Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 62 of 90 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Is it possible we have a mature ruck from the state leagues in mind?
    Most of them have been mined at the mid-season draft, and the good ones were tied to clubs already.

I'm no convinced Stef Martin's body holds up. I'm, not convinced Tim English is a first ruck option for 25 rounds. I'm not convinced Sweet is ready for week in, week out duties at senior AFL level yet.

I really think we need someone to add to our ruck stocks. Ideally, a mature option and a kid on the cusp of making it
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We’re not getting another ruckman are we?

Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    We’re not getting another ruckman are we?

Mason Cox, his coming to the RED WHITE AND BLUE
    The marketing writes itself.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    My understanding is there’s a Trade Committee that signs off on trades, to cover a rogue list manager. Something like Sam, Bevo, Granty and a board member.

I suspect it’s this committee where the hold up on rucks is. We’ve traded for KPF, KPD, mids, defenders and forwards. Nearly nothing on the ruck. Anyone on that committee could advocate to not look at rucks as trades. If they were persuasive that the list spot is wasted as the MC won’t select them, then that seems logical that Sam isn’t breaking his neck to sign a ruck as a trade.

That said, our 2022 First Rounder (with the points now) could be traded for a good ruckman. Interesting whether we look to plug the hole with a good ruck, or tinker around the edges. Or be overlooked by rucks who saw a brother ruck in Sweet sit in the stands while Young rucked. Maybe they don’t want that to happen to them next year while Gardner rucks while they sit it out. Who knows, but I live in hope we saw Jackson kill us and acknowledged the response is trading for a good ruckman.
    Hint to committee, ruckman win premierships, here is a list of a couple:

Jackson/Gawn
    Vardy/Lycett - 2018
    Pike/Mumford -20212
    Nankervis (3)
    Boyd/Roughead -2016
    Hale/McEvoy (2), Bailey/Hale

Brad Ottens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Mason Cox, his coming to the RED WHITE AND BLUE
    The marketing writes itself.
    Tell you the truth, he would be ok. No worse than Ceglar
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tell you the truth, he would be ok. No worse than Ceglar
    Has Cox ever played as a number 1 ruck for an extended period?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Not with Grundy around

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Not at AFL level.
    A few pies fans think he's a better ruckman than a forward but TBH I think that's not a high bar.

If the choice is between adding Cox or adding nobody, I much prefer we sign him. He'll be cheap, he's OOC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

If the choice is between adding Cox or adding nobody, I much prefer we sign him. He'll be cheap, he's OOC
    that is what I am thinking at this stage. I am not overly wrapped in Ceglar either, but out of the two I would take Ceglar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    that is what I am thinking at this stage. I am not overly wrapped in Ceglar either, but out of the two I would take Ceglar.
    Yeah it seems Ceglar is more likely to contribute around the ground.

Cox hasn't played as the no 1 ruck since 2017, it's a long time ago but he got plenty of hitouts but not too much around the ground involvement

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...-cox?year=2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    My understanding is there’s a Trade Committee that signs off on trades, to cover a rogue list manager. Something like Sam, Bevo, Granty and a board member.

I suspect it’s this committee where the hold up on rucks is. We’ve traded for KPF, KPD, mids, defenders and forwards. Nearly nothing on the ruck. Anyone on that committee could advocate to not look at rucks as trades. If they were persuasive that the list spot is wasted as the MC won’t select them, then that seems logical that Sam isn’t breaking his neck to sign a ruck as a trade.

That said, our 2022 First Rounder (with the points now) could be traded for a good ruckman. Interesting whether we look to plug the hole with a good ruck, or tinker around the edges. Or be overlooked by rucks who saw a brother ruck in Sweet sit in the stands while Young rucked. Maybe they don’t want that to happen to them next year while Gardner rucks while they sit it out. Who knows, but I live in hope we saw Jackson kill us and acknowledged the response is trading for a good ruckman.
    That's what I'd have figured as well, and I guess the difficult part often involves the political side of things. It wouldn't be too difficult to see a situation where say for instance Bevo and Grant agreed on the appropriate course of action, the board member was neutral and Sam was on the other side of the debate over who to recruit and left swinging in the breeze. I guess there's the possibility of/ need for veto power to break stalemates.

As an aside, I was on the committee for a year at my football club, with the president, secretary, treasurer and a few other players. We were making really good progress/ improvements on/ to things throughout the year, but all of a sudden it was becoming too collaborative. So the president, secretary and treasurer got together and decided that a restructure was in order, whereby they got to make the decisions and the players/ other committee members got to agree with them and do the actual work. My tenure on the committee wasn't for much longer after that. Footy clubs are weird places full of weird people.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes bulldogtragic, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damian Barrett reporting Lobb could head back to GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Damian reporting Lobb could head back to GWS.
    Well they have lost Finlayson and need to maintain their quota of unlikeables.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yeah it seems Ceglar is more likely to contribute around the ground.

Cox hasn't played as the no 1 ruck since 2017, it's a long time ago but he got plenty of hitouts but not too much around the ground involvement

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...-cox?year=2017
    I mentioned last year that Cox was dreadful as a ruckmen but I don’t think I did enough research. When I watched a bigger sample size he wasn’t as awkward as I thought and got his hand to the ball a lot.

Below is my view of the for and against to weigh up with Cox.

For

Sheer size gives us something different to throw up against teams with the absolute elite tap ruckmen.
    Can rest forward.

Against

Fairly sure he is still on a decent salary.
    Ability to join in team defence, cover ground and spread is limited.
    No impact on ground balls.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Fairly sure he is still on a decent salary.
    He is out of contract so he would sign for whatever is negotiated, his old contract isn't relevant.

Cox is probably my least favoured result, but admittedly I haven't seen enough of his ruckwork.

20. Thanks dog town thanked for this post