Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 54 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The plan is to ignore it. Good rucks don’t change grand finals.
    Ouch. Too soon man.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

West Coast know a bit about decent ruckmen, if they’re keen on Sweet we shouldn’t be letting him go under any circumstances.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes azabob, Grantysghost, Bulldog4life, Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wowsers
    Because you cant beat the boys of the BULLDOG breed!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    West Coast know a bit about decent ruckmen, if they’re keen on Sweet we shouldn’t be letting him go under any circumstances.

My thoughts exactly, if West Coast are chasing him that says something to me.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    My thoughts exactly, if West Coast are chasing him that says something to me.
    I don't think we should panic-sign Sweet based on anther club's desire to list him as a back-up.
    If he has a big pre-season he might be a 'first back up' ruck but the rule of 'the longer a player doesn't play, the better they get' seems to be true when it comes to Sweet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I don't think we should panic-sign Sweet based on anther club's desire to list him as a back-up.
    If he has a big pre-season he might be a 'first back up' ruck but the rule of 'the longer a player doesn't play, the better they get' seems to be true when it comes to Sweet.
    Vardy eventually delivered in that GF 2018 season, but before hand he was threatening to enter eker status, with Geelong , 25 games over 5 years

Vardy played 22 games in 2017, but they must be good as surprisingly, Lycette only played 1 game for 2017, and Nic Nat Zero

its kinda got all the Vardy signs here. He could play all 22 games next year as 2nd ruck with Nic Nat on the park.

Lycett has been injured and in and out of the Power side.

Point is durable ruckman are unique like GoldStein/Grudy/Gawn . They get injured and for long periods, in and out of a side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Vardy eventually delivered in that GF 2018 season, but before hand he was threatening to enter eker status, with Geelong , 25 games over 5 years

Vardy played 22 games in 2017, but they must be good as surprisingly, Lycette only played 1 game for 2017, and Nic Nat Zero

its kinda got all the Vardy signs here. He could play all 22 games next year as 2nd ruck with Nic Nat on the park.

Lycett has been injured and in and out of the Power side.

Point is durable ruckman are unique like GoldStein/Grudy/Gawn . They get injured and for long periods, in and out of a side.
    Bailey Williams' development would be their priority, if they can hold onto him. Seems more mobile than Sweet

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with this is the Dogs have spent at least 5 years proving that they neither know what a ruckman is nor what to do with them anyway.

11. Likes SonofScray, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WC managed to turn Vardy into a premiership ruckman. As a club, they identify and utilise big men better than most. If they identify Sweet as a talent worth investing in, even as a back up, we should not let him go given how dire our stocks are. Would be absolute insanity.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    WC managed to turn Vardy into a premiership ruckman. As a club, they identify and utilise big men better than most. If they identify Sweet as a talent worth investing in, even as a back up, we should not let him go given how dire our stocks are. Would be absolute insanity.
    I think we have an issue with not placing any value on rucks ever since Bevo took over.

Bevo wants a Dean Cox tall midfielder and forsakes hitouts and even an ability to negate the opposition for someone who might take a mark on the wing.

I believe our ruck development (English and Sweet particularly) has been compromised by the attitude from the top.

We have all come to the conclusion that English can't make it as a No 1 ruck, but is his inability to develop into the role due to the coach preferring him to be a tall midfielder.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

14. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English lacks desperation, any mongrel and competitiveness. Most ruckman have one or more of these traits. English has none. It's a sad fact and one that was probably known when we drafted him but we probably thought this would develop, plus his height and skills were very appealing.

I'm more convinced than ever that you can't coach competitiveness.

16. Likes Sedat, josie, azabob, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    English lacks desperation, any mongrel and competitiveness. Most ruckman have one or more of these traits. English has none. It's a sad fact and one that was probably known when we drafted him but we probably thought this would develop, plus his height and skills were very appealing.

I'm more convinced than ever that you can't coach competitiveness.
    This may well be the case, but my life experience is that you can learn behaviour and competitiveness is a behaviour.

I understand it comes more naturally to some, but that doesn't mean it cannot be learnt.

We have not developed confidence in Tim and confidence helps.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    This may well be the case, but my life experience is that you can learn behaviour and competitiveness is a behaviour.

I understand it comes more naturally to some, but that doesn't mean it cannot be learnt.

We have not developed confidence in Tim and confidence helps.
    I think he lost some confidence after being concussed. He started the year quiet well, but you can see in packs, he is expecting a hit and not going for the ball as hard as he was.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceglar:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/...or-a-new-club/

Jonathon Ceglar is looking for a new club as Hawthorn’s rebuild gathers steam.

Ceglar is contracted until the end of 2022 – the last year of a three-year deal signed in 2019 - but has been asked to explore opportunities elsewhere.

The 30-year-old ruckman finished the season strongly, but now looks likely to make way as new Hawks coach Sam Mitchell hunts a stronger foothold in this year’s draft.

Hawthorn has picks 5, 21, 24, 56 and 62, yet has been bullish about its desire to replenish its stocks any way it can.

The Hawks also have an interest in opportunity-starved Collingwood big man Max Lynch, 23. Unlike Hawthorn, Collingwood is chasing later picks in the draft to absorb an early bid on father-on Nick Daicos.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentions that it’s accepted we’ll sign Stef again….so…are we *really* in the market for another ruck?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs