Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 43 of 90 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    With Bruce going down, I think a no 1 ruck is even more important now.
    Behind Luke Jackson, English is the best forward/ruck in the competition. Naughton and JUH are going get a pre-season together and the three of those guys will be our tall forward targets next year.

I know he's not the sexiest name going around, but I really want Max Lynch. He's no monster (200cm and 99kgs) but his running capacity for a ruckman is extraordinary and he'd fit in our system really well and at 22 years old is an 8-10 year prospect.
    More importantly he's gettable as he's stuck behind Grundy & Cameron at Collingwood.
    Good call out Mofra, mobility in a ruck man is what I think Bevo is after.
    Lynch would be worth a close look at.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good call out Mofra, mobility in a ruck man is what I think Bevo is after.
    Lynch would be worth a close look at.
    Not just Bevo, no one wants an old fashion lumbering ruck anymore
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Leon Cameron does. It's odd-on that Briggs becomes their no 1 ruck next year with Pruess the second option. Both are Mumford clones - big, slow, brutish.

We do need a mobile ruck though. A lot has been said of Ladhams but he may not leave and with Dixon in his last year next year he might be convinced to stay. There are rumours of his off-field issues as well which may put us off.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at a lot of the ruck man in the competition. There are a few of the slower types still performing well.

Mobile and versatile would be a Bevo. and a few other coaches, trait.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

With Bruce going down, I think a no 1 ruck is even more important now.
    Behind Luke Jackson, English is the best forward/ruck in the competition. Naughton and JUH are going get a pre-season together and the three of those guys will be our tall forward targets next year.

I know he's not the sexiest name going around, but I really want Max Lynch. He's no monster (200cm and 99kgs) but his running capacity for a ruckman is extraordinary and he'd fit in our system really well and at 22 years old is an 8-10 year prospect.
    More importantly he's gettable as he's stuck behind Grundy & Cameron at Collingwood.
    Is Lynch more physical than English? I really think we need a yang to English ying not a like for like.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The nominations for best AFL under 22 is struggling to find rucks.

Clubs just don't want to invest in young ruckman.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The nominations for best AFL under 22 is struggling to find rucks.

You need to have played 12 games this year to qualify for the squad and not many rucks are ready at that age to be playing full(ish) seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You need to have played 12 games this year to qualify for the squad and not many rucks are ready at that age to be playing full(ish) seasons.
    18 teams and the choice is very limited

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is Lynch more physical than English? I really think we need a yang to English ying not a like for like.
    Without wanting to sound harsh, I think most ruckmen are.
    English is a midfielder who became a ruck due to his growth spurt, who just happens to have developed very quickly in a forward role.
    Lynch is a ruck who just happens to have a weapon (tank) that we can seek to build on and exploit.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's just the role where it's most important to have a mature body. Most kids tall enough to play ruck (200cm+) are beanpoles at 18 and take 4 years to fill out, and clubs are typically not expecting much from them till then anyway. The 200cm kids that are talented enough to get games despite not being big yet are typically the ones that are really good in a different spot than ruck.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

12. Likes Mofra, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I think it's just the role where it's most important to have a mature body. Most kids tall enough to play ruck (200cm+) are beanpoles at 18 and take 4 years to fill out, and clubs are typically not expecting much from them till then anyway. The 200cm kids that are talented enough to get games despite not being big yet are typically the ones that are really good in a different spot than ruck.
    Add to that a lot of very good rucks were taken as late picks or rookies - Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands come to mind.
    Rowan Marshall was also a rookie.
    Plus good ones can often be found mature and ready to go for later picks e.g. Nankervis for a third rounder, Witts at GCS.

14. Likes macca, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Add to that a lot of very good rucks were taken as late picks or rookies - Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands come to mind.
    Rowan Marshall was also a rookie.
    Plus good ones can often be found mature and ready to go for later picks e.g. Nankervis for a third rounder, Witts at GCS.
    Good call Mofra. Witts leaving the pies was a coup for GCS. He was behind Grundy and I recall they did not have a ruck coach at the time.

Anyone in rucks the local leagues that would be an interest at 21-22 years of age ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Good call Mofra. Witts leaving the pies was a coup for GCS. He was behind Grundy and I recall they did not have a ruck coach at the time.

Anyone in rucks the local leagues that would be an interest at 21-22 years of age ?
    TBH I think Lynch is just about the best performed ruck at VFL level this year that is gettable and that would suit us.
    Meek may come cheap and is bigger than Lynch but I'm not sure he's our type.

17. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo said pregame at worst halving the ruck contests is what we have to do.

Then for the love of Christ go recruit one of reasonable age and sound body.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Jesse Glass McCasker Footscray VFL (198cm 98kg) has only had the opportunity to play primary ruck in two matches, when Sweet was in our AFL side. Comparing his stats with Max Lynch when playing against the same teams JGM is superior esp in clearances and tackling.

Against GC Suns
    Glass McCasker Goal 1 Disp 14 HO 38 Clearances 5 Marks 4 Tackles 5
    Max Lynch Goal 0 Disp 12 HO 29 Clearances 3 Marks 5 Tackles 2

Frankston
    Glass McCasker Goal 1 Disp 17 HO33 Clearances 9 Marks 2 Tackles 5
    Max Lynch Goal 1 Disp 19 HO36 Clearances 5 Marks 3 Tackles 3

20. Likes GVGjr, Mofra liked this post