Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 70 of 90 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1343

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm not as defeatist as in we will definitely lose games with the current setup.

Remember Jackson hadn't played a game until 2020.

Weve got Darcy coming in as well.

We can't be jumping at shadows with old blokes.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Anyone with good knowledge want to list out the actual number of rucks in the comp who are damaging or at least able to consistently negate the influence of most damaging rucks? We could probably count them on one hand.

For me, it’s down to English. If he can just become even remotely consistently competent and competitive it’ll be a huge win. It’s not really asking too much I wouldn’t have thought.
    Agreed.

If we were Mexican bandits and could kidnap Sean Darcy or Max Gawn and force them to play with us then that'd be great but outside of that all we can do is wait until trade period is actually over to see what happens.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Anyone with good knowledge want to list out the actual number of rucks in the comp who are damaging or at least able to consistently negate the influence of most damaging rucks? We could probably count them on one hand.

For me, it’s down to English. If he can just become even remotely consistently competent and competitive it’ll be a huge win. It’s not really asking too much I wouldn’t have thought.

Agree this is what we need to continue working towards as well as developing Sweet. We do need a back up for insurance purposes which we have currently with Martin, however any injuries will impact us big time. Not a fan of what is currently on the market with the exception of Ladhams but would be ok to pick another ruck for back up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Lobb is an older and less talented English. Both lack that uncompromising competitiveness needed to be #1 ruck, and they both drift in and out of games up forward. At least Tim has a monster tank and is able to cover the ground.
    I remember when Tim was starting out he said the player he modelled his game on was Rory Lobb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Jon Ralph now reporting the same thing. We're not looking for any rucks this off season and plan to go in with the three on our list.
    Surely Darcy will be our rookie ruck. Doesn't that make 4 Ralphy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No one it's a moot point.

Is Ceglar really an upgrade on Martin? Are Ladhams or Lynch really better in the ruck than Sweet? Maybe Ceglar eeks out a few more games than Martin. Maybe.
    Yes. I'm sorry to say it, but yes.
    Sweet is a speculative kid at best yet we seem set to laregly rely on him to lead our ruck division next year. Stef may or may not get on the paddock and many of us ave question marks about English's aggression as a first ruck.

And if we cop injuries...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Surely Darcy will be our rookie ruck. Doesn't that make 4 Ralphy?
    205cm and about 84kgs and has had two interrupted development years. We'd be lucky if he debuts - and many suggest he's a KPD or KPF and part-time ruck at best.

I'm hoping for a Dustin Fletcher style defender and his ability to read the ball in front of him has been highlighted by a few who saw him at the Chargers. He's a talent but raw as hell.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Rucks set to roll around again until trade music stops

Gold Coast were caught short this season in the ruck department when all their candidates - Jarrod Witts, Zac Smith and youngster Matt Conroy - were injured at once.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick even suggested loaning Samson Ryan to the Suns, which was a bit of shock to poor old Samson who had only just escaped the Sunshine State via the national draft.

The Suns weren’t the only team to battle, with Carlton and the Western Bulldogs, at times, looking at their list and finding all the rucks in casualty.

That’s why when the trade period rolls around the ruck merry-go-round spins again, as most clubs now want to take four ruckman into a season, which ideally includes the first ruckman, a ruck-forward, a back-up ruck and a developing ruckman, maybe two.

Seven ruckmen were selected in the first 18 picks in this year’s mid-season draft as the “talls wanted” sign went up at several clubs, showing that the demand remains ever present.

In this AFL trade period, Collingwood’s Max Lynch, Geelong’s Darcy Fort and Hawthorn’s Jonathon Ceglar’s moves are potentially reliant on each other while Sydney are keen on Port Adelaide’s Peter Ladhams and St Kilda are interested in North Melbourne’s Tristan Xerri.

