Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 15 of 90 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Its certainly a concern that Roughy goes down with a 'short term' injury every week mid game.
    It isn't helping Boyd either... He seems to battling under the extra workload being placed upon him and it's not helping his development as a key forward, our forward structure or his body.

Our ideal set-up is our no.1 ruck plays 85% game time as a pure ruckman and Boyd fills the gap, but we are a long from that at present. If Roughy can't play that role then it's time to bring someone else to assist.
    Last edited by Mantis; 18-04-2016 at 11:27 AM.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It isn't helping Boyd either... He seems to battling under the extra workload being placed upon him and it's not helping his development as a key forward our forward structure or his body.

Our ideal set-up is our no.1 ruck plays 85% game time as a pure ruckman and Boyd fills the gap, but we are a long from that at present. If Roughy can't play that role then it's time to bring someone else to assist.
    Agree. Boyd is spending too much time on the ball. It would be fantastic if Roughead could handle the workload of a No.1 ruck - but its hard to see him being able to do it week in, week out.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we will be able to cope with the running demands of the modern game if we bring in a tall for a small to assist in ruck duties. From my perspective we either replace Roughy in the team or we keep him in as the primary ruck - our game plan relies heavily on gut running both ways and I fear we will take the edge off this advantage if we get the tall/small mix too top-heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm not sure we will be able to cope with the running demands of the modern game if we bring in a tall for a small to assist in ruck duties. From my perspective we either replace Roughy in the team or we keep him in as the primary ruck - our game plan relies heavily on gut running both ways and I fear we will take the edge off this advantage if we get the tall/small mix too top-heavy.
    But the advantage we had is already gone with the loss of Murf & JJ.

With games coming up against teams with tall forwardlines (and good rucks) we really have to look at giving Roughead & Boyd some support.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think we can if we brought in say a Campbell and roughy play the second ruck role. Hawks are still the measuring stick and they do it with two ruck man, and play Gunston as a FF.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I still think we can if we brought in say a Campbell and roughy play the second ruck role. Hawks are still the measuring stick and they do it with two ruck man, and play Gunston as a FF.
    Gunston is pretty much the same size as Stringer.

Post Thanks / Like

Gunston is pretty much the same size as Stringer.
    Ok, Shoenmakers (195cm)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Adams' form means its no longer as simple as sending Roughie back and promoting Campbell. It's almost the case now where if Roughie can't ruck he's out of the team, so he's competing for a spot with Campbell and Minson.

Can Roughie play back if Hamling plays forward and we bring in Campbell?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Adams' form means its no longer as simple as sending Roughie back and promoting Campbell. It's almost the case now where if Roughie can't ruck he's out of the team, so he's competing for a spot with Campbell and Minson.
    In 2 weeks time we play North (Petrie, Waite & Brown).. The following week we play Adel (Jenkins, Walker & Lynch). How do you see us matching up against those teams.. Play Morris tall?

With both teams also having good mid/ small forwards it's certainly going to stretch us.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2 weeks time we play North (Petrie, Waite & Brown).. The following week we play Adel (Jenkins, Walker & Lynch). How do you see us matching up against those teams.. Play Morris tall?

With both teams also having good mid/ small forwards it's certainly going to stretch us.
    North are a concern. I think we have the personnel to play on Adelaide's talls minus Roughie, Lynch doesn't need a tall.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. It we rob our run in the midfield, it will give both Norf and Adelaide more opportunity to control the game from the middle (where I reckon we have the edge on both teams), which will then give their tall forwards far greater supply.

I'm not comfortable with our current back 6 on paper being able to control both those forward lines, but then again we are conceding 54 points a game this year so it comes back to team defence and structuring up to make sure there is limited clean and easy ball for the opposition forwards to feast on.

There is definite merit in both philosophies - interesting MC selection meetings coming up.

Post Thanks / Like

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. It we rob our run in the midfield, it will give both Norf and Adelaide more opportunity to control the game from the middle (where I reckon we have the edge on both teams), which will then give their tall forwards far greater supply.

I'm not comfortable with our current back 6 on paper being able to control both those forward lines, but then again we are conceding 54 points a game this year so it comes back to team defence and structuring up to make sure there is limited clean and easy ball for the opposition forwards to feast on.

There is definite merit in both philosophies - interesting MC selection meetings coming up.
    On the other hand, last time we played North in 2015, this was the team:

Player
    Lachlan Hunter
    Matthew Boyd
    Mitchell Wallis
    Jackson Macrae
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Marcus Bontempelli
    Robert Murphy
    Liam Picken
    Shane Biggs
    Jake Stringer
    Jason Johannisen
    Easton Wood
    Lukas Webb
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Jarrad Grant
    Stewart Crameri
    Dale Morris
    Jordan Roughead
    Joel Hamling
    Tory Dickson
    Jack Redpath
    Zaine Cordy

Petrie, Brown and Waite also played.

We kept them to 10 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Against North I see Adams and hamling being sufficient. The way we set up means that these two (plus Wood) should always be able to make the contest that see's any of the three talls mark the ball. The only time they'll get a clear size mismatch on them will be if they lead very wide. Couple that with Roughead likely pushing into defence as practiced against Carlton and I think we will be alright.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Against North I see Adams and hamling being sufficient. The way we set up means that these two (plus Wood) should always be able to make the contest that see's any of the three talls mark the ball. The only time they'll get a clear size mismatch on them will be if they lead very wide. Couple that with Roughead likely pushing into defence as practiced against Carlton and I think we will be alright.
    Agree with that. I think the taller, slower type tends to suit Wood anyway in that it gives him more freedom to zone off knowing he's less likely to be burnt at ground level if there's a spill. In the one on ones he gives up an inch but goes a long way to making up for it with his leap...I'm not sure I can remember him being beaten in a marking contest - he absolutely destroyed Pavlich in Round 1 when matched up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Agree. Reckon Adams will be the ideal matchup on Waite. Hamling to play on Petrie. Morris on Brown.

What I am going to miss in the North game is the re-enactment of JJ running away from Ben Brown (last year). One of the funniest things I've seen in years. Brown looked like he was running into a wind tunnel.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.