Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 10 of 90 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    Ayce back on the rookie list?
    Possibly. He's likely to play at Footscray anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    Ayce back on the rookie list?
    Hell no.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't waste time or a pick on a ruck. I'd put my hard earned on Campbell. He's going to have to sink or swim next year with support from Minson and potentially Roughie. I hate the idea of drafting young rucks and would rather put my eggs in the free agent / trade basket on someone who is serviceable over the next few years (if need be of course). Young rucks these days are too hit and miss, usually miss.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes azabob, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ayce on the rookie list is equally as stupid or smart as many other things we've all mentioned. If we come to a point where we're not seeing any value in available players at rookie time then stranger things than Ayce being picked up again could happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we recruited Roughead to the ruck tonight. Hopefully a rookie list ruck later on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I guess we recruited Roughead to the ruck tonight. Hopefully a rookie list ruck later on.
    He was originally recruited as a ruck
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Goetz or Galloway are names on the radar.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Goetz or Galloway are names on the radar.
    I'd be very surprised if we don't rookie a ruck
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd be very surprised if we don't rookie a ruck
    We now have nearly all the parts of our juggernaut.
    Now for development, team building, training.
    Put your seat belts on. The shuttle is about to be launched with rocket fuel and massive afterburners.
    Footscray Football Republic.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Recruited defenders to release Roughead to the ruck
    Recruited Goetz to the rookie list.

Great after a couple of years to be finally rucked by Simon.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We have drafted a rookie ruck and 2 key backs to release Roughy meaning our ruck depth in terms of at least quantity is improve.

How do balance the depth with ruck time playing for Footscray. Say Roughy gets the #1 spot, with T Boyd/Redpath as the 2nd ruck. We then have:
    - Minson and Campbell as out and out ruckmen
    - I would want T Boyd/Redpath playing 2nd ruck role in VFL tuning for AFL
    - Goetz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    We have drafted a rookie ruck and 2 key backs to release Roughy meaning our ruck depth in terms of at least quantity is improve.

How do balance the depth with ruck time playing for Footscray. Say Roughy gets the #1 spot, with T Boyd/Redpath as the 2nd ruck. We then have:
    - Minson and Campbell as out and out ruckmen
    - I would want T Boyd/Redpath playing 2nd ruck role in VFL tuning for AFL
    - Goetz
    I suspect this won't play out well for Will Minson and he would be behind Campbell. If Redpath is playing for Footscray I don't think we will use him much in the ruck but it's a role he will have to fill from time to time if he is in the seniors.

Goetz might be played as a defender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Goetz might be played as a defender.
    What makes you think that?

We have a lot more KPD depth (Collins, Adams, Cordy) than KPF depth (Redpath) for Footscray to use, and most rucks rest forward not back, so I would have thought he would play forward
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    What makes you think that?

We have a lot more KPD depth (Collins, Adams, Cordy) than KPF depth (Redpath) for Footscray to use, and most rucks rest forward not back, so I would have thought he would play forward
    More around development.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Form will decide ruck role

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says that the NAB Challenge will provide players with an opportunity to press their claims for round one selection against Fremantle on March 27.

Beveridge will take an experienced squad to Canberra to face the Giants on Thursday, the second year coach telling reporters that the competition amongst the group for spots is healthy.

“I think it helps, it definitely helps,” Beveridge said.

“We get Libba back, we get Koby (Stevens) back, we got some experience in, in Jed (Adcock) and Matty Suckling, and some bright young prospects who’re already putting pressure on our second and third year players, so it’ll help as it does in any organisation.”

The first ruck position is one in particular that will be hotly contested across the next month of the preseason competition.

A handful shared the responsibility in 2015, and Beveridge said form will be the ultimate decider for who’s rewarded with the round one start.

“All of our potential candidates will play through there during the NAB series and whoever plays the best will grab the one or two, or even three spots for that first game against Fremantle,” he said.

“It’s between Will [Minson], it’s between Tommy Campbell, Tommy Boyd, Jack Redpath who we know pinch hit there last year, and Luke Goetz.

“It will take him a while, but it’s probably between those five guys, whether or not they’ll share the load or we’ve got one or two who have a 50/50 type approach.”

Bulldogs fans will get the chance to see four new faces step out onto StarTrak Oval on Thursday night, including former Hawthorn premiership player Suckling, ex-Lion Adcock, and draftees Kieran Collins and Marcus Adams.

Speaking to media from the historic Sun Theatre in Yarraville as part of as part of Western Bulldogs Community Club week, Beveridge said Suckling’s role was still evolving and Adams, at 23 years old, was a special case.

“They’ve all had good pre-seasons,” he said.

“Marcus comes to us as a mature athlete who we don’t need to protect from the rigours of the whole pre-season because he’s had a number of them, so where we would take first year players out, he’s stayed in and done the whole lot.

“And Kieran has been quite impressive in our match simulation and in his ability to absorb how we want him to play in our systems.

“So they both deserve to be in the squad and both will be playing on Thursday.

“Most of the boys have had pretty productive preseasons and we’re going to pick our best side this week on availability and we’ll probably give as many players as we can a chance in the second one.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.