Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 55 of 90 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Mentions that it’s accepted we’ll sign Stef again….so…are we *really* in the market for another ruck?
    Well Ceglar plays an average of a dozen or so games, and Stef on a rookie list makes sense as a ruck coach if we have a young enough ruck on the list worth coaching and might play a few if his body is ok.

I'd still want at least one developing kid on the list as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sam Darcy?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam Darcy?
    I'm not convinced he's a ruck/forward TBH.
    Some scouts prefer him as an intercepting KPD.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced he's a ruck/forward TBH.
    Some scouts prefer him as an intercepting KPD.
    That would be good
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Ceglar plays an average of a dozen or so games, and Stef on a rookie list makes sense as a ruck coach if we have a young enough ruck on the list worth coaching and might play a few if his body is ok.

Ceglar, Sweet, English and Martin as a rookie. That would just about be enough coverage wouldn’t it?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Ceglar, Sweet, English and Martin as a rookie. That would just about be enough coverage wouldn’t it?
    It would beat what we had this year.

Ceglar- hopefully play 60%+ of games
    Stef- even if he can get through 25-30% of the games to cover + mentor would definitely be worth a spot
    Sweet- another year of maturing, hopefully at level where he is decent/enough for Bevo to trust
    English- not sure English ever gets there as a R1 but another year of development

Just need Ceglar and Sweet to coordinate their injuries! Have Stef a bit like Mummy at GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all that, just wondering what our reality is if we intend to give Stef another year and hope that Sweet stays.

I think Ceglar would be a solid addition - if both were fit, I’d consider play him with Stef and let Chili fight it out with Ceglar for the 2nd ruck role
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Agree with all that, just wondering what our reality is if we intend to give Stef another year and hope that Sweet stays.

I think Ceglar would be a solid addition - if both were fit, I’d consider play him with Stef and let Chili fight it out with Ceglar for the 2nd ruck role
    I'm not sure English stays if he started getting pushed back to VFL level.
    I'm not convinced Martin can stay on the paddock. He had a bunch of issues this year and wasn't getting off the ground much in the GF.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not play Stef and Ceglar together. I'd nurse the one not play through. Try to have one ready to play each week. The other one can rest or play restricted minutes in the VFL (more for Stef, ramp up if Ceglar playing a lot).

Post Thanks / Like

Ceglar's a plodder and I don't like ruck's that have done an ACL. What he provides over English and Sweet and probably a 35 year old Martin is he knows his limitations and is good at halving contests. Getting Ceglar won't mean we win more games directly because we have him but it may help us to ensure that opposition rucks don't completely pull our pants down which has happened repeatedly over the past 3 years. At least Ceglar is ruckman size and can ruck.

Weren't Brisbane into him a few years ago?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ceglar's a plodder and I don't like ruck's that have done an ACL.
    Like Gawn and Nic Nat?

14. Likes Mofra, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Like Gawn and Nic Nat?
    Two freaks and in the best handful of players in the comp. All I'm saying is that I don't trust his body. I'd much prefer we target a younger ruckman with a shorter injury history.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure English stays if he started getting pushed back to VFL level.
    I'm not convinced Martin can stay on the paddock. He had a bunch of issues this year and wasn't getting off the ground much in the GF.
    Agree, Tim would likely explore his options if he wasn’t getting games - in the scenario I present, it’s unlikely to be most weeks given the injury history of both of the older guys, so I’d expect Tim to play…still worth exploring though.

If Stef accepts the rookie / break glass in case of emergency role than I reckon Ceglar could be really good for us.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Two freaks and in the best handful of players in the comp. All I'm saying is that I don't trust his body. I'd much prefer we target a younger ruckman with a shorter injury history.
    I asked about Ceglar's injury history somewhere but not sure it was ever answered? I know he hasn't played full seasons but I was wondering if it was injury or selection related. I don't think he had too many injury worries this year, I think mostly he missed games due to Reeves being preferred at times.

A younger ruckman is good in theory but there aren't too many available, particularly at a cheap price and someone like Lynch is totally unproven and may be no better than Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    A younger ruckman is good in theory but there aren't too many available, particularly at a cheap price and someone like Lynch is totally unproven and may be no better than Sweet.
    Max Lynch played against Gawn, just as Sweet did. The results were vastly different.
    Personally I think Lynch is a significant upgrade on Sweet and I'm perplexed at why we aren't even considering him, let alone going hard to get him across.