Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 42 of 90 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While there is plenty to like about English as a forward, we also need to consider the overall list.

As the season has progressed I feel English has improved his ruck output, although he is unlikely to become hitout dominant, he does give some really good advantage taps from time to time.

The other issue is fitting everyone else in.

Currently we have Naughton, JUH and Bruce as tall forwards and we expect to fit Sam Darcy into the side somewhere through the next 2 to 3 seasons. This surely limits the spots to play English as a regular forward.

The next 2 months might see a more definitive position develop as we assess Josh Schache as a defensive player covering opposition talls/ruck forwards.
    JUH and Naughton are seriously quick so there's no issue having them forward with other talls.
    Darcy may not even debut by the time Josh Bruce's contract is up and may not even play forward (plays CHB at Oakleigh).

We're replacing a McNeill/Scott with JUH (after another pre-season) in our early-year set-up if we keep English (or another ruck) forward. I think it could work.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we wanted, I dare say McEvoy would be gettable.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...6649706d19d257

Clarkson supporter. Will be 32 next year in a rebuilding rabble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

What would he cost?

I'd be keen at a low cost.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    What would he cost?

I'd be keen at a low cost.
    In the Clarko thread I mentioned a Future 4th for McEvoy & Pick 66 (tied to Richmond).

If he’s willing to walk out, a trade like this gives them some cover ie “we were going to pass on 66, so now we’ve got an extra pick next year, to strengthen our draft and rebuilding program while facilitating this trade”….

He’s under contract next year. What is he prepared to threaten to do? If it’s a lot, then his value is low. We went after him recently so he knows we like him. I think it’s down to what could happen if they don’t do the trade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

How close is Bevo to Big Ben?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Probably a foot, maybe a bit more.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    In the Clarko thread I mentioned a Future 4th for McEvoy & Pick 66 (tied to Richmond).

If he’s willing to walk out, a trade like this gives them some cover ie “we were going to pass on 66, so now we’ve got an extra pick next year, to strengthen our draft and rebuilding program while facilitating this trade”….

He’s under contract next year. What is he prepared to threaten to do? If it’s a lot, then his value is low. We went after him recently so he knows we like him. I think it’s down to what could happen if they don’t do the trade.
    The other thing to think of is their lack of KPD’s. If Hawthorn are one of the Melbourne based clubs into Young:

In: McEvoy, Pick 66
    Out: Young, Pick 90+ (If they wanted it)

Both clubs could mount a case of doing better.

Dogs: Two, maybe three years of Big Boy and 80 more Draft Points. For a player our MC clearly isn’t sold on.
    Hawks: Mature, flexible KPD with a decade left in him. For an unhappy player and a pick/swap that doesn’t mean anything to them.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 30-07-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    They know each other, Bevo’s last year there was Big Boys First at Hawthorn after the trade. He obviously knows Duryea well too. He’s familiar with Ameet Bains, he traded him to Hawthorn as requested.

11. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Probably a foot, maybe a bit more.
    Very good I'll pay that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

So the background:

Martin will have played 30% of the H&A season. He needs to retire or face being pushed.
    The new rookie rules allow us to hold onto Sweet as a rookie for a fourth year. That’s a handy outcome, so he stays.
    Sam Darcy won’t be rucking anytime soon.

So we need to replace Martin.

Option 1:

Will Bevo prefer English as #1 and use Schache/Bruce to support. If Schache mans up against the opposition #2 ruck up forward then he can run with them into the ruck. Against Melbourne he took 18 ruck contests and won 7, virtually a nil-all draw. That gives Bevo the most flexibility to only select one pure ruck. Cost: Nothing

Option 2:

Look to trade around the fringes at younger rucks Lynch, Meek etc. Hope they come on. Cost: Low-ish

Option 3:

Look for a genuine #1 ruckman, allowing English to go forward, or intercept mark in defence. Age not as relevant, so someone like a Ben McAvoy for 2-3 years taking the hard yards against the bigger, harder, more physical rucks. Cost low-medium (age, skill dependent)

Option 4:

Get a mature ruck, of any quality, just to get one for an insurance policy between Tim & Sweet. Such as Vardy. Cost: Low

Option 5:

Change things up, get someone similar to English, such as Ladhams, Chol etc. Neither are hulking rucks, but are younger and have good mobility and when either is forward and are both genuine goal kicking threats. So no huge hulking #1 to take the punishment from bigger, physical rucks, but with Tim there’s two very good rucks who can do what the need to do in ruck contests and have hurt factor around the ground. Cost: Higher

Option 6:

Look at any Delisted Free Agents, SSP former AFL rucks or draft State League Players. Cost: Nothing

14. Likes Danjul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching Ladhams tonight, I hope we are one of the multiple Vic clubs asking because they think he’s gettable. So versatile, hard at it and more improvement in him.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be sitting outside Whitten Oval holding a big sign saying “recruit mature ruck” during our trade period over the off season.

English ain’t it.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

English is so close. He got badly beaten in the ruck but destroyed Draper (who is bad, don't let the coming week of media fellatio convince you otherwise) around the ground and looked particularly dangerous up front when he could drag Draper down there.

He's going to be a jet once we put him in a position to succeed, which means more of the second part and less of the first. Sweet blows and is actually a worse ruckman than English, but if he lets us get the most out of English possible then maybe playing him is worth it?

I don't know. We need Martin back so bad.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    English is so close. He got badly beaten in the ruck but destroyed Draper (who is bad, don't let the coming week of media fellatio convince you otherwise) around the ground and looked particularly dangerous up front when he could drag Draper down there.

He's going to be a jet once we put him in a position to succeed, which means more of the second part and less of the first. Sweet blows and is actually a worse ruckman than English, but if he lets us get the most out of English possible then maybe playing him is worth it?

I don't know. We need Martin back so bad.
    Play English as a floating KPD/KPF and even winger, but never, ever, EVER as a number 1 ruck.

Sweet was tracking alright before Max Gawn got to him, I'll say that much, but I'd prefer us playing Young as ruck before anyone else right now, his shown more in there this year then anyone but Martin.

English just got completely toweled up by a kid in his 18th game. Not Max Gawn. Not Grundy or NicNat, a kid who's barely played AFL.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

With Bruce going down, I think a no 1 ruck is even more important now.
    Behind Luke Jackson, English is the best forward/ruck in the competition. Naughton and JUH are going get a pre-season together and the three of those guys will be our tall forward targets next year.

I know he's not the sexiest name going around, but I really want Max Lynch. He's no monster (200cm and 99kgs) but his running capacity for a ruckman is extraordinary and he'd fit in our system really well and at 22 years old is an 8-10 year prospect.
    More importantly he's gettable as he's stuck behind Grundy & Cameron at Collingwood.

21. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life liked this post