Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 6 of 90 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't believe in gifting players a game, but I think Campbell is just about ready to step up. He has been consistent over the past few weeks and his ground work has improved as well. I do believe he is better than Cordy as a ruckman.
    True but Bevo is looking for more than just being a ruckman He wants a follower who can play forward too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    But Roughy is our #1 ruck.

We don't need Campbell to be a better 'ruck man' whatever that means in this modern game. Who cares if he can win a few more taps. The role of the second ruck man is to play forward and fit into the defensive structure when not rucking.

Is Campbell better than Cordy at this?
    We can play Roughie and Campbell, why not and yes better than Cordy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    True but Bevo is looking for more than just being a ruckman He wants a follower who can play forward too
    Campbell has shown he can play forward. Cordy can't ruck or play forward at AFL level.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Campbell has shown he can play forward. Cordy can't ruck or play forward at AFL level.
    So are you saying we should delist Cordy if he can't play at AFL level as you said BAD?

Post Thanks / Like

So are you saying we should delist Cordy if he can't play at AFL level as you said BAD?
    Don't be surprised if he is gone by year end.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not a believer in Roughead as a Ruck/Forward. His best position is full back, its where all his best football has been.

If Minson is going to be in the team, I'd prefer he played as the predominant ruckman, and Boyd and Rough can pinch hit there.

But I'd like to see Campbell get a run soon.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cordy should have been delisted 2 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think Minson did more harm than good when playing forward on the weekend. There was one point Stringer had snuck out the back and had Lewy Taylor 1v1 and was calling for it on his head. Minson lumbered back to the square taking his man with him and forced Stringer to lead into the pocket, luckily Bonti found him and Stringer slotted the tight angled set shot but Minson had no forward sense and turned a 90% goal chance into something significantly tougher. He does it continually, dragging his man to the square on a fast play and turning a 1v1 into a big pack situation which plays into the defenders hands. It's something he can be taught but his first thought when playing forward must change from 'get to the square because I'm tall'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I honestly think Minson did more harm than good when playing forward on the weekend. There was one point Stringer had snuck out the back and had Lewy Taylor 1v1 and was calling for it on his head. Minson lumbered back to the square taking his man with him and forced Stringer to lead into the pocket, luckily Bonti found him and Stringer slotted the tight angled set shot but Minson had no forward sense and turned a 90% goal chance into something significantly tougher. He does it continually, dragging his man to the square on a fast play and turning a 1v1 into a big pack situation which plays into the defenders hands. It's something he can be taught but his first thought when playing forward must change from 'get to the square because I'm tall'
    Or maybe just maybe Minson knew exactly what he was doing? Stringer is probably more of a chance slotting the goal from the pocket rather than straight infront!

In all seriousness though that was dumb from Minson. I just don't expect anything from him when he goes forward anymore. Makes it less frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    Or maybe just maybe Minson knew exactly what he was doing? Stringer is probably more of a chance slotting the goal from the pocket rather than straight infront!

In all seriousness though that was dumb from Minson. I just don't expect anything from him when he goes forward anymore. Makes it less frustrating.
    But if he's actually making the forward line less functional doesn't it become a serious concern?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    But if he's actually making the forward line less functional doesn't it become a serious concern?
    For sure. Roughy was also extremely underwhelming whilst playing forward. Considering the calibre of Brisbane's tall defenders our rucks really should have had a greater impact in the air considering the amount of inside 50's we generated.

Last week the Saints only went in with Longer and used Bruce to give him a chop out.

What would be your preferred ruck set up this week assuming they leave Hickey out and go with the same line-up (3 tall forwards Roo, Bruce, Membrey)?

I would like to see Minson back as first ruck. Roughy to the backline and when Bruce gives Longer a chop out Roughy follows him on ball.

Our ruck combination/set-up must be what our coaches spend majority of the week trying to figure out. Especially with Ayce coming off a career best game in the VFL and Campbell being in decent form also.

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if the 3rd man up tactic isn't outlawed then Minson and players like him will be out of football very quickly.
    There's just no spot for a big lumbering ruckman that uses his body instead of his leap. So many times on the weekend Will and Martin just stood there both expecting a 3rd man from both sides to contest the ruck. It's ugly IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's worth noting that whilst the results from Minson and Roughy weren't that impressive, they were able to neutralise Stef Martin totally, who is one of the best ruckmen in the game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think it's worth noting that whilst the results from Minson and Roughy weren't that impressive, they were able to neutralise Stef Martin totally, who is one of the best ruckmen in the game.
    It's interesting you say that when Martin registered more hitouts and disposals than those two combined, and we only won two more centre clearances, one more stoppage and three more general clearances in a 72 point win - with Martin being named in Brisbane's best players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's interesting you say that when Martin registered more hitouts and disposals than those two combined, and we only won two more centre clearances, one more stoppage and three more general clearances in a 72 point win - with Martin being named in Brisbane's best players.
    I thought Martin clearly had the better of our guys.

Interesting at the game my thought was how much better we would be with Martin playing for us.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured