I think a few of us have been wondering when we would top up with a ruck or two. This year the balance is not too bad, provided Will stays fit, although I'm not a fan of Boyd or Redpath in the ruck. its not a retrospective thread.

Watching Hawthorn right now they've taken a ruckman from all tiers (top level, mid and prospective type) and all from other clubs. McEvoy a big trade, Hale the mid level sort at North (behind Macintosh & Golstein) and Ceglar cut by Collingwood. And all are showing good signs as rucks and second forwards.

Gets me thinking that as our game style is moving towards what Hawthorn are doing, that perhaps we might want to pursue a ruckman or two at years end. Even more so if Campbell & Cordy haven't played good game time. Seems having too many rucks is a good problem, and tall genuine forwards play as tall genuine forwards and not also as pretend ruckmen.

Hawthorn today have Ceglar & McEvoy, plus Gunston & Roughy as forwards. Would we lose too much run if we added in another ruckman who rests forward? Is Minson's great workhorse strength also a team limitation as he can't rest forward with any success? I'd love to hear Bevo's thoughts as he theory about players playing in multiple roles is working for a few guys and the team. I'd guess he'd like two rucks, but I also guess it would slow us down over the course of a game. Hopefully Cordy & Campbell are watching today and realising if you play your best footy, lots of talls can play in a side.