Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 22 of 90 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I actually thought he got thrown around a bit tonight by Norths ruckmen and didn't look particularly strong in contests around the ground. Maybe the replay will reveal something different (and I also didn't notice Boyd missing until the last so fatigue may have been a factor)
    Watch it again. Reckon your view might change.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Like most Campbells first half was underwhelming but from halftime onwards he really set the tone for our improvement. While he struggled to have an aerial presence around the ground he made up for it with Ben Hudson like followup efforts around and after the ruck contest. I was pretty happy with his game in the end.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

The tactics from Bevo were interesting last night, but I think more interesting was Bevo's presser where he said that Campbell was contesting well in the ruck, but was not doing enough in the other phases of game (ie. Around the ground, forward, disposals, defending, positioning etc). He was not selected on ability to impact, not fitness.

So TC needs to fix it, or like Minson, would spend his days playing VFL until we want to move him on. But can TC do that? Hopefully Roughy can remain fit for the rest of the season and English comes on, because I'm not too sure Campbell possesses the degree of versatility that Bevo is apparently not negotiable on. Bevo clearly wants Boyd playing some time as a tall forward/target and is happy to ruck him, but that only leaves us with Roughy (injury prone) and English (young) as the only other options beyond playing Boyd and rucking midfielders.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

My reading of it is Campbell's days are numbered and Bevo considers Boyd a ruckman first, forward target second. Campbell will never be a roaming, mobile follower that will pierce a zone via handball like Boyd did repeatedly last night. He is a tap ruck that is a bail out option for long kicks into the 50 or down the line to relieve defensive pressure.

I actually fear for Roughy long term, too. English and Boyd will be a dynamite duo.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    My reading of it is Campbell's days are numbered and Bevo considers Boyd a ruckman first, forward target second. Campbell will never be a roaming, mobile follower that will pierce a zone via handball like Boyd did repeatedly last night. He is a tap ruck that is a bail out option for long kicks into the 50 or down the line to relieve defensive pressure.

I actually fear for Roughy long term, too. English and Boyd will be a dynamite duo.
    I don't fear for Roughy, if he can do what he did in the finals series (less the GWS) he's best 22. I actually think they're a trio. Bevo said longer term Boyd can be that KPF, but would also ruck. Roughy can cover defence if needed and be a long down the line target. English can play as a Blicavs type tall midfielder who can ruck and Boyd can play tall forward and ruck. Roughy can also rest forward, and hopefully English is a decent set shot too to rest forward. That gives us competent ruck work in all three zones of the ground, and a player with some speciality in the three zones of the ground. I think that gives Bevo the ultimate in flexible talls for whatever any given game throws up.

Intuitively that may seem a bit tall, but it's two rucks and Boyd as one of two tall forward spots. Bevo said last year he thought we could play two rucks and two tall forwards (before Redders did his knee). So two very mobile and flexible rucks, Boyd and Cloke/Redders isn't too tall if they play to their talent levels.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I love a good ruck convo.

Campbell- definitely agree with Bevo. Watched him closely in the VFL and he just does not do enough around the ground. I think part of it is his durability/tank. He often pulls up sore when he has a big ruck workload, which is what he has to do to earn a spot at AFL level as he is a liability elsewhere. TC has still played a few games and is contracted for next year I believe. At the moment he is a break in case of emergency option. He simply must find another trick, such as developing his tank, becoming a marking threat or an absolute beast in the clearances Mumford style.

English- love his guy. The best thing about him is that he looks like he will be equally able to play 1st and 2nd ruck, such a rare thing. This will hopefully give us great flexibility in who we partner him with.

Roughy- I think he will be fine either way. He isn't strong at winning hitouts but clever in being able to not be owned in ruck duels. Like any good player, he has a trick. Roughy is just about the best ruck in the comp in pack marking contests. I see him as suiting finals footy too.

Tom Boyd- Really loved him game. Like English he will offer us flexibility. He looks really suited to being a 2nd ruck/forward but if Roughy is playing well enough and English is the player we hope he is, having Boyd free have a crack at being a full time key-forward would be nice.

