Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 73 of 90 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1343

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There were quite a number available though, that's the angst. Plenty have re-signed in the past few months and some are still unsigned.
    Yeah I totally agree. Suppose my point is we can’t put it down as a failure by Power without knowing all the facts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I share your frustrations with not getting a ruck and KPD. But without knowing who’s available, who Bevo and co want to target etc it’s hard to judge how much of it is Powers fault. If there are no ruckman and KPDs available what can Sam do? You can go hard and try pry out a contracted player but we don’t have the picks to bargain with. That probably has never stopped Dodo before and with us challenging for a flag you’d think players would be licking their lips wanting to come to us. I just don’t think we can put it down to a failure on Sams part.
    Blame Bevo!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Blame Bevo!
    Dunkley was a viable ruck option before you tried to give him the lemonade and Sars...!

4. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I totally agree. Suppose my point is we can’t put it down as a failure by Power without knowing all the facts.
    Agree.

I mean it's really Happy Days fault for failing to get Goldy.

But surely the feelers go out for someone like that and if he says no deal then that's it. What else can you do?

Post Thanks / Like

If there are no ruckman and KPDs available what can Sam do?
    Two years running? There have been no ruckmen or key defenders either available or vulnerable to a superior offer from us for two years running?

Stefan Martin doesn't count, he was a cooked 35 year old who's position had been made redundant by McInerney.

I really rate what Sam Power has done with his deals, and he has shown he can attract good players with Keath and Bruce, but for him to truly be talked about as a God on here I'd like to see him actually address our weaknesses given multiple chances at it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes jeemak, Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The end of the day, it doesn’t matter who’s at fault.

What matters is if we go into next year with Martin, Sweet and English as our entire ruck group. It’s utter madness that we’re even in a position for that to be an option.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Two years running? There have been no ruckmen or key defenders either available or vulnerable to a superior offer from us for two years running?

Stefan Martin doesn't count, he was a cooked 35 year old who's position had been made redundant by McInerney.

I really rate what Sam Power has done with his deals, and he has shown he can attract good players with Keath and Bruce, but for him to truly be talked about as a God on here I'd like to see him actually address our weaknesses given multiple chances at it.
    I'm mostly in agreement, but I don't hear any really viable options being proffered.

Talia and Tarrant I'd go for as KPD.

Ruck, it's slim.

I'm surprised Sinclair re-signed with the Swans.

No one else has picked up a Gawn beating ruckman.

Blood from a stone stuff it seems in the market. Ladhams is the one but even the Swans won't pay a first rounder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm mostly in agreement, but I don't hear any really viable options being proffered.
    Strachan and Lynch have been mentioned a number of times.
    We were linked to Ceglar but he looks set to choose Geelong.
    I assume our due diligence of Ladhams led us to say no (did we even ask about Sam Hayes though?)
    Lloyd Meek only re-signed a couple of months back so it appears we didn't sound him out either.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Talia and Tarrant I'd go for as KPD.

Ruck, it's slim.

I'm surprised Sinclair re-signed with the Swans.

No one else has picked up a Gawn beating ruckman.

Blood from a stone stuff it seems in the market. Ladhams is the one but even the Swans won't pay a first rounder.
    Ladhams has just officially nominated Sydney. Swans have Hickey, Sinclair, Naismith, a rookie McAndrew and may well add Ladhams. Also Amartey who is more a forward but plays relief ruck. Quite a contrast from our ruck stocks. Surely Sinclair wouldn't have counted on Ladhams potentially pushing him back in the queue.

Post Thanks / Like

Strachan and Lynch have been mentioned a number of times.
    We were linked to Ceglar but he looks set to choose Geelong.
    I assume our due diligence of Ladhams led us to say no (did we even ask about Sam Hayes though?)
    Lloyd Meek only re-signed a couple of months back so it appears we didn't sound him out either.
    That sounds like a who's who of average speculative types.

Thanks for that info. I'll do some more research into them but it seems like Goldstein types aside there's not alot out there to get excited about.

We aren't going to recruit a Gawn beater is my point.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure a player re-signing means he hasn't been sounded out by opposition clubs. Sweet just re-signed after clearly attracting some enquiries.

Post Thanks / Like

To the posters who are saying not many names are being offered about go back to page one and actually see when this thread was started. It started in bloody 2015!!

This RUCK issue is not new. In fact it is going into its 7th year.

The fact is we put all our eggs into the Tim English basket once we drafted him and it has backfired.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes Mofra, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Ladhams has just officially nominated Sydney. Swans have Hickey, Sinclair, Naismith, a rookie McAndrew and may well add Ladhams. Also Amartey who is more a forward but plays relief ruck. Quite a contrast from our ruck stocks. Surely Sinclair wouldn't have counted on Ladhams potentially pushing him back in the queue.
    Wow, why would Sinclair re-sign and can we possibly still nudge him out?

Ive been on the Sinclair train for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    To the posters who are saying not many names are being offered about go back to page one and actually see when this thread was started. It started in bloody 2015!!

This RUCK issue is not new. In fact it is going into its 7th year.

The fact is we put all our eggs into the Tim English basket once we drafted him and it has backfired.
    Is that me?

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a who's who of average speculative types.

Thanks for that info. I'll do some more research into them but it seems like Goldstein types aside there's not alot out there to get excited about.

We aren't going to recruit a Gawn beater is my point
    I think that's an unfair bar to set. Of course we aren't going to recruit a Gawn beater, there isn't one in the entire league.

There are a multitude of options that would at least show we are trying to fix the problem.

A Hickey, Ceglar, Stanley, Cameron, Sinclair type would be cheap and surely could be sold on the idea of opportunity in a very good side, I mean Hickey, Nankervis and Witts would've all fit in that category in the past and are now good.

Could try to pry out an established senior ruck like Goldstein, Nankervis, McEvoy. They're short term fixes but it'd be like Hawthorn grabbing Brian Lake to top up their excellent side.

Or we could try and get in ahead of one of the young guys emerging, like Williams, Meek, Hayes, CCJ, Flynn, Briggs, Strachan, Xerri, Reeves, Bryan. They seem speculative, but rewind 2-3 years and names like O'Brien, Darcy, Ladhams, Draper and McInerney would have sat comfortably in that list of unproven rucks.

Just whatever we do, don't go for Preuss.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

19. Likes jeemak, Mofra, Grantysghost, azabob, boydogs liked this post