Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 12 of 90 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While I had to watch in a crowded room with poor reception, my impression was that Will was clearly better in the ruck role and contributed around the ground.
    In pure rucking terms, Will is still our best tap ruck. Unfortunately in this day and age, you have to do more than that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In pure rucking terms, Will is still our best tap ruck. Unfortunately in this day and age, you have to do more than that.
    Which I actually thought he did yesterday evening.

Post Thanks / Like

At Half Time last night, I thought one thing was certain about who our first choice ruckman is likely to be. I was certain that neither Campbell, Minson or Roughy had done enough to cement the number one ruck role. I was thinking out loud - GIVE JONG FIRST CRACK!

Thankfully Minson and Campbell were much better in the second half. There's still plenty of improvement and mainly consistency that we need to see before we can feel OK about our ruck division.

4. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Which I actually thought he did yesterday evening.
    Yes.
    I thought Will showed improvement on his around the ground involvement.

People are calling for Campbell because he contributed on the scoreboard. He did kick well at goal, but the one from outside 50 came from a dumb free by GWS who gave him a push when he wasn't likely to get the ball. Great kick though.

The second goal was from a good positional pass delivered by Wilbur.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think we're all mostly getting lost in the middle, which is where we need to be (without being lost) at this time of year which was the point of my post - and sorry if that didn't come through.

You only need to go back to half way through last year when we played Melbourne at the MCG where Roughead was being widely lauded as being our answer to the ruck conundrum we faced then (and continue to face), or note that after a good ten rounds away from senior footy Will was recalled because he offered security in the ruck area in the finals.

All of Roughead, Campbell and Minson were a touch pathetic last year but they all got their chances to play in the centre at stages, but only one of them has proved they are mildly proficient in a position away from ruck.

Campbell put his hand up with his goals tonight to be a ruck and forward, but ultimately, it's the first of four competitive hit outs that will happen before the season starts - at which point - all bets are off and preseaon can only buy one or two games in the senior side.

I'm a little bit surprised anyone is putting any analysis of substance into a game in which we dropped a few players just before the bounce, this game seriously didn't matter when it comes to figuring out how our team might line up at our peak.

It's been five months...

Any longer and we would be analyzing training sessions. Why cant footy go longer?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw something last night I've never seen in Minson previously......poise. One piece of play in particular (third quarter I think) where he gathered a difficult ground ball on the wing and instead of simply throwing it onto his boot as is his wont.....he held up the play, considered his options and did a beautiful left foot pass inboard to a team mate.

I was surprised and impressed with some of his work around the ground last night. He looked as agile as I've seen him.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

8. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I saw something last night I've never seen in Minson previously......poise. One piece of play in particular (third quarter I think) where he gathered a difficult ground ball on the wing and instead of simply throwing it onto his boot as is his wont.....he held up the play, considered his options and did a beautiful left foot pass inboard to a team mate.

I was surprised and impressed with some of his work around the ground last night. He looked as agile as I've seen him.
    What about his over the shoulder handball trying for a quick realise to create space for Bonts. It lead to a turnover but it was something that I haven't seen from Minson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Yes.
    I thought Will showed improvement on his around the ground involvement.

People are calling for Campbell because he contributed on the scoreboard. He did kick well at goal, but the one from outside 50 came from a dumb free by GWS who gave him a push when he wasn't likely to get the ball. Great kick though.

The second goal was from a good positional pass delivered by Wilbur.
    He is a thumping kick.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a similar observation. Also a nice handball inside after scooping up the footy. He was playing the game at a more relaxed tempo in space than his usual bullocking smash his boot into everything. Was our best ruck option and is first choice IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I agree but where else do you play him. It could be a defining year for Roughy.
    You don't. Tough on a guy in his prime but we have better key back and ruck options. Until he starts to show some form he gets the Hrovat/Hunter treatment at Footscray. Great guy, respected amongst the group but that doesn't make you best 22

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching big Maxie Gawn do a number on the Port ruckman we tried to poach. Looks like we were targeting the wrong bloke.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching big Maxie Gawn do a number on the Port ruckman we tried to poach. Looks like we were targeting the wrong bloke.
    We've had the trade gods smile on us with the trades that fell through in the past few years.

It's only pre-season but I don't think I'd be willing to trade Dunkley & Collins for Lobbe. Port fans savaging Lobbe on BF
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We've had the trade gods smile on us with the trades that fell through in the past few years.

It's only pre-season but I don't think I'd be willing to trade Dunkley & Collins for Lobbe. Port fans savaging Lobbe on BF
    We'd have won 3 premierships with Matthew Bate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The pick we were thinking of putting up for Bate ended up netting us Talia, so maybe the trade wasn't such a bad idea after all?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    How sweet it would've been to see our second ruckman Jesse White tap down to Bate who sprints away, quick hands to Dawes across half forward and kicks deep inside 50 to Scott Gumbleton and a recontracted Liam Jones. Threepeat in deed.

But the team we beat for these three flags had Djerkerra spike the ruck contest and tap down to Sherman who sprints away, quick hands to Vezpremi across half forward and kick deep into Tom Young resting forward.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023