Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think the question also needs to be asked about Campbell as well.
    Why? Our blokes are only a knock or a tear away from injury in this game. It's comforting to have the depth. Only last year Wilbur came out and held his own against Goldstien, the best ruck in the comp.
    The coach is full of praise for Tom Campbell and he might have played had he not rolled an ankle.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No, but searching for a flexible athletic ruckman who can cover the ground take a mark and actually ruck is akin to Australian cricket's endless search for the star all-rounder. I honestly thought Jeff White was going to change the way we viewed the role of the ruckman but he wasn't as good as I thought and finding someone 200 cm who can jump, mark and ruck is extremely difficult. I guess that's why we're so interested in Roughie and whether he can make it. I suppose its why Ayce got an extended run at it as well. It seems to be what we are looking for and i can't see Campbell or Minson getting to more contests than they are or developing any new tricks.

I think we'll persist with Roughie in much the same way as Ayce, positive for Roughie is he can go back and play if it doesn't work out.
    I think Campbell is looking more mobile than last year and IIRC Tom C is only 23 or 24. If I'm right, then he has plenty of time to develop his game.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Out rucked the opposition and I like the way he works around the ground. Fingers crossed he stays injury free.
    Both Roughead and Boyd were good. Having Sandilands out undoubtedly helped. The big question will be to see if Roughy can physically hold his form given his shoulder problems in the past. Boyd looks a better player when rucking without the constant pressure that playing as a permanent forward brings. Both Campbell and Minson lack mobility although Campbell has looked a lot better this year and should eventually force himself into the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Question. If yesterday is what is to be expected most weeks, does Will Minson have the capability to do the role this year?
    I think Campbell was clearly viewed as the number 1 ruck coming in and would have played if not for the injury. Roughy's performance yesterday makes it a more palatable situation and gives a bit more competition. I suspect Minson is viewed as depth at this point. Unfortunately he had/has no value from a trade perspective.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Both Roughead and Boyd were good. Having Sandilands out undoubtedly helped. The big question will be to see if Roughy can physically hold his form given his shoulder problems in the past. Boyd looks a better player when rucking without the constant pressure that playing as a permanent forward brings. Both Campbell and Minson lack mobility although Campbell has looked a lot better this year and should eventually force himself into the team.
    We all know we made a play for Martin and then Lobbe last season and I think we also inquired about Zac Smith. Given the 3 ruckman we had I wonder what the idea was about chasing the other guys?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We all know we made a play for Martin and then Lobbe last season and I think we also inquired about Zac Smith. Given the 3 ruckman we had I wonder what the idea was about chasing the other guys?
    With hindsight, the equation is Lobbe or Collins & Dunkley. (And Rookie-ing a project ruckman) I'm happy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

With hindsight, the equation is Lobbe or Collins & Dunkley. (And Rookie-ing a project ruckman) I'm happy.
    It doesn't explain why we were so keen to look elsewhere though.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't explain why we were so keen to look elsewhere though.
    True. Maybe we thought we could offload Will and his salary or most of his salary as part of wider list management idea. We were not recontracting Grant during the trade period either. So no doubt various thoughts were going on. With Minson gone this year we probably need to add another mature ruckman this off season. Maybe a second rounder and a good fringe player to get a semi decent one. Add Kruezer to your list of alleged chasing too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

True. Maybe we thought we could offload Will and his salary or most of his salary as part of wider list management idea. We were not recontracting Grant during the trade period either. So no doubt various thoughts were going on. With Minson gone this year we probably need to add another mature ruckman this off season. Maybe a second rounder and a good fringe player to get a semi decent one. Add Kruezer to your list of alleged chasing too.
    It's interesting to me. As much as we are patting Roughy on the back for his performance yesterday there is a reasonable chance he might not have played if just one of those deals/offers went through.

We cast a wide net for ruckman last year and clearly Roughead and Campbell aren't really first choices for the coach and match committee. I suppose they have the season to remove any doubt. You would have to think this will be Will's last year unless something pretty special happens and Goetz is a long way off.

I think there is a fair chance we will again be in the market for a ruckman next year as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    And one of their Ruckmen Clarke was injured at the opening bounce too which helped.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to me. As much as we are patting Roughy on the back for his performance yesterday there is a reasonable chance he might not have played if just one of those deals/offers went through.

We cast a wide net for ruckman last year and clearly Roughead and Campbell aren't really first choices for the coach and match committee. I suppose they have the season to remove any doubt. You would have to think this will be Will's last year unless something pretty special happens and Goetz is a long way off.

I think there is a fair chance we will again be in the market for a ruckman next year as well.
    I hope we are in the market, we need to be as Minson is as good as gone. Even Bellchambers as a delisted FA would be worth a punt if we can't do better. Zac Clarke is a free agent and I'd be all over that as it costs no picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy has seized the first ruck spot with both hands at the moment. Clarke & Griffen weren't in great form last week and he has been consistently beating Hickey in the ruck tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Four rounds in and Roughy still doing enough in my book. Can we go another ruck though? I prefer Boyd as a forward for structure and if the number 1 goes down, Jong rucks. Campbell & Roughy with Boyd surely covers the ruck and relief in defence and up forward. Would we lose that much run?

Post Thanks / Like

Four rounds in and Roughy still doing enough in my book. Can we go another ruck though? I prefer Boyd as a forward for structure and if the number 1 goes down, Jong rucks. Campbell & Roughy with Boyd surely covers the ruck and relief in defence and up forward. Would we lose that much run?
    A few nervous moments tonight, Roughie is absolutely doing enough but we are going to get burned hard by him being a bit brittle. He is a real lionhearted playing through the knocks and I love him for it, but I get the feeling he'll go down soon and we'll be short an option in the ruck. I don't want Boyd carrying that role, I want him inside the 50 more often.

Post Thanks / Like

Its certainly a concern that Roughy goes down with a 'short term' injury every week mid game.