Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 33 of 90 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    What about Sean Darcy from Freo. Isn’t there some talk about him wanting to come back to Victoria (Geelong)?
    Definite yes to Darcy if he was open to a very good offer. He is developing into a good all round ruck and has a competitive instinct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Definite yes to Darcy if he was open to a very good offer. He is developing into a good all round ruck and has a competitive instinct.
    Darcy would be a slam dunk for us, perfect partner for English. Will never happen, sadly.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Darcy would be a slam dunk for us, perfect partner for English. Will never happen, sadly.
    To get Darcy from Freo we would probably need to trade English.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    To get Darcy from Freo we would probably need to trade English.
    Now that is an interesting one!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is an interesting one!
    No it's not Naughton and English will be the best forward combination in the competition. Good solid rucks can be found easier than good solid key forwards, and English will be way better than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No it's not Naughton and English will be the best forward combination in the competition. Good solid rucks can be found easier than good solid key forwards, and English will be way better than that.
    You're definitely underestimating how good Darcy is by calling him a good solid ruck. I rate him second to Gawn this season.

I rate Timmy, but we have a bloke waiting in the wings that apparently has some talent at the key forward caper.

In 2022/23, would be better with Darcy at first ruck and Marra as third tall, or Sweet as first ruck and English as third tall?

Post Thanks / Like

Darcy probably suits our needs more but Timmy is considerably better and more talented. I’d want extras.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    What about Sean Darcy from Freo. Isn’t there some talk about him wanting to come back to Victoria (Geelong)?
    Cobden boy. The interstate ones always go back to Geelong.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

You're definitely underestimating how good Darcy is by calling him a good solid ruck. I rate him second to Gawn this season.

I rate Timmy, but we have a bloke waiting in the wings that apparently has some talent at the key forward caper.

In 2022/23, would be better with Darcy at first ruck and Marra as third tall, or Sweet as first ruck and English as third tall?
    No no I mean do we really need Darcy or can we find a good solid ruckman to suit our needs? I guess I'm undervaluing the ruck role (as Bevo seems to do) rather than Darcy's ability. There is no way Bevo would consider an English for Darcy like trade. Would he?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No no I mean do we really need Darcy or can we find a good solid ruckman to suit our needs? I guess I'm undervaluing the ruck role (as Bevo seems to do) rather than Darcy's ability. There is no way Bevo would consider an English for Darcy like trade. Would he?
    Nah, I don't think so but it's interesting to think about how it would change our side. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for big, bullocking rucks that can mark and play big minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ to Freo for their Darcy? Sign me up
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Hands off, Cats: Dockers make move before ruck merry-go-round begins

THE RUCK merry-go-round is ready to ramp up for another year, but Fremantle has moved to ensure talented big man Sean Darcy is going nowhere.

The in-form big man is contracted to the end of 2022 but continually gets linked to Geelong, however AFL.com.au understands talks have started to extend his deal at the Dockers beyond the end of next year.

Darcy, 23, has had an impressive season with the Dockers and is keen to add to his current deal and remain in the west.

Despite seven young rucks being taken in this month's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, clubs are still expected to scour the trade and free agency market at the end of the year for readymade rucks searching for opportunities elsewhere.

Richmond's Mabior Chol is at the top of the list for many list managers, with the talented big man attracting interest after being in and out of the Tigers' juggernaut in the past few seasons.

Chol is unlikely to make a decision on his future until later in the season, with his young teammate Callum Coleman-Jones also having many suitors, including Gold Coast, as a forward/ruck.

Geelong has a pair of ruckmen out of contract at the end of this season, with first-choice big man Rhys Stanley's one-year extension due to expire and Esava Ratugolea's three-year contract coming to an end, while Darcy Fort looms as an option for clubs as he dominates at VFL level. Fort is contracted to the end of 2022.

Clubs had been monitoring Hawthorn big man Jon Ceglar at VFL level before his return to the senior side last Friday, when he starred with 20 disposals, 35 hitouts and a goal in the Hawks' surprise win over Sydney. Ceglar was on Brisbane's radar in 2019 before he penned a new deal with the Hawks, which stretches to the end of 2022.

The Swans were keen on Port Adelaide big man Peter Ladhams last season and have recently lost Sam Naismith to another anterior cruciate ligament injury that is likely to rule him out of action in 2022.

Ladhams (2022) and the yet-to-debut Sam Hayes (2023) are signed at Port Adelaide beyond this season but will continue to be targeted by rivals given they present as players who can step into the top level and perform and with Scott Lycett holding down the No.1 ruck position at Alberton.

Swans big man Callum Sinclair is out of contract at the end of the year, as is Paddy Ryder at St Kilda, who is keen to add another a third season to his time with the Saints.

Collingwood duo Mason Cox and Max Lynch are also out of contract, with the 22-year-old Lynch impressing in Monday's win over Melbourne as a replacement for injured star Brodie Grundy.

Also at the younger end, Lloyd Meek has played four games for the Dockers this season and done well and is without a deal for next year, while Giants ruck Matt Flynn broke through for his long-awaited debut earlier this season and has played eight games so far.

Among the other rucks who are without contracts for next year are Marc Pittonet (Carlton), Tom Campbell (North Melbourne) and Andrew Phillips (Essendon).

Stef Martin (Western Bulldogs), Tom Hickey (Sydney), Braydon Preuss (Greater Western Sydney), Peter Wright (Essendon) and Shaun McKernan (St Kilda) joined new clubs through either trades or free agency last off-season, with eight ruckmen changing clubs at the end of 2019 as clubs showed a preference to buy in experienced options rather than use selections at the national draft on young talls.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope he stays at the Dockers, stuff Geelong.

16. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Collingwood duo Mason Cox and Max Lynch are also out of contract, with the 22-year-old Lynch impressing in Monday's win over Melbourne as a replacement for injured star Brodie Grundy.
    Lynch has shown real signs. Held his own against Gawn and won't get the no 1 ruck gig while Grundy is there on a bazillion dollars for a thousand years
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo and Chol have McAveney and Cyril vibes. I know NicNat got them over the line but Chol, while his field kicking can be junky, was good. Very good.