Collingwood’s Mason Cox is in limbo, wondering whether Lynch’s move helps his chances of a new contract at the Pies, and delisted Blue Levi Casboult holds on to the dream of extending his career as country clubs hover for his services. The Giants, meanwhile, are hunting Fremantle’s Rory Lobb - a player some would prefer to describe as a forward.

Jordon Sweet re-signed with the Western Bulldogs after looking at the market while Richmond’s Callum Coleman-Jones went to North Melbourne and Tiger tall Mabior Chol headed to the Suns.

The situation involving Lynch, Fort and Ceglar is most intriguing as the Hawks circle Lynch while they wait for the Cats to commit to Ceglar, but the Cats only really want to if Fort is so keen to get to the Lions that they would be better served letting him go despite being contracted.

The Cats are sticking to the line that Fort is more likely to stay than go while Ceglar is less likely to arrive, but the decision remains far from final, stalling the merry-go-round. The Hawks don’t really want both Lynch and Ceglar on their books while the Magpies keep Cox - who is not attracting much interest - waiting to see what happens.

Port Adelaide and Sydney will enter a dance over Ladhams - who has a year remaining on his contract and was a regular in Port Adelaide’s team from round nine until the season ended in the preliminary final - as Port would like a first-round pick for him.

The Swans, who have veterans Tom Hickey and Callum Sinclair and rookie Lachlan McAndrew, could do with Ladhams, who is 23, but they won’t want to hand over a first-round selection for him.

The going price historically for ruckmen who change clubs has been a third-round pick or a late second-round pick, with Braydon Preuss, Marc Pittonet, Hickey, Toby Nankervis, Witts and Darcy Cameron around that mark.

It’s why North Melbourne thought the Tigers might accept pick 40 for Coleman-Jones, a deal that eventually cost them 40, Robbie Tarrant (who could have left as a free agent anyway) and a future second-round pick for a future fourth-round pick and selections 42 and 47, as the player knew he couldn’t leave the Tigers empty-handed after what they had done for him.

He joins the ranks of second-club ruckmen that very few avoid over careers that can last a decade without getting close to 10 senior games a season, the joke being that the back-up ruckman becomes more valuable at trade time given the fewer senior opportunities they have had to be exposed.

If the next three days pan out how we expect, Fort will be a Lion, Lynch a Hawk, Ceglar a Cat, Ladhams a Swan, Lobb a Giant and Xerri a Saint.

In this all or nothing rucking business, the merry-go-round will eventually crank into gear for another year and the Suns will hope they don’t suddenly fall short ever again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Rucks set to roll around again until trade music stops

Gold Coast were caught short this season in the ruck department when all their candidates - Jarrod Witts, Zac Smith and youngster Matt Conroy - were injured at once.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick even suggested loaning Samson Ryan to the Suns, which was a bit of shock to poor old Samson who had only just escaped the Sunshine State via the national draft.

The Suns weren’t the only team to battle, with Carlton and the Western Bulldogs, at times, looking at their list and finding all the rucks in casualty.

That’s why when the trade period rolls around the ruck merry-go-round spins again, as most clubs now want to take four ruckman into a season, which ideally includes the first ruckman, a ruck-forward, a back-up ruck and a developing ruckman, maybe two.

Seven ruckmen were selected in the first 18 picks in this year’s mid-season draft as the “talls wanted” sign went up at several clubs, showing that the demand remains ever present.

In this AFL trade period, Collingwood’s Max Lynch, Geelong’s Darcy Fort and Hawthorn’s Jonathon Ceglar’s moves are potentially reliant on each other while Sydney are keen on Port Adelaide’s Peter Ladhams and St Kilda are interested in North Melbourne’s Tristan Xerri.

Collingwood’s Mason Cox is in limbo, wondering whether Lynch’s move helps his chances of a new contract at the Pies, and delisted Blue Levi Casboult holds on to the dream of extending his career as country clubs hover for his services. The Giants, meanwhile, are hunting Fremantle’s Rory Lobb - a player some would prefer to describe as a forward.

