Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 69 of 90 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1343

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Age reporting Ceglar to Geelong looking less likely
    The commentary is a little buried in an article about the Hawks general trading"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...08-p58yfd.html

Hawthorn also allowed contracted ruckman Jonathon Ceglar to explore his options in the trade period with Geelong showing initial interest in the 30-year-old ruckman however sources at the Cats said on Friday they were unlikely to make that deal.

So what's happened? Ceglar flagged preference to join the Cats, we had been linked to him but under what terms we're not sure. Is it a matter of our recruiting team putting an offer the player didn't feel was near the mark contractually whilst being possibly appealing to the Hawks, resulting in him getting the hots for a potentially better opportunity with another interested party?

Does this put us back into the race/ frame for him (it's not really a race if nobody else wants him I guess)? We said we're unlikely to try and secure another ruck, but that was after it was reported Ceglar had nominated the Cats as his preferred option. If this changes things, how do we feel about picking him up on the cheap if there's no competition for him?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Ryan @ The Age also commented that we’re not interested in Ceglar when asked the question yesterday.

‘… No, Stef Martin will re-sign. Already have Tim English & Sweet signed.’
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Peter Ryan @ The Age also commented that we’re not interested in Ceglar when asked the question yesterday.

‘… No, Stef Martin will re-sign. Already have Tim English & Sweet signed.’
    So how are we getting better? Sweet maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

I find it fascinating we think we’ve got the ruck situation covered after our experience this year….and the narrative from the head coach when we went with Young instead of English late in the year.

Ceglar would cost almost nothing in pick & salary.

What am I missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    So how are we getting better? Sweet maybe?
    Investing a lot of hope there.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it fascinating we think we’ve got the ruck situation covered after our experience this year….and the narrative from the head coach when we went with Young instead of English late in the year.

What am I missing?
    every big loss this year came for the most part, out of the ruck, Essendon, Sydney, GF. Bevo is on record saying our ruck department will look vastly different next season.

yet here we are, no Bruce, no Young, baking in a 5 gamer to be what? Our number one ruck? With backup from a 35 year old and English who should be kept forward 99% of the season to cover Bruce…

I’m at a *!*!*!*!ing loss if you ask me.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

What am I missing?
    At a guess, we want a certain type of ruckman which Ceglar might have fitted but he is preferring to go to Geelong.
    Plenty of time for us to unlock something else but at the moment it doesn't look like it we will land a genuine ruck man.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my question that I keep returning to is : who is available that will stop Gawn? We beat everyone else with our current setup.
    Don't get me wrong love to have Goldy for eg but at what price?
    Ceglar is average at best.

We need a) there to be a decent option and b) they want to move.

It's not as simple as it sounds.

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I guess my question that I keep returning to is : who is available that will stop Gawn? We beat everyone else with our current setup.

No one it's a moot point.

Is Ceglar really an upgrade on Martin? Are Ladhams or Lynch really better in the ruck than Sweet? Maybe Ceglar eeks out a few more games than Martin. Maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought Stef was ok in the last game until Jackson went and helped change the game (which is still mostly on the other 3 mids at each stoppage) but if he’s unavailable….

We risk losing very winnable games with Sweet in the ruck next season, and if Geelong has gone cold on Ceglar, we should be all over it

Post Thanks / Like

Thought Stef was ok in the last game until Jackson went and helped change the game (which is still mostly on the other 3 mids at each stoppage) but if he’s unavailable….

We risk losing very winnable games with Sweet in the ruck next season, and if Geelong has gone cold on Ceglar, we should be all over it
    I'm not as defeatist as in we will definitely lose games with the current setup.

Remember Jackson hadn't played a game until 2020.

Weve got Darcy coming in as well.

We can't be jumping at shadows with old blokes.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No one it's a moot point.

Is Ceglar really an upgrade on Martin? Are Ladhams or Lynch really better in the ruck than Sweet? Maybe Ceglar eeks out a few more games than Martin. Maybe.
    Age only re Ceglar v Martin.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with good knowledge want to list out the actual number of rucks in the comp who are damaging or at least able to consistently negate the influence of most damaging rucks? We could probably count them on one hand.

For me, it’s down to English. If he can just become even remotely consistently competent and competitive it’ll be a huge win. It’s not really asking too much I wouldn’t have thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Anyone with good knowledge want to list out the actual number of rucks in the comp who are damaging or at least able to consistently negate the influence of most damaging rucks? We could probably count them on one hand.

For me, it’s down to English. If he can just become even remotely consistently competent and competitive it’ll be a huge win. It’s not really asking too much I wouldn’t have thought.
    Spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as defeatist as in we will definitely lose games with the current setup.

Remember Jackson hadn't played a game until 2020.

Weve got Darcy coming in as well.

We can't be jumping at shadows with old blokes.
    I agree with this. One thing I like about Sweet is he is aggressive. If he can hone his tap work, he will be ok. Just needs experience, so we need to play him.
    Last edited by bornadog; 09-10-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes azabob, macca, westbulldog liked this post