Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 38 of 90 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    What happens if we go into deficit to take Darcy (which I think takes point off our first rounder next year pushing it back in the order, but we have already traded out that first rounder? Does the deficit go to our next pick, or carry over into 2022, or what?
    The maximum deficit allowed is 1,723 DPs. If you trade out the future first the maximum deficit is reduced to only 738 DPS.

If Darcy went at Pick 1 - 2,400 DPS - we’d need to have 1,662 DPs this year at a minimum. Without that and reduced allowable deficit then the afel would not approve the bid to be matched. You can’t roll deficits over years.

As per my second essay, I think trading this years first for a player and finding 700+ DPs in trades and taking nearly the maximum deficit is they way to go. It’s like AfterPay, get Darcy & The Traded Player now and have it paid back in 12 months.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Lewy Young really 201cm? He seems to have grown again form previously listed 197cm. That is true ruckman size. I like what I've seen of his ruck craft in the VFL and he clearly won taps against Hickey on the weekend. I think it can be developed.

Do we actually already have a viable ruckman on the list?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Is Lewy Young really 201cm? He seems to have grown again form previously listed 197cm. That is true ruckman size. I like what I've seen of his ruck craft in the VFL and he clearly won taps against Hickey on the weekend. I think it can be developed.

and yes he is still only 22 years old (December will be 23)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he moved ahead of Jordan Sweet on that performance. I know he's played forward/ruck roles at VFL level in the past.
    This might actually be his best chance of playing more senior games with us
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

There was a report to that effect earlier in the year but he just doesn't look that tall next to other players to me. But who knows really - player heights are one of the great mysteries of our time like the JFK assassination and just where Easty will turn up next on his tour of the Western suburbs.

7. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Bulldog Joe, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listed as 201cm on the club website which is probably the best source but I agree he looks under 200cm in the 2021 team photo standing next to Martin and actually looks really small next to English and Sweet. Looks a bit taller than Bruce and Gardner and about as tall as Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

Well connected BF guy claims that Martin now unlikely to return this season.

If true, do we start to play Sweet now?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Only way we see Sweet again is if English doesn't play.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

If true, it's been a pretty horrendous recruit in the end.

We need a #1 ruck for next year more than anything else.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    If true, it's been a pretty horrendous recruit in the end.

We need a #1 ruck for next year more than anything else.
    I wouldn't say horrendous as the cost was minimal but recruiting a 34 year old ruck coming off an injury plagued year was asking for trouble. Imagine if we'd targeted Hickey instead, who cost Sydney peanuts (some pick swaps) and would be perfect for us.

Could have been a premiership winning decision.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I wouldn't say horrendous as the cost was minimal but recruiting a 34 year old ruck coming off an injury plagued year was asking for trouble. Imagine if we'd targeted Hickey instead, who cost Sydney peanuts (some pick swaps) and would be perfect for us.
    Don't forget the mentoring and ruck coaching he has brought to the club. Can't be underestimated.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Dry Rot, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Could have been a premiership winning decision.
    Yeah I should have clarified.

Horrendous in that it COULD cost us a Premiership THIS year. That's how important it is IMO. A few of us did mention at the time Martin was a risk given his age and so it's come to pass.

Hickey would have been great.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

TBH I'd play Young ahead of Sweet, and I have serious doubts about Young.
    Ladhams/Max Lynch next year please.

Naughton, Marra and English as a three-pronged forwardline next year. Bruce works his arse off if he wants to play as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The club is so very unlucky. No one could’ve predicted we needed a mature, fit and match ready ruckman.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TBH I'd play Young ahead of Sweet, and I have serious doubts about Young.
    Ladhams/Max Lynch next year please.

Naughton, Marra and English as a three-pronged forwardline next year. Bruce works his arse off if he wants to play as well.
    I've liked Bruce but you're right, it's only getting harder for him from here on out. An attack of Naughton/English/Marra looks better.

He needs a good finals series - last few weeks haven't been good enough.
    W00F!