Jordon Sweet re-signed with the Western Bulldogs after looking at the market while Richmond’s Callum Coleman-Jones went to North Melbourne and Tiger tall Mabior Chol headed to the Suns.

The situation involving Lynch, Fort and Ceglar is most intriguing as the Hawks circle Lynch while they wait for the Cats to commit to Ceglar, but the Cats only really want to if Fort is so keen to get to the Lions that they would be better served letting him go despite being contracted.

The Cats are sticking to the line that Fort is more likely to stay than go while Ceglar is less likely to arrive, but the decision remains far from final, stalling the merry-go-round. The Hawks don’t really want both Lynch and Ceglar on their books while the Magpies keep Cox - who is not attracting much interest - waiting to see what happens.

Port Adelaide and Sydney will enter a dance over Ladhams - who has a year remaining on his contract and was a regular in Port Adelaide’s team from round nine until the season ended in the preliminary final - as Port would like a first-round pick for him.

The Swans, who have veterans Tom Hickey and Callum Sinclair and rookie Lachlan McAndrew, could do with Ladhams, who is 23, but they won’t want to hand over a first-round selection for him.

The going price historically for ruckmen who change clubs has been a third-round pick or a late second-round pick, with Braydon Preuss, Marc Pittonet, Hickey, Toby Nankervis, Witts and Darcy Cameron around that mark.

It’s why North Melbourne thought the Tigers might accept pick 40 for Coleman-Jones, a deal that eventually cost them 40, Robbie Tarrant (who could have left as a free agent anyway) and a future second-round pick for a future fourth-round pick and selections 42 and 47, as the player knew he couldn’t leave the Tigers empty-handed after what they had done for him.

He joins the ranks of second-club ruckmen that very few avoid over careers that can last a decade without getting close to 10 senior games a season, the joke being that the back-up ruckman becomes more valuable at trade time given the fewer senior opportunities they have had to be exposed.

If the next three days pan out how we expect, Fort will be a Lion, Lynch a Hawk, Ceglar a Cat, Ladhams a Swan, Lobb a Giant and Xerri a Saint.

In this all or nothing rucking business, the merry-go-round will eventually crank into gear for another year and the Suns will hope they don’t suddenly fall short ever again.
    And the Dogs are left standing with their proverbial in their hand.

At least we aren't accepting mediocrity type ruckman I suppose. I'd still like to see us have a crack at Ladhams
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Benny Hudson, come on down.

Where is The People's Beard when you need him ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This from the Hun

Ceglar is prepared to leave and the Hawks are prepared to pay as much as $200,000 of his $350,000 salary and while he seems keen to get to Geelong, surely the Dogs make a more appealing destination to win a flag.

Maybe we still aren't out of the race.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This from the Hun

Ceglar is prepared to leave and the Hawks are prepared to pay as much as $200,000 of his $350,000 salary and while he seems keen to get to Geelong, surely the Dogs make a more appealing destination to win a flag.

Maybe we still aren't out of the race.

Was that from Friday?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Was that from Friday?
    Last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Hes hardly inspiring but surely Ceglar on $150,000 for virtually no trade capital is a better plan than a broken Martin (who would be in similiar if not more), Sweet or English?

Buys you two years for Sweet or English to come on, and in the meantime rookie a huge and athletic 20 year old and see if they can come good as an alternative succession plan.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Hes hardly inspiring but surely Ceglar on $150,000 for virtually no trade capital is a better plan than a broken Martin (who would be in similiar if not more), Sweet or English?

Buys you two years for Sweet or English to come on, and in the meantime rookie a huge and athletic 20 year old and see if they can come good as an alternative succession plan.
    I guess the other consideration is around what if English doesn't re sign with us next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I guess the other consideration is around what if English doesn't re sign with us next year?
    In which context?

Bringing in a ruck so he doesn't play there means he is less likely to want to stay?

Or, we need to plan in case he wants to leave?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right