Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 28 of 90 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I'll be interested to see how the six, six, six rule plays out and if we have read it right with our approach to the ruck position. I wonder if it will also expose the defenders to the more one in one contests as yiu have indicated?
    The 6.6.6. happens at every centre bounce. Players will be in that position for no more than 20 seconds. Not sure how it is going to improve the game or even change it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The 6.6.6. happens at every centre bounce. Players will be in that position for no more than 20 seconds. Not sure how it is going to improve the game or even change it.
    It has to help dominant ruckman and midfielders at the centre bounces doesn't it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It has to help dominant ruckman and midfielders at the centre bounces doesn't it?
    How?

There are only 6 allowed in the centre now. Once the ball is bounced you can run in?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How?

There are only 6 allowed in the centre now. Once the ball is bounced you can run in?
    But it opens up the avenue towards goals at the bounce as there wont be two additional players charging in from the defensive end. It has to make for some additional space is the general consensus from what I've read.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Well - yeah?

There's no threat of punishment by doing it now so why wouldn't he try to do it and do it often? It's about as clean a look from a forward pocket boundary throw in as you'd get on average.
    Sure. But FIFTEEN GOALS is a lot. If a ruckman kicked 30 that would be an AMAZING season...and if you are saying he will kick 15 from f50 stop balls Gawn might very well sniff 45-50 goals in total...

That would put him close to leading goal-kicker in the comp.

If you said 6-10 I would be with you - once every 3 weeks sounds about right - but 15? This isn't me having a go but I feel that people often throw out 'kick a goal a week' type numbers for mids without realising how historically unlikely this is.

Back in the day, this was a rule. Truly dominant players in the past wouldn't have kicked 15x goals grabbing the ball from a f50 stoppage and snapping it through...so why would Gawn do it - particularly as he is not super quick from hand to foot. I would actually say a player like Ryder might be a better chance of topping the league in this stat...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

But it opens up the avenue towards goals at the bounce as there wont be two additional players charging in from the defensive end. It has to make for some additional space is the general consensus from what I've read.
    Yep. It will do that...but players exiting CBD's running forward at pace just doesn't happen that often...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Sure. But FIFTEEN GOALS is a lot. If a ruckman kicked 30 that would be an AMAZING season...and if you are saying he will kick 15 from f50 stop balls Gawn might very well sniff 45-50 goals in total...

That would put him close to leading goal-kicker in the comp.

If you said 6-10 I would be with you - once every 3 weeks sounds about right - but 15? This isn't me having a go but I feel that people often throw out 'kick a goal a week' type numbers for mids without realising how historically unlikely this is.

Back in the day, this was a rule. Truly dominant players in the past wouldn't have kicked 15x goals grabbing the ball from a f50 stoppage and snapping it through...so why would Gawn do it - particularly as he is not super quick from hand to foot. I would actually say a player like Ryder might be a better chance of topping the league in this stat...

Darce kicked 23 goals in 2002 which was the last year they let ruckman grab the ball out of ruck contests and play on. I don't reckon that many would have been from f50 ruck contests, but 15 is feasible.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Darce kicked 23 goals in 2002 which was the last year they let ruckman grab the ball out of ruck contests and play on. I don't reckon that many would have been from f50 ruck contests, but 15 is feasible.
    I've tried to find it because I think it is completely off the planet impossible in a total of 23 goals (particularly with a bag of 5 in amongst it)...

Like I said, ruckman kicking 15 goals from f50 stoppages would be kicking 50 goals a year...and even then, the opposition would be ALL OVER IT - particularly now (if not in the early 2000's).

I do find it interesting that there has been a lot of comment about Darcy doing this but before the rule changed his highest goal scoring tally was 24 (with the 23 in 2002 a very close 2nd). Darcy was a great player (and probably should have won a Brownlow) but he kicked his goals with strong marking and a reliable left peg more than snapping them from contests. He actually kicked 30 goals in 2004 with no game > 3...a really, consistent, dominant performance and WAY more than big Max who has never kicked more than 16 in a season.

Like some other big blokes in footy, "Big MAXXY" (man, the commentators love him and Melbourne) LOOKS dangerous when he goes forward...but he really isn't. I think some advanced stats access would show the teams scoring rate slows when he is forward versus increases...

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

11. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    You forget (well I have) how good Darcy was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I've tried to find it because I think it is completely off the planet impossible in a total of 23 goals (particularly with a bag of 5 in amongst it)...

Like I said, ruckman kicking 15 goals from f50 stoppages would be kicking 50 goals a year...and even then, the opposition would be ALL OVER IT - particularly now (if not in the early 2000's).

I do find it interesting that there has been a lot of comment about Darcy doing this but before the rule changed his highest goal scoring tally was 24 (with the 23 in 2002 a very close 2nd). Darcy was a great player (and probably should have won a Brownlow) but he kicked his goals with strong marking and a reliable left peg more than snapping them from contests. He actually kicked 30 goals in 2004 with no game > 3...a really, consistent, dominant performance and WAY more than big Max who has never kicked more than 16 in a season.

Like some other big blokes in footy, "Big MAXXY" (man, the commentators love him and Melbourne) LOOKS dangerous when he goes forward...but he really isn't. I think some advanced stats access would show the teams scoring rate slows when he is forward versus increases...

Darce went into unstoppable beast mode in 2002. He'd been pretty good in the years before that but really stepped it up in 2002 and was almost the most dominant player in the comp. He pretty much just waltzed around the field doing whatever he pleased, Simon Black owes him a Brownlow. The year he kicked 30 he played more as a key forward I reckon.

I agree Darcy might not have kicked 15 from f50 stoppages in 2002 (does that include boundary throw ins?) but it wouldn't have been far off it.

Post Thanks / Like

He was one of the most dominant players in the comp in the late '90s and early 2000s. He should have won the 2002 .Brownlow, he was easily the best player in the AFL that year.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to hear at the end that was five wins in a row. Gee it would be nice to hear that said some time this year

Post Thanks / Like

Beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Interesting to hear at the end that was five wins in a row. Gee it would be nice to hear that said some time this year
    We could probably do without losing the first 5 games of the season like we did that year though.