Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 45 of 90 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Rock the party or Ruck the party? Flight of the Conchords rule...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Rock the party or Ruck the party? Flight of the Conchords rule...
    Done. I nominate you as our Mel.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the plan is to keep a 35 bloke with a shot body, not ruck English, play Young or whoever because he’s leaving no doubt, plus ruck Bont then people have to go. It keeps *!*!*!*!ing us over and we keep expecting it won’t.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes SonofScray, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No point bringing in a second ruck like Ladhams as we will end up with two pseudo ruckman who can sort of play forward.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is flogging a dead horse but I was looking at the stats between Martin and Sweet this year and there's not a lot of difference.

Martin v Sweet 2021 averages

7 Games 5
    3.1 Kicks 4.2
    6.9 Handballs 4.4
    10.0 Disposals 8.6
    1.1 Marks 2.4
    0.1 Goals 0.2
    0 Behinds 0.4
    1.6 Tackles 3.8
    17.6 Hitouts 19.8
    0.4 Inside 50s 1.8
    0.3 Goal Assists 0.2
    0.9 Frees For 1.6
    1.9 Frees Against 2.0
    7.0 Contested Possessions 4.4
    3.1 Uncontested Possessions 4.6
    7.1 Effective Disposals 6.2
    71% Disposal Efficiency % 72.1%
    3.1 Clangers 3.2
    0.4 Contested Marks 0.2
    0 Marks Inside 50 0.4
    2.9 Clearances 2.4
    0 Rebound 50s 0.4
    2.0 One Percenters 3.4
    0 Bounces 0
    71.1 Time On Ground % 75.6
    1.4 Centre Clearances 0.8
    1.4 Stoppage Clearances 1.6
    3.9 Score Involvements 3.6
    34.6 Metres Gained 144.6
    0.9 Turnovers 2.0
    1.9 Intercepts 1.2
    0.6 Tackles Inside 50 0.6

Now I know stats aren't everything but why didn't we give Sweet the time the same as English who we all admit is an ordinary ruck man at this stage of his career and may never be the number one ruck option. I get English was a high draft pick and offers more around the ground but how was his early years that we stuck with even though he was getting smashed.

When Martin went down we should have bit the bullet with Sweet and kept a structure that was winning.

The VFL has been on and off all season and its a loss of development we get into Sweet who plays a position we are in desperate need for. Martin could have been down on the boundary as Jordan's personnel ruck coach guiding him through the games.
    Also if we go back to one of the last VFL games it was Sweet who was getting slaughtered in the ruck moved forward and kicked 3 goals to get us back into a winning position and was also much improved in the ruck after the stint forward.

What I'm basically saying is how much would we have lost by having Sweet cover Martin as it's nearly like for like.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

9. Thanks 1eyedog, SonofScray, G-Mo77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I know this is flogging a dead horse but I was looking at the stats between Martin and Sweet this year and there's not a lot of difference.

10.0 Disposals 8.6
    1.1 Marks 2.4
    0.1 Goals 0.2
    0 Behinds 0.4
    1.6 Tackles 3.8
    17.6 Hitouts 19.8
    0.4 Inside 50s 1.8
    0.3 Goal Assists 0.2
    0.9 Frees For 1.6

2.0 One Percenters 3.4

Now I know stats aren't everything but why didn't we give Sweet the time the same as English who we all admit is an ordinary ruck man at this stage of his career and may never be the number one ruck option. I get English was a high draft pick and offers more around the ground but how was his early years that we stuck with even though he was getting smashed.

When Martin went down we should have bit the bullet with Sweet and kept a structure that was winning.

The VFL has been on and off all season and its a loss of development we get into Sweet who plays a position we are in desperate need for. Martin could have been down on the boundary as Jordan's personnel ruck coach guiding him through the games.
    Also if we go back to one of the last VFL games it was Sweet who was getting slaughtered in the ruck moved forward and kicked 3 goals to get us back into a winning position and was also much improved in the ruck after the stint forward.

What I'm basically saying is how much would we have lost by having Sweet cover Martin as it's nearly like for like.
    We clearly had two comparable ruckmen whose on- field performances gave a stable winning structure and the clubÂ’s best start to a season in years.

Unfortunately one of them was shown up as not yet perfect by the competitionÂ’s best ruckman playing in the competionÂ’s best team. The clubÂ’s response was to ignore his existence and assign the role to others.

We were happy to settle for losing 50% of the remaining games and the double chance and the minor premiership..

But at least we didnÂ’t allow Sweet to cause the catastrophic end to the home and away games. We played others who could do it.

