Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 7 of 90 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's interesting you say that when Martin registered more hitouts and disposals than those two combined, and we only won two more centre clearances, one more stoppage and three more general clearances in a 72 point win - with Martin being named in Brisbane's best players.
    It's how much I rate him; second lowest disposals for the season and had his influence around the ground, where he does most of his damage, curbed.

I think that he was the best big man, but not by as much as he regularly is. And if McCartney taught us anything, it's that clearances are a false economy.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It's how much I rate him; second lowest disposals for the season and had his influence around the ground, where he does most of his damage, curbed.

I think that he was the best big man, but not by as much as he regularly is. And if McCartney taught us anything, it's that clearances are a false economy.
    Unless Ayce Cordy is rucking at them. Then they mean everything.

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless Ayce Cordy is rucking at them. Then they mean everything.
    When we're losing the hit outs decisively, giving silver service to the opposition midfielders and scraps to ours it becomes an issue. The numbers aren't the most important thing, it's how effective the ruckman is at giving the mids easy clearances.

When Cordy rucked the opposition ruckmen dominated in the ruck. They don't do that to Roughead who provides at least as much as Cordy around the ground

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    When we're losing the hit outs decisively, giving silver service to the opposition midfielders and scraps to ours it becomes an issue. The numbers aren't the most important thing, it's how effective the ruckman is at giving the mids easy clearances.

When Cordy rucked the opposition ruckmen dominated in the ruck. They don't do that to Roughead who provides at least as much as Cordy around the ground
    Agree that it was an issue against Fremantle, though we were going up against the best centre duo in the league with Ayce alone which was always going to end badly. It's moot, though I wonder how much better Roughead would have fared against them.

I'd like to see a quality of clearance stat. What I can access doesn't go beyond the raw numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting you say that when Martin registered more hitouts and disposals than those two combined, and we only won two more centre clearances, one more stoppage and three more general clearances in a 72 point win - with Martin being named in Brisbane's best players.
    It's a good point you make. Stef Martin is one of the best ruckmen going around, but mostly because of his impact around the ground. As recently as last year, for Minson to have been bested so convincingly by Martin at the taps would have come as a big surprise. The Minson-Roughead combination worked brilliantly in their first outing together but since their effectiveness has fallen away dramatically.

I still really like Roughead as a ruckman, but think that he should be given the number one ruck role if that's where he's going to play.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that it was an issue against Fremantle, though we were going up against the best centre duo in the league with Ayce alone which was always going to end badly. It's moot, though I wonder how much better Roughead would have fared against them.

I'd like to see a quality of clearance stat. What I can access doesn't go beyond the raw numbers.
    I like Cordy. Unfortunately whe he rucked it just felt like the opposition had the first opportunity to win every clearance. That was the case (for me) against Adelaide and Sydney and possibly other teams I've forgotten about because we lost

Post Thanks / Like

I like Cordy.
    Why? Please explain.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Why? Please explain.
    I just want him to succeed. Maybe because he was a high draft pick, maybe because he had back luck with injuries early. Like Grant I just wanted to see him do well. Unfortunatly after watching him get some games this year I've pretty much given up on him.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want him to succeed. Maybe because he was a high draft pick, maybe because he had back luck with injuries early. Like Grant I just wanted to see him do well. Unfortunatly after watching him get some games this year I've pretty much given up on him.
    My sentiments exactly hujsh. As time went on, I was just hoping there would be a big break out game and he would go from strength to strength. Sadly it didnt eventuate.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Cordy get the bronx cheers two weeks ago when we played williamstown? He took a grab in the centre and it sounded as if he got them, wasnt to sure as i was on the opposite wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    It's a good point you make. Stef Martin is one of the best ruckmen going around, but mostly because of his impact around the ground. As recently as last year, for Minson to have been bested so convincingly by Martin at the taps would have come as a big surprise. The Minson-Roughead combination worked brilliantly in their first outing together but since their effectiveness has fallen away dramatically.

I still really like Roughead as a ruckman, but think that he should be given the number one ruck role if that's where he's going to play.
    He started last week's game in the centre square.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FootscrayFan View Post
    Did Cordy get the bronx cheers two weeks ago when we played williamstown? He took a grab in the centre and it sounded as if he got them, wasnt to sure as i was on the opposite wing.
    Not that I heard.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Not that I heard.
    Could you imagine how amazing it would have been if it did happen though?

They would have really shown Ayce that day. They'd be telling that story for years.

15. Likes Bulldog4life, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listening to the proposal to get rid of the Rookie list I agree. But there's a problem with the late development of big man, particularly ruckmen. Would there be any sense in having an allowance of two or three develop talls at each club? It could be outside tge salary cap because they only ever play seconds but they have a development program with the senior group and they are bound to be promoted to the senior list when their performances and fitness dictates.

I know clubs want to have one list that they can choose from but these guys wouldn't really be available for selection per se. Only after they are fully developed and ready to play are they promoted full time.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Last time we played the Saints Longer won 37 HO's and a handful of touches versus Cordy's 16 as the sole ruck, whilst he earned 18 touches.

This time around we had two rucks who between them levelled Longer's HO's and beat his 11 disposals by a whopping five.

I look forward to the hysterical nature of our commentary around our ruck situation this week, considering two up this time around for us didn't seem to do any better than the worst ruck we have on our list right now.