Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 61 of 90 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Are we now convincing ourselves of Cox? I mean... I rate him higher then English so why the hell not.
    I'd rather take a speculative pick in the draft, Cox would make me displeased to say the very least.

Surely we aren't that desperate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'd rather take a speculative pick in the draft, Cox would make me displeased to say the very least.

Surely we aren't that desperate.
    Unless Power pulls a power move and gets a contracted ruck to nominate us I have no idea who the *!*!*!*! he is landing this off season
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Unless Power pulls a power move and gets a contracted ruck to nominate us I have no idea who the *!*!*!*! he is landing this off season
    Sandilands to come out of retirement? It was reported that Geelong had sounded him out at some stage (he does fit their age profile).

4. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I share the disappointment but we cannot force players to nominate us.

If anything it just highlights that we've let this go on far too long. It's been at least 4 years of many people raising concern about our ruck situation. The fact that we're now desperate is nobody elses fault but our own.

It would be interesting to know why we aren't interested in somebody like Lynch.
    W00F!

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Sandilands to come out of retirement? It was reported that Geelong had sounded him out at some stage (he does fit their age profile).
    i saw a joke about this earlier in the trade week... it’s almost tempting tbh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I share the disappointment but we cannot force players to nominate us.

If anything it just highlights that we've let this go on far too long. It's been at least 4 years of many people raising concern about our ruck situation. The fact that we're now desperate is nobody elses fault but our own.

It would be interesting to know why we aren't interested in somebody like Lynch.
    yeah it’s just frustrating, how can a team who’s positioned so well except one role not attract someone to fill that role? We’re not the GCS, like shit.

no idea what Ceglar is thinking going to the retirement village that is the Cats.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it’s just frustrating, how can a team who’s positioned so well except one role not attract someone to fill that role? We’re not the GCS, like shit.

no idea what Ceglar is thinking going to the retirement village that is the Cats.
    I think we just don't pay overs and have a clear plan about what we think players are worth and stick to it.

Might be as simple as one v two year deal or something and I trust power as he sets his parameters and sticks to them.
    We aren't missing out on Nic Nat here.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Power was appointed list manager in December 2017, meaning this is his fourth full go at trade/ draft periods.

How much of the blame would rest with him if after four years he hasn't been able to land someone at least competent and reliable?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Sam Power was appointed list manager in December 2017, meaning this is his fourth full go at trade/ draft periods.

How much of the blame would rest with him if after four years he hasn't been able to land someone at least competent and reliable?
    Good question but probably difficult to give a correct answer.

My thinking is that the list management and coaching team would deliberate on what we need and who we need. It would then be Sam's job to go out and convince player X to come to us and negotiate a deal. Bevo/players would also play a role in the persuasion part.

I'm not sure who we have 'missed out' on in terms of a ruck. It seems only last year we decided we needed some cover and were happy to go and get Martin, and now we're 'in the market' without publicly committing to any one particular target.

I actually think the blame would rest more with our coaching team as they are likely the ones who would 'sign off' on going for a particular style of player (and in some cases a specific player). I'm not convinced we've made this a priority until now.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

You don't think he has done a good job so far? I'm not 100% on how it works but surely he is given a mandate by the footy department and he goes to work from there?? He's not going to go out and get 4 midfielders for us ... we don't need four mids; he's getting what he's been told we need ... best available, no dickheads would be the mantra.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Easy to say we don't rate rucks and why we didn't do this or that.

These are the rucks we had in the past 5 years

Roughead
    Boyd
    Campbell
    English

Trengove
    Boyd
    English
    Roughead

English
    Trengove
    Boyd - retired early in year
    Sweet

English
    Trengove
    Sweet

English
    Martin
    Sweet
    Young (not recognised ruck)

Comments

* Boyd retirement threw plans out
    * English didn't come along as much as we would have liked
    * Trengove lost form
    * 2020 was the worst year for drafting, as we didn't have enough picks to bring in another ruck after trading for Keath and Bruce.
    * In 5 years we brought in Trengove, Sweet, Martin

I tend to agree with MJP who once said we should draft a young developing ruck every year on the rookie list.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    You don't think he has done a good job so far? I'm not 100% on how it works but surely he is given a mandate by the footy department and he goes to work from there?? He's not going to go out and get 4 midfielders for us ... we don't need four mids; he's getting what he's been told we need ... best available, no dickheads would be the mantra.
    I think he's done a really good job, but like most, probably has some areas upon which he can improve. But it's hard to tell what those might be.

Not once have I heard Bevo say he doesn't rate rucks, in fact he's repeatedly stated the opposite or as similar to the opposite as you can get, but for some reason he seems to carry the can for there not being anyone decent or who he deems playable on the list. As soon as we got someone he thought was playable, for whatever reason, he has played him (Martin).

My view is there needs to be some tension between the list manager's priorities and the coach's priorities, because coach's can't be trusted to always think beyond their immediate futures/ self-interest and this distorts decision making when it comes to list management. If we don't have that tension or if the balance is out of whack it needs to be addressed immediately.

I'd be really surprised if anyone at the club didn't think it was a priority to land a playable ruck these past years, GG's assessment of why we haven't gotten one probably stacks up but you never know.

16. Likes bornadog, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Good question but probably difficult to give a correct answer.

My thinking is that the list management and coaching team would deliberate on what we need and who we need. It would then be Sam's job to go out and convince player X to come to us and negotiate a deal. Bevo/players would also play a role in the persuasion part.

I'm not sure who we have 'missed out' on in terms of a ruck. It seems only last year we decided we needed some cover and were happy to go and get Martin, and now we're 'in the market' without publicly committing to any one particular target.

I actually think the blame would rest more with our coaching team as they are likely the ones who would 'sign off' on going for a particular style of player (and in some cases a specific player). I'm not convinced we've made this a priority until now.
    Perhaps we haven't. Or perhaps we have difficulty in defining the type of ruck we want or need. Perhaps what we want or need doesn't exist at the price we're willing to pay.

There's a lot of factors I guess, and I think it's a bit narrow when people just single out a coach for not getting it done (not saying this is what you're doing, as I agree with a lot of your statements) when there's a list manager actually in charge of getting it done who hasn't managed to for three going on four years.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible we have a mature ruck from the state leagues in mind?

20. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is there’s a Trade Committee that signs off on trades, to cover a rogue list manager. Something like Sam, Bevo, Granty and a board member.

I suspect it’s this committee where the hold up on rucks is. We’ve traded for KPF, KPD, mids, defenders and forwards. Nearly nothing on the ruck. Anyone on that committee could advocate to not look at rucks as trades. If they were persuasive that the list spot is wasted as the MC won’t select them, then that seems logical that Sam isn’t breaking his neck to sign a ruck as a trade.

That said, our 2022 First Rounder (with the points now) could be traded for a good ruckman. Interesting whether we look to plug the hole with a good ruck, or tinker around the edges. Or be overlooked by rucks who saw a brother ruck in Sweet sit in the stands while Young rucked. Maybe they don’t want that to happen to them next year while Gardner rucks while they sit it out. Who knows, but I live in hope we saw Jackson kill us and acknowledged the response is trading for a good ruckman.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

22. Likes jeemak liked this post