Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three Things I've Learned 2015 - Round 2 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    To be honest with the game style we're playing we're going to lose the free kick count most weeks.
    One stat we are winning is number one for most frees against. We also lead tackles.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Jackson Macrae got pinged for high tackles two or three times, he may need to improve his tackling technique, come in a bit lower or finesse more. But this is not to take away from the fact that the umpiring unilaterally disadvantaged us.
    Jack looks like he is doing it on purpose. Seems happy to give the free away if he gets a chance to hurt someone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One stat we are winning is number one for most frees against. We also lead tackles.
    Unsociable Football!?

4. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes I have noticed that too. He needs to learn to lead, this isn't the under 16 where he is the tallest of all the juniors and he can just stick his hands up in the air and clunk it. He can learn a bit from both Riewoldts, unless as you say its part of the gameplan to just bring the ball to ground.
    I think he knows how to lead and when but at the moment his tank isn't big enough or fast enough to get off seasoned AFL backman. As he gets more games and probably more importantly more preseasons he will be doing that. The Riewoldts are excellent examples he should/will follow but I don't think either of them had the tank at the start of their 2nd year to do the running and repeat leading they do now.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    I don't think either of them had the tank at the start of their 2nd year to do the running and repeat leading they do now.
    Nick has always been an elite runner - was near the top of the Saints running group from the moment he began his career. It was a highlight of his junior days, hence teams used to plan rotations for backmen to run with him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Tackle hard, sometimes too hard and give up free kicks? Im cool with that.

I've learnt we need more games at the G. First time taking the little one to the footy, had a ball, and not the same atmosphere as Etihad.

9. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    1. Quality players with that are one way runners are actually a massive liability (Cooney, Higgins, Carlton & Collingwood midfields)
    Do you mean "outside" players? If so, i disagree. I just don't get this pre-occupation with "inside player=good", "outside player=bad".

A team full of "inside" grunt types would do nothing but play to to negate the opposition. No-one wants to go watch that, and, if you want to win, you have to finish. It might start with winning a hard ball/crunch a tackle, but what happens next is equally important. Cooney and Higgins both broke games apart for us at times, with the speed and high level skills.

You need the Cooney and Higgins types, and dare I say, the Eagletons' as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Do you mean "outside" players? If so, i disagree. I just don't get this pre-occupation with "inside player=good", "outside player=bad".

A team full of "inside" grunt types would do nothing but play to to negate the opposition. No-one wants to go watch that, and, if you want to win, you have to finish. It might start with winning a hard ball/crunch a tackle, but what happens next is equally important. Cooney and Higgins both broke games apart for us at times, with the speed and high level skills.

You need the Cooney and Higgins types, and dare I say, the Eagletons' as well.
    I think he meant players who a willing to run as hard defensively as they are offensively. Cooney and Higgins both struggled in this.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Unsociable Football!?
    That will come in handy this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Our pressure and tackling are unrelenting.
    Love watching all our young guns have huge appetites for the contested ball.
    Dead-Eye-Dicko is our most reliable set shot for goal.
    Matty Boyd-better disposal efficency then what I thought he had in him.