Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 83 of 90 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1343

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    No I'm protesting his discriminatory distribution.
    Do you have a car?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Do you have a car?
    Do YOU have a car?
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It’d be nice to have options with Sam. Let his footy at the top level work out where he hurts oppositions the most. For me, I’m not yet going to say it’s any one part of the ground. If we get another ruckman in the SSP, that can play next year, then Bevo has the flexibility and time to see where he hurts teams the most. He could even be a hybrid of a hybrid, a new class altogether.

As I’ve said in another thread:

Lobb replaced Schache on the main list as ruck/forward
    Sweet replaced Martin on the main list as a ruck
    No one had replaced Sweet yet on the rookie list as a ruck

The question is what if Tim gets an LTI? If Sweet isn’t at the level enough, then Lobb (Freo leading goal kicker & top 10 Contested Marks) is rucking and Darcy goes forward, and Marra doesn’t get the third defender anymore. Darcy may have to ruck more next year than ideal. The exciting prospect of Three AFEL quality athletic players over 205cm is real. But it’s underpinned by a #1 ruck whether or not you like it being Tim. We need to replace a ruck on the rookie list to keep balance on the list and flexibility for all, especially Darcy.

I want to be rucked hard and fast now. Even someone I’ve passed on like Naismith if he passes a medical and trains well over summer would be fine by me now.
    I think Bruce is the obvious person to carry the ruck load with Lobb if English goes down, with Sweet playing if the match ups are OK. We still actually need to figure out how to play all of Lobb, Bruce and English, let alone trying to fit Darcy or Sweet into a ruck role.

That's not to say I don't want another ruck in development/ waiting to put pressure on Sweet and Bruce. To me it should be a priority as both might have ordinary seasons and leave us exposed in 2024 and beyond.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Haha I've been waiting over a year to answer this.

I reckon it was the mid 00's when it exploded to become a major flavour or for me the major flavour. It's been around since the late 70's though apparently.

For me it's all about the balance it brings, turns something sickly sweet into something with depth and balance in flavour. Apparently, it also makes your brain release morphine like endorphins which explains it's popularity.
    The bliss point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_point_(food)

It's why stoners believe BBQ sauce is best on a double buttered, double cheesed, double ham and tomato pressed sandwich.........so I'm told........I guess - if we're pretending I don't have actual experience in the matter.

6. Likes chef, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think Bruce is the obvious person to carry the ruck load with Lobb if English goes down, with Sweet playing if the match ups are OK. We still actually need to figure out how to play all of Lobb, Bruce and English, let alone trying to fit Darcy or Sweet into a ruck role.

That's not to say I don't want another ruck in development/ waiting to put pressure on Sweet and Bruce. To me it should be a priority as both might have ordinary seasons and leave us exposed in 2024 and beyond.
    It's definitely an option to use Bruce but it's not going to work that well for us.

So in order it's probably English, Sweet, Lobb, Bruce and at a pinch Gardner and Darcy.

When thinking about Darcy in the ruck I just keep going back to Collingwood using Josh Fraser there before he was physically prepared for the role and they basically run him into the ground and he never reached his potential.
    Darcy needs to avoid being used in the ruck for all of 2023 and maybe 2024 and he should be groomed as Lobb's replacement not a 4 quarter ruck man week after week.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's definitely an option to use Bruce but it's not going to work that well for us.

So in order it's probably English, Sweet, Lobb, Bruce and at a pinch Gardner and Darcy.

When thinking about Darcy in the ruck I just keep going back to Collingwood using Josh Fraser there before he was physically prepared for the role and they basically run him into the ground and he never reached his potential.
    Darcy needs to avoid being used in the ruck for all of 2023 and maybe 2024 and he should be groomed as Lobb's replacement not a 4 quarter ruck man week after week.
    These are the combos I see playing out if it gets bad.

English and Lobb/ Bruce
    English and Bruce/ Lobb
    Lobb and Bruce
    Sweet and Lobb/ Bruce
    Sweet and Bruce/ Lobb
    Everyone and Jones
    Anyone and Darcy

I really don't see Darcy rucking as a problem we'll have to face. I get we want another ruck, but in a Bevo side we're about as covered as we'll ever be for cover in rucking.

Darcy will ultimately become and amazing ruck/ forward and we'll love him for being the best at it in the league.

9. Likes chef, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't disagree with this more strongly.

While Darcy is not ready for a full ruck role, I see no issue with him taking turns particularly against opposition second rucks.

