Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 26 of 90 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From the same year English, Lipinski and Young have all added size but Greene probably lags behind them.
    I wonder if they’re comfortable w Greene’s size to keep a taller forward option with better agility and speed. Good vertical jump, reasonable overhead and a lovely kick, there’s potential he plays like a small with height.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So how do we feel about what is effectively a trade of Roughead for Trengove?

Roughy ----------------- Trengove

Out 2018 --------------- In 2017
    Pick 75 (not used) ----- Free agent
    L'ship Group 2018 ------ L'ship Group 2019
    Ruck/fwd/pinch hit KPD -- Ruck/fed/pinch hit KPD
    Draft: Pick 31, 2008 ---- Draft: Pick 22, 2008
    138 Games ------------ 169 Games
    200cm, 100kg -------- 197cm, 97kg

It seems like we've made effectivly a straight swap of the two, just a year held up. Hard to really split them too much, other than Trengove's body has allowed his to gain an extra 31 games over the same time. That physical durability and the coaches belief puts us ahead in the swap of them on the list.

(P.s. Roughy is a great human and premiership player, I'm not taking about that. Merely the list management over successive years that has brought effectivly the swap of he and Jackson.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I don't say this with a lot of confidence but I was told that had we not had to use pick 14 on Ayce Cordy in the 2008 draft then Trengove was right in the mix to be taken then. The careers between both Roughead and Trengove is almost identical including birth dates, height, weight and stats. Both are great club men as well

Lets hope Trengove has a good season for us in 2019
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Twodogs, Dry Rot, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't say this with a lot of confidence but I was told that had we not had to use pick 14 on Ayce Cordy in the 2008 draft then Trengove was right in the mix to be taken then. The careers between both Roughead and Trengove is almost identical including birth dates, height, weight and stats. Both are great club men as well

I don't agree with that. Trengove has had a better career overall than Roughy. He's done it better and for longer. Roughy has had his moments but without the consistency over the years. Like most of the team his 2016 was great but outside that he has never quite lived up to his potential.

So back to BT's question - I think we are ahead on the "trade" - Trengove is more flexible than Roughy forward and back and going on their most recent form also outperformed him in the ruck. Good luck to Roughy for the rest of his career but I am comfortable with the decision to let him go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't agree with that. Trengove has had a better career overall than Roughy. He's done it better and for longer. Roughy has had his moments but without the consistency over the years. Like most of the team his 2016 was great but outside that he has never quite lived up to his potential.

So back to BT's question - I think we are ahead on the "trade" - Trengove is more flexible than Roughy forward and back and going on their most recent form also outperformed him in the ruck. Good luck to Roughy for the rest of his career but I am comfortable with the decision to let him go.
    I suspect that if Roughead had have re-signed with us or maybe even retired there might have been a chorus of "but Roughy is a premiership player" to counter that statement but I agree there is a solid argument to say Trengove career has been superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy was quoted in the paper this morning as saying that his best footy was in front of him.

I dunno about that but good luck with it anyway.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Roughy was quoted in the paper this morning as saying that his best footy was in front of him.

I dunno about that but good luck with it anyway.
    Yep. Absolutely wish him luck. A great bloke by all accounts and he did take that mark after JJ’s disallowed goal...

10. Likes Testekill, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact we went tall with all three picks means there's certainly some credence to that.

Ayce was ruined by injury though. A friend of mine who's family has financially supported the dogs for decades was sitting with Tom Williams and Ayce Cordy one night while they compared injuries - Ayce won!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Trengove ahead in the ruck and as a defender, I don't rate either of them as a forward although Roughy is one of the best contested marks in the competition when up and going. No coincidence his best year was his most injury free year and even then he almost lost an eye.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Trengove ahead in the ruck and as a defender, I don't rate either of them as a forward although Roughy is one of the best contested marks in the competition when up and going. No coincidence his best year was his most injury free year and even then he almost lost an eye.
    Roughy is very clean in the air when he has a free jump at the ball.

Interested to hear that he wants to play more in defence. He gets knocked around too much when he plays in the ruck & up forward so he might be able to protect his body a bit more up back and become more durable.

Hope he goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

afel.com.au

JACKSON Trengove played just about every position in his first season at the Western Bulldogs, but he's hoping to lock down a more consistent role in 2019.

Lured home to Melbourne last year after seven seasons with Port Adelaide, the versatile big man quickly adhered to coach Luke Beveridge's versatility mantra.

Champion Data recorded his 2018 game time at 62 per cent as a defender, 18 per cent as a ruckman and 10 per cent as a forward.

Asked where he expected to play in 2019, the 28-year-old, said splitting his time between the ruck and attack is what he is hoping for.

"I expected to play in a few positions (last year), but not as many as I did," Trengove, who was added to the club's leadership group this week, joked.

"The last five or six games I really settled down in that ruck spot and going forward at some stage (of the game).

"I'm hoping and guessing it will be something similar, that ruck/forward (role), and go back if needed, but hopefully we don't need me to."

With Jordan Roughead traded to Collingwood and Tom Campbell delisted and subsequently recruited by North Melbourne, Trengove will assist the talented youngster Tim English in leading the Dogs' ruck division.

Tom Boyd is also there to provide some assistance but expected to prominently play his customary role in attack next season, while hulking draftee Jordon Sweet told AFL.com.au last week he's not a Whitten Oval to make up the numbers and is looking to making his presence felt at AFL level.

Trengove is yet to receive a physical examination at training from Sweet, but he said there's a lot to like about the South Australian rookie ruckman.

"The young kids take a couple of weeks to get as physical as they will get, they tend to come in and take it nice and easy, but (Jordon is) a big boy and an absolute monster of a man," Trengove said.

"He played in a premiership in the SANFL last year, which was pretty exciting for him, so I look forward to see what he's got."

One year into his stint at the Kennel, Trengove is impressed with the fitness the players and 10 fresh faces have presented in and believes the group is much further advanced than the same time last year.

"Just the condition and the way the boys came back (holidays), it set the tone for the footy club and we were ready to hit the deck straight away," Trengove said.

"We ran really good times in the run we do every year, and see that drive amongst the group, and it's something we'll look to build on over the next few weeks.

"The quality of the sessions and the work we’re able to put out has been a lot higher than this time last year."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks Go_Dogs, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Ayce was never up to it. Played with and against him in juniors and he got by on name and height.

Post Thanks / Like

By season 2019's end, I reckon Sweet will surprise many of us.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

19. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    In what way? On expectations for season ahead or how the player will finish the season by playing some senior games?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    With our injury history, he is a big chance to play some senior footy.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"