11. Likes SonofScray, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t underestimate the impact no VFL has had on Sweet and other members of the playing group over the past 2 years. Hard to develop when you’re not playing, and the AFL may not be the best place to learn if you’re a fair way off the pace.

13. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

7 Games 5
    3.1 Kicks 4.2
    6.9 Handballs 4.4
    10.0 Disposals 8.6
    1.1 Marks 2.4
    0.1 Goals 0.2
    0 Behinds 0.4
    1.6 Tackles 3.8
    17.6 Hitouts 19.8
    0.4 Inside 50s 1.8
    0.3 Goal Assists 0.2
    0.9 Frees For 1.6
    1.9 Frees Against 2.0
    7.0 Contested Possessions 4.4
    3.1 Uncontested Possessions 4.6
    7.1 Effective Disposals 6.2
    71% Disposal Efficiency % 72.1%
    3.1 Clangers 3.2
    0.4 Contested Marks 0.2
    0 Marks Inside 50 0.4
    2.9 Clearances 2.4
    0 Rebound 50s 0.4
    2.0 One Percenters 3.4
    0 Bounces 0
    71.1 Time On Ground % 75.6
    1.4 Centre Clearances 0.8
    1.4 Stoppage Clearances 1.6
    3.9 Score Involvements 3.6
    34.6 Metres Gained 144.6
    0.9 Turnovers 2.0
    1.9 Intercepts 1.2
    0.6 Tackles Inside 50 0.6

If Sweet had kept up his early season VFL form I'm sure he would have been given more opportunity at AFL level.
    I'm not writing him off yet (especially after another pre-season) but we have to remember one of his AFL games was against Gold Coast against no-one.

I am still heavily in favour of bringing in a ruck at trade period. It's been my number 1 priority from early in the season when Timmy showed he is a very good forward/ruck.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dep...4a41f0c32ce5dd

Collingwood forward Mason Cox has effectively been told to explore his options, with the American Pie adamant “there’s a lot more to my AFL career that can be explored”.

Cox played just seven games during the Magpies’ 2021 campaign, but 9 News Melbourne reported Cox had yet to receive a contract offer from the club, which is focused on finding its new senior coach at this stage.

Asked by 9 News Melbourne’s Braden Ingram if he would want to play on at another club next year if he didn’t get an offer from the Pies, Cox said: “Yeah definitely. I think there’s a lot more to my AFL career that can be explored.

“Even if it may be switching positions to a ruck more, rather than a forward role.
    He's not my first choice but he'd be free and probably cheap in cap terms. I'd rather have ruck cover on the list than not.

Post Thanks / Like

For Ruck Sake.

Maybe at 3am and desperation sets in after everything with a pulse says ‘no’. Even then, I might just go home and Hannan one out before sleep.

17. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dep...4a41f0c32ce5dd

He's not my first choice but he'd be free and probably cheap in cap terms. I'd rather have ruck cover on the list than not.
    It's not a bad idea, but for me I'd have him on the list but hopefully there's a few names before him.

Callum Sinclair would be an upgrade on our current situation and considering the Swans cap issues could be quite a cheap get.

He's capable of at least halving things which is a step in the right direction!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If Sweet had kept up his early season VFL form I'm sure he would have been given more opportunity at AFL level.
    I'm not writing him off yet (especially after another pre-season) but we have to remember one of his AFL games was against Gold Coast against no-one.

I am still heavily in favour of bringing in a ruck at trade period. It's been my number 1 priority from early in the season when Timmy showed he is a very good forward/ruck.
    And let’s remember that Martin and English combined to have 17 hitouts against North. I think that’s the number Sweet got against Gawn, in his worst game.

Post Thanks / Like

If Mason was committed to no. 1 ruck duties, surely he’d be worth a look as a cheap option.

I get the reservations (for lack of a better word) but there’s likely at least a half decent ruckman in there somewhere
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo was talking about Stef, and said the concern was not whether he could compete in the stoppages but whether he could 'play his role in the turnover game' - I imagine that the criticism of Sweet is not whether he can ruck, but whether he can stick to his role outside of the stoppages.

22. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Bevo was talking about Stef, and said the concern was not whether he could compete in the stoppages but whether he could 'play his role in the turnover game' - I imagine that the criticism of Sweet is not whether he can ruck, but whether he can stick to his role outside of the stoppages.
    It's something that Bevo has been consistent with - he wants a ruck that can contribute around the ground. We can pretty much rule out tap-only ruckman as an option at trade time.

Both Lahdhams and Max Lynch are good runners for talls. Mason Cox, for all his awkwardness, can run. For the same reason I don't think we would have even asked the question of Preuss every time he gets the urge to make another poor career decision.