Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 24 of 90 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

It seems we were hell bent on moving on from both Campbell and Roughead, so having them on the list if they weren't going to be played wouldn't have made much sense.

I think this just reinforces that we think Boyd, Trengove and English can carry load, with assistance from smaller players on demand. I don't realty like it, but unless we don't see value greater than Roughead and Campbell in the lower leagues then it isn't going to change I suppose.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to Pederson; he's the very definition of a foot soldier so he's not exciting but he's been okay at Melbourne as a second ruck.
    I don't mind Pederson, but don't we already have a Pederson of the Trengove variety?
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely a take but I think the ruck rule change will have a pretty big impact on the way that rucking works in the AFL. Having the tallest possible person in the ruck is no longer the best strategy, but rather having someone physically strong enough to grab and lithe enough to burst away will be a huge asset.

Now finding that person is a bit of a challenge, but it'll definitely be a different looking set up than the one of the last two years we haven't really been competitive in.

As an aside, if I were a hypothetical club that had a dominant ruckman owing largely to his height, and just recruited another super tall slow dude to spell him, I'd be pretty irked.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Cam Pedersen is in our thoughts....
    As I posted elsewhere Peterson has already signed for the Bulldogs - the Phillip Island Bulldogs.

I will let you know how he goes next year as my club will be playing against him.

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We desperately need a mature toiler like Clarke to take some of the load.

Beveridge's thinking just isn't in line with how the game was played in 2018. I don't know how you could have watched the dominance Gawn and Grundy had but still think it's appropriate to ruck Boyd with Dunkley as relief.

8. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

Beveridge's thinking just isn't in line with how the game was played in 2018. I don't know how you could have watched the dominance Gawn and Grundy had but still think it's appropriate to ruck Boyd with Dunkley as relief.
    What was the alternative?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if we are one of the clubs that is looking at Darcy Fort from Central Districts. Was an invitee to the SA combine and reportedly a few clubs were looking at him.

Fights corruption in his spare time and could be Microphone Heads twin brother (with one of those furry things placed on his microphone to stop wind interference). On these two points alone he has my vote.

https://www.cdfc.com.au/season-2018/...playerview/618

Edit: Completely forgot he was at Footscray, what are the impressions from those that saw him regularly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

What’s the point if you’re clearly building a team that for the moment doesn’t want one and believes its first and only option is a developing and unique mobile ruck?

As for the dominance of the rucks you mentioned, why would you bother fighting elite talent with secon/third rate options that can only ruck at second/third rate standard and not deliver anything else? Our midfield isn’t good enough to cover that, so we may as well deploy a different strategy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I wonder if we are one of the clubs that is looking at Darcy Fort from Central Districts. Was an invitee to the SA combine and reportedly a few clubs were looking at him.

Fights corruption in his spare time and could be Microphone Heads twin brother (with one of those furry things placed on his microphone to stop wind interference). On these two points alone he has my vote.

Edit: Completely forgot he was at Footscray, what are the impressions from those that saw him regularly?
    Was under close watch by the club. Was tested. We passed. Highly doubtful we'd take him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

From memory, he wasn't very strong and was slow. He was OK with his actual tap work work but like BT said, I doubt he would be on our radar unless he has improved a fair bit.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Try Campbell. If he was a just another VFL player in 2018 rather than on our list and had the kind of year he did, we'd be talking about him as a potential rookie candidate to provide some ruck cover.

It's astounding to me that we were smashed most weeks in there (before Trengrove was finally moved into the spot) and yet he didn't play a single game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Try Campbell? CamHead beat Gawn a couple of years ago in tandem.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Try Campbell? CamHead beat Gawn a couple of years ago in tandem.
    CamHead was even getting praise from the Hun. Sometime after that it all went south for CamHead. After that run of form and press, if you'd said they'd be both out of the club for nothing a couple of years later, you'd think something went very wrong.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    CamHead was even getting praise from the Hun. Sometime after that it all went south for CamHead. After that run of form and press, if you'd said they'd be both out of the club for nothing a couple of years later, you'd think something went very wrong.
    Too true, although from memory this was pre-3rd man up rule?

I really think that rule change hurt us more than most acknowledge.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the take a risk catagory and go with English, Trengove as our primaries with Boyd/Schache there just in case. If it comes to bite us so be it but we could always throw Zaine or Fletch in there is shit really hits the fan.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"