Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 49 of 90 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

The fact that English is just about the only 'main ruck' on this list is deeply concerning.

Probably also says Ladhams isn't what we need.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The fact that English is just about the only 'main ruck' on this list is deeply concerning.

Probably also says Ladhams isn't what we need.
    You may be right about Ladhams, but he has Lycett take the bulk of the work. Timmy has been the main man for the past few months.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    That's what I was looking for.

Looking at some of those names ON the list and the fact that English isn't even on it .... well, Tim, that's bloody awful.
    It's hyper weird. He's what, 207cm and super athletic with great agility and a fantastic leap. I just don't get it. 207cm!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Another way to look at it.

Here are the top 25 for hitouts. Who can we target.

2021 AFL League Hitouts Per Game Leaders (Minimum 5 Games Played)
    So your telling me we have a ''top 25'' ruck on our list and have refused to develop him?

Sigh....
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    So your telling me we have a ''top 25'' ruck on our list and have refused to develop him?

Sigh....
    Are hit outs everything.........? Not sure those four hitouts a game that Sweet gets over the hitouts English gets make or break our success.

I've come to think that if Jordan Sweet doesn't play for the next two years he'll end up having the reputation of Gary Dempsey.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've come to think that if Jordan Sweet doesn't play for the next two years he'll end up having the reputation of Gary Dempsey.
    That is true of Bulldog players. The longer they don't play, the better they get.

For all we know Lewie Young has as much chance of making it as a ruck as Jordan Sweet. Sweet has the aggression and the tap contests, Lewie may have him covered around the ground. Both are still developing kids.

Given their age we could feasibly take a 1-2 year ruck option and it would suit us (as much as I would prefer a gun in their prime with 5+ years left)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I've said this a few times there is no point chasing Ladhams, Chol, Max Lynch etc as they all seem way too similar to English and Young.

We need a genuine number 1 ruck who shows some physicality at the man and contest.

Players like Mumford, Marshall, Draper, Nank.

GWS seem to have the right mindset they have 3-4 big ruckman on their list all who like the physical side of the game.

Seriously, how good would Bontempelli be with a genuine ruck?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I've said this a few times there is no point chasing Ladhams, Chol, Max Lynch etc as they all seem way too similar to English and Young.

We need a genuine number 1 ruck who shows some physicality at the man and contest.

Players like Mumford, Marshall, Draper, Nank.

GWS seem to have the right mindset they have 3-4 big ruckman on their list all who like the physical side of the game.

Seriously, how good would Bontempelli be with a genuine ruck?
    Agreed they are the classic prototypes but, unfortunately, they're not Bevo types. How good would our midfield be with a dominant ruck?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed they are the classic prototypes but, unfortunately, they're not Bevo types. How good would our midfield be with a dominant ruck?
    No more hasbeens, we need a genuine good ruckman. How lucky are melbourne. Gawn is the ideal ruck.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely even as dog stubborn as Bevo is, he has to be starting to question his own method here? Sure - agile rucks like Dean Cox are great, but how many of them have we seen in the last 20 years?

It's bloody clear we need an intimidating ruck (Ben Hudson you were magnificent). Nic Nat would be great, but even one of GWS' big boys would be fine.

I refuse to believe that Bevo's tune can't be changing. And if it isn't, WTF is Chris Grant, Ameet Baines, Sam Power, every assistant coach, and EVERY midfielder doing when they talk to him!?

If I'm Marcus, I'm having a very real conversation with Bevo at the end of this year. GET. A. RUCK. If we pay overs, we pay overs. Just GET a quality ruck.
    W00F!

13. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No more hasbeens, we need a genuine good ruckman. How lucky are melbourne. Gawn is the ideal ruck.
    Like who though? Chol, Ladhams, Lynch, Meek et al. are the names floating around.

Post Thanks / Like

Like who though? Chol, Ladhams, Lynch, Meek et al. are the names floating around.
    All I am saying is no more 34/35 year olds
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Kieran Strachan?
    25 years old, 204cm, 103kgs, playing very well in the SANFL (probably the best performed SANFL ruck this year), stuck behind Reilly O'Brien at the crows. Wouldn't cost much.

Averaging 16 disposals and 36.5 hit outs in the SANFL
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

This is copy pasted from the Stefan Martin thread, but relevant here.

We need at a minimum a ruck who:
    -isn't a liability around the ground
    -Is able to hold his own in the ruck so that the opposition don't get an advantage from that matchup.

It would be nice to have a matchwinner in there, but considering we have plonked our cash down on matchwinners in our midfield then we just need someone who can do their job.

Couple that with us not having the trade capital to go for one of the 6 genuinely good rucks, means that all we need is someone solid.

