been better with strong leadership, no debts and able to support 4 teams.
    Exactly if you look at the big picture we would have to be the most successful club off the field and on it the last few years , innovation and forward thinking have been huge . We also have more redevelopment of the whitten oval coming.
    This club is building for a long term future and strength , the flags will come but let's get the club on a concrete footing first.
    The old saying build it and they will come.
    Bring back the biff

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It wouldn't be a surprise to me if it was a head office thing, to be honest.

Anything that isn't entirely vanilla makes them uncomfortable. Everything about the AFL experience that is already vanilla is in the firing line for being watered down further.
    Very happy to blame it on AFL House, along with everything else! That would actually make some kind of twisted sense.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure Danny making humorous banners didn't impact the players.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the two mutually exclusive? I'm pretty sure there's different people involved in the process of training and develop players, and the people making the banners.

To say we can't do one while doing the other is like saying I can't clean my house because my car's overdue for a service.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Are the two mutually exclusive? I'm pretty sure there's different people involved in the process of training and develop players, and the people making the banners.

To say we can't do one while doing the other is like saying I can't clean my house because my car's overdue for a service.
    I can't think and breathe at the same time. You can always tell when I'm deep in thought because I am laying in the ground and going blue in the face.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

I will let Andrew explain what he means.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    What I meant was I don’t think the banner issue is our biggest problem, and couldn’t care less what is on them. No they’re not mutually exclusive, but IMO the banner is a non issue while we are rubbish on field.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

What I meant was I don’t think the banner issue is our biggest problem, and couldn’t care less what is on them. No they’re not mutually exclusive, but IMO the banner is a non issue while we are rubbish on field.
    I knew what you meant.

14. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s Friday night and we’re fighting fit
    But since we fired Danny
    Our banner’s are Shit
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

And they don't even show the fans on the Doug Hawkins wing what they say!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    It’s Friday night and we’re fighting fit
    But since we fired Danny
    Our banner’s are Shit
    'Twas just thinking about best all time banners, and you can't go passed the GWS Prelim; Our club was born of blood and boots, not in afl focus groups.

I think it set a tone/trend for the night. I know I and others laughed, but then got fired up about this self indulgent bullshit plastic club, handed everything by the AFEL, arrogant to think winning was deserved as per the newspapers on our seats. So we all booed the shit out of GWS as they came out. Then at the cheer squad end we gave Davis & Shaw a 10 minute spray, who heard us and clearly didn't like it (gosh darn it). So we did it to them both quarters they played back. Did the banner effect the result, who knows, maybe. Did it amp us all up to 11 and make it tribal as hell and 'us against them' to the point we were louder for our boys for 4 quarters? Yep, no doubt.

A part from laughing for all of Danny's banners week in and week out, and tv shows showing them each week and free promotion for the club, I think reflecting on the GWS banner and imagine if there was some vanilla 'hot dogs' reference, whether we'd be deprived of a great banner (which we are now) and the opportunity to really rile up the fans for the greater good. It really is a shame that this club will exist forever now, but that the best game day banners we will ever have are firmly in our past already. I can't recall one from 2018 that stuck in my memory.

But it what it is, and we move on. I was just reflecting on the GWS game and great banners.

P.S. I love the work the cheer squad put in and they do a great job with what they can. But if Mick Jagger quit the Rolling Stones and was replaced by a bag of fortune cookies as lyrics and song writing, The Stones would just never be the same again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes josie, I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the GWS banner was a marked change of direction for Danny.

While most of his previous work had been light-hearted banter, I saw this as a real shot across the bough.

The phrase I had in my head when I read it was 'shots fired'. He was having a red hot dig, and such was the venom that had developed between the two clubs.

Its a right shame that Danny no longer writes the Banners. I thought it generated some great PR and social media traffic, and you should never underestimate the value of positive social media.

20. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McGinlay's banners were clever, refreshing, humorous and at times inspiring. The new CEO in this instance had a choice - dare to be different or dare to be boring, bland and pedestrian.

22. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post