Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

No mention of Roughead in the ruck
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No mention of Roughead in the ruck
    I thought he mentioned Roughead as one of the 5 in the video but might be mistaken. Said Goetz was a project player or words to that effect.

Post Thanks / Like

I love how Bevo sets them against each other. It means their mindset is one of constant competition and increases training intensity.

4. Likes azabob, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I love how Bevo sets them against each other. It means their mindset is one of constant competition and increases training intensity.

He does it so well, doesn't he?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He does it so well, doesn't he?
    They all love him and feel nurtured and safe in the environment. Always say how they are encouraged to play their way and utilise their natural talents. And yet they still feel a tremendous pressure to perform or they are out.

Fantastic way of keeping them confident and yet driven to prove themselves. It really is a joy to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    They all love him and feel nurtured and safe in the environment. Always say how they are encouraged to play their way and utilise their natural talents. And yet they still feel a tremendous pressure to perform or they are out.

Fantastic way of keeping them confident and yet driven to prove themselves. It really is a joy to watch.
    He seems like a real people manager, being able to bring the best out in his players, encouraging them to follow their natural instincts, yet being able to pull them in line when required. It seems like the whole team wants to play for him. It just seems like a fantastic environment and feel priviliged, as a supporter, to have him on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Campbells gunna ruck us. Roughies gunna...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably a bit early.

At 25 Jordan's most likely to have fairly and squarely realised a hot day isn't what he needed and that he's now an old man that needs to relax at the start of preseason and perform at the end of it.

Reading into today's or family day's form on any level would be a silly thing to do.

Campbell played in a glorified scratch match as did Will, but we'll see how things go in three weeks time when the lads hit it out against each other in the final intra club match on the back of the final Challenge match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's probably a bit early.

At 25 Jordan's most likely to have fairly and squarely realised a hot day isn't what he needed and that he's now an old man that needs to relax at the start of preseason and perform at the end of it.

Reading into today's or family day's form on any level would be a silly thing to do.

Campbell played in a glorified scratch match as did Will, but we'll see how things go in three weeks time when the lads hit it out against each other in the final intra club match on the back of the final Challenge match.
    Campbell is said to been ultra impressive pre season by judges I respect. Jordan looked a bit lost tonight, had a bad miss early and dropped a few sitters in the forward 50. I'm happy to back Bevo on the move, but of the three rucks (inc. Minson) Roughie did nothing to stop people asking why this move is happening. Also, if round one was next week Campbell & Minson would be playing. Roughie has got to work up the pecking order if Redders & Boyd are back forward and we play one or two rucks. Frankly I hope he does, or he finds another spot and rips the season to shreds. But the ruck move has polarised opinion and I think I'm getting lost in the middle.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think we're all mostly getting lost in the middle, which is where we need to be (without being lost) at this time of year which was the point of my post - and sorry if that didn't come through.

You only need to go back to half way through last year when we played Melbourne at the MCG where Roughead was being widely lauded as being our answer to the ruck conundrum we faced then (and continue to face), or note that after a good ten rounds away from senior footy Will was recalled because he offered security in the ruck area in the finals.

All of Roughead, Campbell and Minson were a touch pathetic last year but they all got their chances to play in the centre at stages, but only one of them has proved they are mildly proficient in a position away from ruck.

Campbell put his hand up with his goals tonight to be a ruck and forward, but ultimately, it's the first of four competitive hit outs that will happen before the season starts - at which point - all bets are off and preseaon can only buy one or two games in the senior side.

I'm a little bit surprised anyone is putting any analysis of substance into a game in which we dropped a few players just before the bounce, this game seriously didn't matter when it comes to figuring out how our team might line up at our peak.

Post Thanks / Like

Will had 16 disposals to Tom's 8, after that it's Tom's advantage in front of goal that puts him ahead at this point in time.
    Roughy is fair bit down the food chain after them. He will need to have the next couple of hit outs with a marked improvement to get the nod in round one as the main ruck.

I think I would persevere with Roughy at FB and let the likes of Collins and Adams develop on the lesser talls if they are good enough to hold a spot in the 22.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I am still not convinced that Roughy is any good at Fullback. He had a shocking season there in 2014 and his previous season he was just ok. Happy for him to play on resting ruckman in the backline, but for me he is not the answer at FB, despite what BMac thought.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Ghost Dog, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am still not convinced that Roughy is any good at Fullback. He had a shocking season there in 2014 and his previous season he was just ok. Happy for him to play on resting ruckman in the backline, but for me he is not the answer at FB, despite what BMac thought.
    I agree but where else do you play him. It could be a defining year for Roughy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Will vs BTC, with Boyd/Redders (or both) chopping out.
    Clearly Roughy is in trouble.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

While I had to watch in a crowded room with poor reception, my impression was that Will was clearly better in the ruck role and contributed around the ground.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured