Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  554
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a GREAT banner

I know we are in the business of winning games, but attracting media and clicks (in a Victorian market saturated by the “big” clubs) is vital to growing our brand and bringing more people on board.

We had really got the jump on opposition clubs by using the banner as a way to get even opposition clubs talking about our club in a positive light and getting us noticed.

It really bugged me to see us take a backward step and to see the likes of Collingwood putting out great banners last year (while we went with “rah, rah let’s beat them” nails on the blackboard sort of stuff).

I don’t know why they stopped using Danny (maybe he asked for stupid amounts of money?) but we would be crazy not to try to get back to the Dannyesque banners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I thought the GWS banner was a marked change of direction for Danny.

While most of his previous work had been light-hearted banter, I saw this as a real shot across the bough.

The phrase I had in my head when I read it was 'shots fired'. He was having a red hot dig, and such was the venom that had developed between the two clubs.

Its a right shame that Danny no longer writes the Banners. I thought it generated some great PR and social media traffic, and you should never underestimate the value of positive social media.
    'Shots fired' in deed 251. That was the brilliance of it. I'm clearly biased, but I can't recall a banner being that cutting (& witty) in the truth to such a degree. It was truly a breaking ground move by him and the club to let him. Some of the players interviewed post the game said they saw it and clearly agreed with the sentiment. I'm not sure that any club will dare do anything similar again if AFEL house didn't like it (although their social media surprisingly put it out there).

But then on GF Day, Danny turned a full 180 to not go funny or edgy, but a poignant message and phrase that has stayed forever in time. I think both his banners were great last messages to everyone at the grounds with RW&B players and fans. It's a great talent he has. It's a shame to see it wasted, but clearly someone with a lot of power doesn't want those banners or banners referring to 'negative gearing' to Dee's supporters anymore. So, 'Bulldogs are going to fight, and win tonight. Woof.

P.S. I'm going to guess and say Danny's win-loss record is the best of anyone's at the club in any role (ex. Maybe Duryea).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    'Twas just thinking about best all time banners, and you can't go passed the GWS Prelim; Our club was born of blood and boots, not in afl focus groups.

I think it set a tone/trend for the night. I know I and others laughed, but then got fired up about this self indulgent bullshit plastic club, handed everything by the AFEL, arrogant to think winning was deserved as per the newspapers on our seats. So we all booed the shit out of GWS as they came out. Then at the cheer squad end we gave Davis & Shaw a 10 minute spray, who heard us and clearly didn't like it (gosh darn it). So we did it to them both quarters they played back. Did the banner effect the result, who knows, maybe. Did it amp us all up to 11 and make it tribal as hell and 'us against them' to the point we were louder for our boys for 4 quarters? Yep, no doubt.

A part from laughing for all of Danny's banners week in and week out, and tv shows showing them each week and free promotion for the club, I think reflecting on the GWS banner and imagine if there was some vanilla 'hot dogs' reference, whether we'd be deprived of a great banner (which we are now) and the opportunity to really rile up the fans for the greater good. It really is a shame that this club will exist forever now, but that the best game day banners we will ever have are firmly in our past already. I can't recall one from 2018 that stuck in my memory.

But it what it is, and we move on. I was just reflecting on the GWS game and great banners.

P.S. I love the work the cheer squad put in and they do a great job with what they can. But if Mick Jagger quit the Rolling Stones and was replaced by a bag of fortune cookies as lyrics and song writing, The Stones would just never be the same again.

Never really thought about the banner as a tool for the crowd but that is a really good point. It did set the scene for the night. That and the fact it was played in the wrong stadium, gws fans were given free tickets and busses to the ground and they needed to put the umpires call up in the big screen so they knew what was happening... probably the best game of football I’ve been to.

4. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Never really thought about the banner as a tool for the crowd but that is a really good point. It did set the scene for the night. That and the fact it was played in the wrong stadium, gws fans were given free tickets and busses to the ground and they needed to put the umpires call up in the big screen so they knew what was happening... probably the best game of football I’ve been to.
    I loved when GWS ran on the ground at the start of the game and were given the biggest booing ever for a home team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I loved when GWS ran on the ground at the start of the game and were given the biggest booing ever for a home team.
    That was so good.

I remember hearing they made a formal complaint to the AFL. Says it all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The plastic players were shocked, you could see it in their eyes and their bodies. After all the AFeL provided momentum they were given through the week (home ground venue, bussed in freeloading fans etc) they were on the back foot from that moment. They thought it was going to be a walkover and all they had to do was turn up but the time they ran out up to the bounce of the ball sat them firmly on their arses.