A few names that seem ball park to me and should be cheap are:
    -Kieran Strachan. Big country lad from Bendigo. Played 3 games. Undertsudy to O'Brien who is locked in as the Crows ruck for basically forever. Seemed to cover the ground well. He is an ex rookie that should cost nothing, maybe the Lipinski pick at most.
    -Rhys Stanley. Mobile and "athletic". Not an outstanding ruck but I believe is better at holing his own than our bunch, and I think a bit like Hickey could benefit from a fresh start where he the focus is on what he can do again. Would be free.
    -Ben McEvoy. Old so maybe in danger of dying on field like Martin, but solid as hell, good ruckman who can push into defence. Not as atheltic as Stanley but a much better player and good in the air. Should be free.
    -Jon Ceglar. Been a solid battler for ages. Can clunk a mark and isn't terrible around the ground although doesn't move very athletically. I think he holds his own in the ruck. Would be free.
    -Matthew Flynn. Big boy that played a number of games this year. Can find the ball ok, although I don't think he is overly impressive with it. Decent in the hitout stakes, and is possibly surplus at GWS who have preferred Mumford to him at times and is competing with Briggs and Preuss should he ever return. Would basically be the most expensive of the rucks listed above, but again wouldn't cost much imo. Maybe a future second at most (which is really pick 30+)
    -Peter Ladhams. Has been brought up a lot here. Not sure he is actually the hitout ruck we need, projects a bit like English in that he is a ruck forward who's worst feature is probably his hitouts. Better at that than Tim though, good link up player around the ground and can perform forward. Free agent.
    -Max Lynch. I've honestly never seen him play but his limited numbers seem decent enough. Unsure what he is like in the other aspects of his game. Can't imagine he'd cost much.

There are a few other names that could be brought up like Chol, Williams, Goldstein, Coleman-Jones, Hayes but I don't know a heap about most of them.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

18. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    This is copy pasted from the Stefan Martin thread, but relevant here.

We need at a minimum a ruck who:
    -isn't a liability around the ground
    -Is able to hold his own in the ruck so that the opposition don't get an advantage from that matchup.

It would be nice to have a matchwinner in there, but considering we have plonked our cash down on matchwinners in our midfield then we just need someone who can do their job.

Couple that with us not having the trade capital to go for one of the 6 genuinely good rucks, means that all we need is someone solid.

A few names that seem ball park to me and should be cheap are:
    -Kieran Strachan. Big country lad from Bendigo. Played 3 games. Undertsudy to O'Brien who is locked in as the Crows ruck for basically forever. Seemed to cover the ground well. He is an ex rookie that should cost nothing, maybe the Lipinski pick at most.
    -Rhys Stanley. Mobile and "athletic". Not an outstanding ruck but I believe is better at holing his own than our bunch, and I think a bit like Hickey could benefit from a fresh start where he the focus is on what he can do again. Would be free.
    -Ben McEvoy. Old so maybe in danger of dying on field like Martin, but solid as hell, good ruckman who can push into defence. Not as atheltic as Stanley but a much better player and good in the air. Should be free.
    -Jon Ceglar. Been a solid battler for ages. Can clunk a mark and isn't terrible around the ground although doesn't move very athletically. I think he holds his own in the ruck. Would be free.
    -Matthew Flynn. Big boy that played a number of games this year. Can find the ball ok, although I don't think he is overly impressive with it. Decent in the hitout stakes, and is possibly surplus at GWS who have preferred Mumford to him at times and is competing with Briggs and Preuss should he ever return. Would basically be the most expensive of the rucks listed above, but again wouldn't cost much imo. Maybe a future second at most (which is really pick 30+)
    -Peter Ladhams. Has been brought up a lot here. Not sure he is actually the hitout ruck we need, projects a bit like English in that he is a ruck forward who's worst feature is probably his hitouts. Better at that than Tim though, good link up player around the ground and can perform forward. Free agent.
    -Max Lynch. I've honestly never seen him play but his limited numbers seem decent enough. Unsure what he is like in the other aspects of his game. Can't imagine he'd cost much.

There are a few other names that could be brought up like Chol, Williams, Goldstein, Coleman-Jones, Hayes but I don't know a heap about most of them.
    The only player in there better than Sweet / English is Ceglar. McEvoy is getting on now (33 next year) and Ceglar is late 20s. I'd be ok with Ceglar.

Lynch has shown promise but the sample size is small. Played one really solid game against Gawn but otherwise has struggled to make an impact around the ground. He's basically on-par with Sweet for mine. The rest are of unknown quality to me with the exception of Stanley, he's an upgrade on English but still a battler. I guess he's better than what we have.