His limited exposure to the position has shown that he has the ability to be very good in the hit outs and can gives us excellent stoppage work.

He could absolutely become a 4 quarter ruckman if/when he builds sufficient endurance.

We should have the option to use him as and when it suits as long as we look after his physical development also.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I can't disagree with this more strongly.

While Darcy is not ready for a full ruck role, I see no issue with him taking turns particularly against opposition second rucks.

His limited exposure to the position has shown that he has the ability to be very good in the hit outs and can gives us excellent stoppage work.

He could absolutely become a 4 quarter ruckman if/when he builds sufficient endurance.

We should have the option to use him as and when it suits as long as we look after his physical development also.
    I get the logic but here is a player that didn't play a lot of football before we drafted him and even less in the ruck in those games and who came to us with a significant injury that slowed his progress in his first season.
    He is also physically under developed and he is again on light duties now.
    I don't believe we drafted him to play in the ruck and his versatility can see him currently projected more as a 3rd type forward or defender so why would we want to rush him into rucks role other than Bevo and the list managements team reluctance to address the rucks position?
    He will play in the ruck in time but the aim for 2023 should be to manage him through the season and get as many senior or VFL games into him as possible and I don't think that crashing him into more physically mature opponents before he is ready is good for his development anyway.
    The aim should be to groom him for a Rory Lobb forward (or defender) role hat takes a turn in the ruck. If he plays a lot of football this year and starts to physically develop then we could adjust the plan.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the logic but here is a player that didn't play a lot of football before we drafted him and even less in the ruck in those games and who came to us with a significant injury that slowed his progress in his first season.
    He is also physically under developed and he is again on light duties now.
    I don't believe we drafted him to play in the ruck and his versatility can see him currently projected more as a 3rd type forward or defender so why would we want to rush him into rucks role other than Bevo and the list managements team reluctance to address the rucks position?
    He will play in the ruck in time but the aim for 2023 should be to manage him through the season and get as many senior or VFL games into him as possible and I don't think that crashing him into more physically mature opponents before he is ready is good for his development anyway.
    The aim should be to groom him for a Rory Lobb forward (or defender) role hat takes a turn in the ruck. If he plays a lot of football this year and starts to physically develop then we could adjust the plan.
    While I agree that we need to look after his physical development, why should we limit him.

If he shows he can handle the number 1 ruck role he should be allowed to do it.

He may take some time and he may also contribute strongly in other roles back or more likely forward.

What we need is to make the most of our list and win flags.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While I agree that we need to look after his physical development, why should we limit him.

If he shows he can handle the number 1 ruck role he should be allowed to do it.

He may take some time and he may also contribute strongly in other roles back or more likely forward.

What we need is to make the most of our list and win flags.
    We are looking at this from opposite directions. To me for Darcy to reach his potential he needs to avoid any prolonged efforts in the ruck for next year and the aim is to get him to play as much footy as he can to catch-up on all the footy he has missed over the last 3 years due to Covid and injuries. I think you are cautiously saying we shouldn't limit him and while I don't disagree with that putting him into the ruck before he is ready is more likely to limit his progress than any benefit gained.

If I see him at training jumping well and looking competitive in the ruck I will change my mind soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo was just asked if he supported a mid season trade period on 360 with reference to Collingwood loosing a few ruckman. He did say he prefers a war of attrition but in the ruck example he could see the value. He then went on record to state that he does rate Ruckman even though the rhetoric out there is that he doesn't lol

It made me think of this thread, have a feeling Bevo might have read a few pages!

15. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Bevo was just asked if he supported a mid season trade period on 360 with reference to Collingwood loosing a few ruckman. He did say he prefers a war of attrition but in the ruck example he could see the value. He then went on record to state that he does rate Ruckman even though the rhetoric out there is that he doesn't lol

It made me think of this thread, have a feeling Bevo might have read a few pages!
    What was that on? 360?

Post Thanks / Like

yes it was
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

18. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As at round three he’s the coach of your 2023 All Australian ruckman, who for better or worse he’s also spent 3 seasons of selection goodwill to develop. Of course he rates ruckmen.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    As at round three he’s the coach of your 2023 All Australian ruckman, who for better or worse he’s also spent 3 seasons of selection goodwill to develop. Of course he rates ruckmen
    It's possible he didn't give him a coaches vote.

English got 2, and it was from one coach.

I'm tipping fages!