Leon Cameron petulantly throwing his pen across the coaches box and shaking his head after Stringer passed it to Dickson was a thing of beauty. Not as good as the high fives and hugs on the boundary in the last two minutes of the GF though. That was insanely beautiful.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at this thread and it got me thinking that maybe Danny had come back!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The plastic players were shocked, you could see it in their eyes and their bodies. After all the AFeL provided momentum they were given through the week (home ground venue, bussed in freeloading fans etc) they were on the back foot from that moment. They thought it was going to be a walkover and all they had to do was turn up but the time they ran out up to the bounce of the ball sat them firmly on their arses.

Leon Cameron petulantly throwing his pen across the coaches box and shaking his head after Stringer passed it to Dickson was a thing of beauty. Not as good as the high fives and hugs on the boundary in the last two minutes of the GF though. That was insanely beautiful.
    They would now the PF and GF would have to be all woofers greatest games ever. I plan to put the DVD on closer to the season to get me pumped up again.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

They would now the PF and GF would have to be all woofers greatest games ever. I plan to put the DVD on closer to the season to get me pumped up again.
    Just reading this thread has got me started early.
    I love re-watching the '16 Granny; because a Granny resulting in a convincing win is what it is, worthy of a lifetime of bragging rights.
    But on the sweetness scale, beating those arrogant Plastic Pr**ks (maybe they could be renamed The Dildoes?) on their home turf in front of their bussed-in ignorant "supporters" was right up there for me.

12. Likes Eastdog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insufficient Intent View Post
    Just reading this thread has got me started early.
    I love re-watching the '16 Granny; because a Granny resulting in a convincing win is what it is, worthy of a lifetime of bragging rights.
    But on the sweetness scale, beating those arrogant Plastic Pr**ks (maybe they could be renamed The Dildoes?) on their home turf in front of their bussed-in ignorant "supporters" was right up there for me.
    Beating them in a close Prelim was so satisfying!

Post Thanks / Like

Let’s hope we have a ripping banner when we play them in 2019. Hope they are on the slide with a fair few of their players being poached and likely more to follow. I planned to purchase some plastic oranges and take them to the game however realised it is round 22 in Sydney on a Sunday 3:20pm. Hmmmm-will I or won’t I go?

Too long for a banner but here’s my Danny inspired not so haiku poem.....
    “Our authentic, beloved, gutsy and determined doggies
    Will give all they’ve got and more to beat you lot
    Of orange plastic, saccharine coated, self-entitled not so hot shots”
    Last edited by josie; 08-01-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I know we are in the business of winning games, but attracting media and clicks (in a Victorian market saturated by the “big” clubs) is vital to growing our brand and bringing more people on board.

We had really got the jump on opposition clubs by using the banner as a way to get even opposition clubs talking about our club in a positive light and getting us noticed.

It really bugged me to see us take a backward step and to see the likes of Collingwood putting out great banners last year (while we went with “rah, rah let’s beat them” nails on the blackboard sort of stuff).

I don’t know why they stopped using Danny (maybe he asked for stupid amounts of money?) but we would be crazy not to try to get back to the Dannyesque banners.
    I couldn't agree more with this. We actually need Danny back, the banners throughout 16' were great at generating buzz, even my one-toothed Collingwood supporting girl friend agreed that the Dog's banners were the best throughout the year.

Club really needs that vibe back.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

As members, do we have 0 say in this? I mean, we’re kind of shareholders? Surely we can petition?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    As members, do we have 0 say in this? I mean, we’re kind of shareholders? Surely we can petition?

It would have to be mentioned in the constitution or the Articles of Association or whatever governs the club's rules for the members to have a say wouldn't it? I'm betting none of those documents mention the run through or even the Cheer Squad.

A petition is complicated but might work in that it could generate some publicity in the media that members and supporters aren't happy about this. But the way a petition works is we gather a certain amount of signatures (depending how many members we have) and then demand that the club has an Extraordinary General Meeting where we push for a spill of the board and then run a ticket in order to get our own members of the board in. Then if we are successful in that we sack whoever made the decision and replace them with our own muppet who has orders to ask Danny back to write the banners.

But I'm thinking that might be a bit of an over-reaction...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It would have to be mentioned in the constitution or the Articles of Association or whatever governs the club's rules for the members to have a say wouldn't it? I'm betting none of those documents mention the run through or even the Cheer Squad.

A petition is complicated but might work in that it could generate some publicity in the media that members and supporters aren't happy about this. But the way a petition works is we gather a certain amount of signatures (depending how many members we have) and then demand that the club has an Extraordinary General Meeting where we push for a spill of the board and then run a ticket in order to get our own members of the board in. Then if we are successful in that we sack whoever made the decision and replace them with our own muppet who has orders to ask Danny back to write the banners.

But I'm thinking that might be a bit of an over-reaction...
    You make things too complicated.
    Just find the members with military experience, hand out a few guns and stage a coo.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...