7. Likes bulldogtragic, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim English is the mythical unicorn of rucks: the 1st AND 2nd ruck.

I think he'll become our 2nd best player within 3 years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

And half back flanker/intercept mark type.

In Bont, JJ, Stringer and English we have some genetic freaks along with our beast mode thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Interest phrase you use, 'break in case of emergency option'.

Bevo obviously doesn't consider rucking only Boyd when our other tall forwards in Cloke, Dicko, Redders & Crammers are out; and using Dunkley & Jong as a second ruck as an emergency. Makes you really wonder what the emergency option has to be, and what Campbell was specifically doing well last year that Bevo isn't seeing this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Interest phrase you use, 'break in case of emergency option'.

Bevo obviously doesn't consider rucking only Boyd when our other tall forwards in Cloke, Dicko, Redders & Crammers are out; and using Dunkley & Jong as a second ruck as an emergency. Makes you really wonder what the emergency option has to be, and what Campbell was specifically doing well last year that Bevo isn't seeing this year.
    He rucks Dunkley and Jong as 2nd rucks. Campbell has played in a few games and was emergency last night. At the moment, I think he only plays if Tom Boyd and Roughy are both out as he still wants a guy resembling a first ruck.

I think it's less about what he isn't doing this year and more about Bevo being more sure that TC is limited.

Post Thanks / Like

I know there's a fair bit smoke blown up fans arses at draft time, but if you believe Dalrymple we had English at 7th best. Amazing we could get him at 19. Then I hope Rhylee West is a top 10'er and we land him in a window where our picks is late teens again.

On our best players in a few years, it will be impossible after Bonts to work it out. Stringer looks to be being Moulder into a Ricitou type raging bull mid and goal kicker. Boyd could be anything. Macrae is a gun, and if he can get his goal average up to .75 he's got claim. Libba is a club champion already. Dahl has raised his game, again. Adams might even develop into a swing man, so I hope he stays. I love we extended English first thing. Such an investment of good faith into a kid who will have no shortage of offers to head back to WA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I know there's a fair bit smoke blown up fans arses at draft time, but if you believe Dalrymple we had English at 7th best. Amazing we could get him at 19. Then I hope Rhylee West is a top 10'er and we land him in a window where our picks is late teens again.

On our best players in a few years, it will be impossible after Bonts to work it out. Stringer looks to be being Moulder into a Ricitou type raging bull mid and goal kicker. Boyd could be anything. Macrae is a gun, and if he can get his goal average up to .75 he's got claim. Libba is a club champion already. Dahl has raised his game, again. Adams might even develop into a swing man, so I hope he stays. I love we extended English first thing. Such an investment of good faith into a kid who will have no shortage of offers to head back to WA.
    Yep, not many get a multi-year extension before playing a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched Bevo's post match presser again. He was pretty definitive in his assertion that Boyd should be considered a ruckman that goes forward. He did mention that he MAY become more of a stay at home forward but that we'd have to see how things play out.

Post Thanks / Like

The podcast BAD post in the Simon Dalrymple thread casts some interesting thoughts on all things ruck. Dal mentioned there's ongoing discussions inside the club about rucks, that Bevo has some strong ideas. But we guessed that. However, one really interesting comment was that things may move towards the 'last touch' rule coming in (which would eliminate ruck contests as there would be no boundary throw ins). If that happens either directly through a rule change or indirectly through over officiating, then that further eliminates the need for recruiting older style ruckmen. We are talking about maybe 20-30 centre bounces and however many ball ups the game presents. If that happens, could we select just the one ruck/tall who then runs to position and the tallest midfielder takes any around the ground? It's interesting that the clubs brains trust are discussing it and Forcasting ahead for what impact the possible change would have on recruiting (and coaching since Bevo is in on these meetings).

16. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If last touch comes in, picking English is a master stroke.

I really hope it doesn't by the way.