Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 13 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Ruck is one of the most challenging positions on the field these days. Gone are the days of tap-ruckmen who could spend other parts of the game with hands on hips. I'd back Tom Campbell in to be our Minson replacement on current form.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Ruck is one of the most challenging positions on the field these days. Gone are the days of tap-ruckmen who could spend other parts of the game with hands on hips. I'd back Tom Campbell in to be our Minson replacement on current form.
    But is a 'Minson' type suited to the modern game?

I guess we will have to wait and see what the change in the rotation cap does to the way the game is played, but going on previous years you really need a mobile player as your no.1 ruck who can not only influence the ruck contest, but can also link up around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I guess we will have to wait and see what the change in the rotation cap does to the way the game is played, but going on previous years you really need a mobile player as your no.1 ruck who can not only influence the ruck contest, but can also link up around the ground.
    Yes ,I agree, what I meant was a replacement for Minson, not a Minson replacement. The fault is mine.
    Of Minson, Roughhead, Cambell, one would have to say he has best round-ground mobility and skill.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the real issue an Campbell may also struggle.

This is probably why they have taken a punt on someone as raw as Goetz, who offers a lot in the ability to cover ground.

If he can learn the game and stand up to the physical aspects he will be a much better fit for the modern game.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

No, but searching for a flexible athletic ruckman who can cover the ground take a mark and actually ruck is akin to Australian cricket's endless search for the star all-rounder. I honestly thought Jeff White was going to change the way we viewed the role of the ruckman but he wasn't as good as I thought and finding someone 200 cm who can jump, mark and ruck is extremely difficult. I guess that's why we're so interested in Roughie and whether he can make it. I suppose its why Ayce got an extended run at it as well. It seems to be what we are looking for and i can't see Campbell or Minson getting to more contests than they are or developing any new tricks.

I think we'll persist with Roughie in much the same way as Ayce, positive for Roughie is he can go back and play if it doesn't work out.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy won the hit outs. I guess he might be the ruckman Bevo has been talking about if he maintain form in the ruck.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Very good effort from Roughy
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Very good effort from Roughy
    I thought he and Boyd worked really well together.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Out rucked the opposition and I like the way he works around the ground. Fingers crossed he stays injury free.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressed with Roughie's game today thought he was excellent.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It was probably the first time I've seen Roughy in the way he was described as a junior: very efficient tap ruckman, moves and jumps well, stays involved in the contest and can take a mark up forward. Excellent display against two pretty good Freo rucks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    It was probably the first time I've seen Roughy in the way he was described as a junior: very efficient tap ruckman, moves and jumps well, stays involved in the contest and can take a mark up forward. Excellent display against two pretty good Freo rucks
    The most ridiculous decision to try and make him into a fullback.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The most ridiculous decision to try and make him into a fullback.
    Hawthorn and Brian Lake disagree, three premierships and a Norm Smith later.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question. If yesterday is what is to be expected most weeks, does Will Minson have the capability to do the role this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Question. If yesterday is what is to be expected most weeks, does Will Minson have the capability to do the role this year?
    I think the question also needs to be asked about Campbell as well.
    More of an In Bruges guy?