Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 51 of 90 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We were gonna recruit that bloke from Port who got delisted (lucky for us it didn't happen) and I'm sure we've tried for others (Steph has apparently been a consistent target) so I'm not sure the above is fair. He clearly has an idea of what a ruckman is that fits this team but filling that role has been difficult.
    Power has indicated we're going for a mature ruckman this year. BF has us linked with Flynn (terrible injury history) and Ceglar.
    Neither excite me that much.

I really wanted Strachan (who just re-signed with the Crows) and still like Max Lynch who looks set to go to Hawthorn (hence Ceglar is available despite being contracted).
    I still think we just have to ask the question of Nankervis. He'd be expensive but Richmond have a bunch of later 2021 picks so we could put our first rounder down and not cost much (if anything) in 2021 draft points.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Power has indicated we're going for a mature ruckman this year. BF has us linked with Flynn (terrible injury history) and Ceglar.
    Neither excite me that much.

I really wanted Strachan (who just re-signed with the Crows) and still like Max Lynch who looks set to go to Hawthorn (hence Ceglar is available despite being contracted).
    I still think we just have to ask the question of Nankervis. He'd be expensive but Richmond have a bunch of later 2021 picks so we could put our first rounder down and not cost much (if anything) in 2021 draft points.
    Can't we convince Lynch ?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't we convince Lynch ?
    Lynch is an English clone. I don't see him being a physical presence and I would not be chasing him.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Lynch is an English clone. I don't see him being a physical presence and I would not be chasing him.
    He has only played 3 games, so how do you work that out?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He has only played 3 games, so how do you work that out?
    By looking at him. He isn't tall for a ruckman I would suggest he weighs around the 100kg mark. Keep in mind he is already 23.

I don't see Lynch being the guy to solve our ruck issue in 2022 and 2023.

My preference is to get a physical ruckman like Nankervis, Mumford, Ben Hudson etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I see the opposite - he's purely a no 1 ruck, not a forward/ruck like English. I'd go so far as to wonder whether the fact he's 'only' a ruckman has warned us off him.

He's also an aerobic beast - in the top 5 at Collingwood for their 2km time trial so he can certainly cover the ground well, so he would fit in our system where the ruck has to roll back.

Yes he's only 200cm.... or in other words, slightly taller than Stef Martin or Nankervis

Post Thanks / Like

I see the opposite - he's purely a no 1 ruck, not a forward/ruck like English. I'd go so far as to wonder whether the fact he's 'only' a ruckman has warned us off him.

He's also an aerobic beast - in the top 5 at Collingwood for their 2km time trial so he can certainly cover the ground well, so he would fit in our system where the ruck has to roll back.

Yes he's only 200cm.... or in other words, slightly taller than Stef Martin or Nankervis
    Good snapshot of Lynch.

Martin and Nankervis do not get pushed around in the ruck contest that is my concern with Lynch.

8. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My preference is to get a physical ruckman like Nankervis, Mumford, Ben Hudson etc.
    Team Beefcake.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin and Nankervis do not get pushed around in the ruck contest that is my concern with Lynch.
    Where do we rate Ceglar on that score? He seems the most likely pick up for us.

I have to admit, Ceglar seems 'just ok' to me but I struggle to get too enthusiastic. A definite upgrade on a raw Lewie Young, Sweet and as a pure ruckman English (who I think is a brilliant forward/ruck). He's be 31 at the start of next year so I assume he'll get a 2 year deal, or a 1 + 1.
    Apart from 19 games in 2016 he's never managed more than 15 games in a season either.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, Ceglar seems 'just ok' to me but I struggle to get too enthusiastic. A definite upgrade on a raw Lewie Young, Sweet and as a pure ruckman English (who I think is a brilliant forward/ruck). He's be 31 at the start of next year so I assume he'll get a 2 year deal, or a 1 + 1.
    Apart from 19 games in 2016 he's never managed more than 15 games in a season either.
    Ceglar seems to me like a player that can approximate what Stef can do and we have seen how much better we are with Stef in the ruck.

As an added bonus he's not totally useless forward either. I would be happy to give him 2 years if he's the best available option.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree Ceglar is no world beater but he is equal to what Martin can offer and a definite upgrade on our other options.

Hopefully Sam Power has some big fish on the hook who is 25 and ready to go!

Rucks are so important and they are rare as hens teeth.

Post Thanks / Like

BRISBANE RUCKMAN REQUESTS A TRADE

Brisbane ruckman Archie Smith has made the decision to depart the football club.

The 26-year-old has requested a trade after struggling to break into the Lions’ best 22. story continuers in link

Any interest? I know nothing about him

Post Thanks / Like

BRISBANE RUCKMAN REQUESTS A TRADE

Brisbane ruckman Archie Smith has made the decision to depart the football club.

The 26-year-old has requested a trade after struggling to break into the Lions’ best 22. story continuers in link

Any interest? I know nothing about him
    Are we set on a brute? This guy is one of the best 200cm+ athletes in the competition but isn't a 'brute'.
    I think he's got no forwardcraft whatsoever but (mentioned elsewhere) I'd take him before Mason Cox, Chol, or any other 'free' ruck going around.

FWIW footywire lists him as an RFA so he would cost nothing but cap. Stef Martin would know him very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we set on a brute? This guy is one of the best 200cm+ athletes in the competition but isn't a 'brute'.
    I think he's got no forwardcraft whatsoever but (mentioned elsewhere) I'd take him before Mason Cox, Chol, or any other 'free' ruck going around.

FWIW footywire lists him as an RFA so he would cost nothing but cap. Stef Martin would know him very well.
    We need a good tap ruckman and if he can do that, why not.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a good tap ruckman and if he can do that, why not.
    I can't find the VFL stats from this year. In the NEAFL in 2019 he was regularly getting in the 30s and 40s for hit-outs, and he had 30 hit-outs on debut in 2016.

I think he's the type that would cover the ground pretty well and would certainly be ahead of Sweet in the pecking order.
    Would we take Ceglar and Smith? If we acknowledge that English is a forward moreso than ruck, we're left next year with a crumbling Stef Martin perhaps, a raw Sweet, and a beanpole Sam Darcy who many think is a better KPD anyway and who will be nowhere near ready for AFL.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post