Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 84 of 90 FirstFirst ... 347475767778798081828384858687888990 LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1343

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Bevo rates ruckman, but a certain type of ruckman, ie one that just doesn't only win tapouts.

Tim currently sitting on 6th, for Hitouts to advantage, only 2 off 2nd place. Witts blitzing the field.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bevo rates ruckman, but a certain type of ruckman, ie one that just doesn't only win tapouts.

Tim currently sitting on 6th, for Hitouts to advantage, only 2 off 2nd place. Witts blitzing the field.
    Bevo clearly doesn't rate pure ruckman and it has been clear since 2015.

Bevo demands that the player he utilises to contest hitouts be capable of contributing after the ruck contest.

He has given English a long time to learn some ruck craft because he can contribute.

He has never been forgiving of the player who could win/halve ruck contests and not produce in other areas.

So rating ruckmen is limited to rating his specific ruck type. If he actually rated ruckmen he would have played Sweet ahead of Lewis Young in 2021.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes GVGjr, bulldogtragic, azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo’s ideal ruckman is English and now it?s bearing fruit in terms of Timmy going well individually. Unfortunately we?ve sacrificed a number of seasons seeing it through and we now don?t really have the midfield to compliment his strengths.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, JanLorMill, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bevo’s ideal ruckman is English and now it?s bearing fruit in terms of Timmy going well individually. Unfortunately we?ve sacrificed a number of seasons seeing it through and we now don?t really have the midfield to compliment his strengths.
    Agree.

If you look at our list and how we have recruited it's clear that Bevo's idea of what a skills and attributes a ruckman should have isn't readily available so his solution is to simply go without rather than find some middle ground. That is a poor outcome for the club and a very risky approach each season. We shouldn't have been throwing the likes of Young, Gardner, Dunkley and Khamis into ruck duties because he is being stubborn and completely inflexible on the ruck role.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Can we say Bevo has a type with any conviction on why we dont recruit or trade for rucks? It seems like he is chasing ruck unicorns.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo wants a Gawn/Dean Cox/ Luke Jackson/Natanui type.

Dean Cox was originally a mid who had an incredible growth spurt
    Luke Jackson and Natanui are freakesh athletes.

Tall players who are atheletic , can run all day, agile , and a good mark . Ruck/mid , who can run back to the back line to protect the ball drop. Even when they are available, they are prone to injury.

Honestly these ruck types are 1/100 ruckman.

Hence why Minson had limited games in 2016, eventhough he dominated in the VFL .

What I don't understand is why are we not try get a Nankervis/Hikey/McInernerny(Brisbane) type ? They are doing their jobs, maybe Syd/Richmond they have different requirement for what is ruckman.

Even Darcy Fort is starting to settle himself into the Brisbane side.

Its a shame the game cannot accommodate the 195cm type ruckman who are agile, atheletic with good skills. We had one in Wayde Skipper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    What I don't understand is why are we not try get a Nankervis/Hikey/McInernerny(Brisbane) type ? They are doing their jobs, maybe Syd/Richmond they have different requirement for what is ruckman.

We tried to get Soldo from Richmond a couple of years back but that didn't come off.

For years we tried to lure Stef Martin - when he finally came it was too late.

I'd love Nankervis or a Ben Hudson type. Hunt the footy, hurt the opponent. Sean Darcy would look good in our jumper.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a really curious time for this debate to restart up. Tim’s been easily our best player (and the best ruck in the AFL) this season.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    We tried to get Soldo from Richmond a couple of years back but that didn't come off.

For years we tried to lure Stef Martin - when he finally came it was too late.

I'd love Nankervis or a Ben Hudson type. Hunt the footy, hurt the opponent. Sean Darcy would look good in our jumper.
    Is there any one in the VFL that has potential ?

McInerny was recruited from the VFL and onto Brisbane's rookie list .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This is a really curious time for this debate to restart up. Tim’s been easily our best player (and the best ruck in the AFL) this season.
    Are you new to the internet?

Team performance has been below average. Midfield is getting smashed defensively and English is a big part of it.

On Thursday night some of his efforts in the first half were bizarre. He was easily pushed off the ball during boundary throw in's and some marking contests.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Only because on AFL360 last night, Bevo said, "Some people think I don't rate rucks"

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Are you new to the internet?

Team performance has been below average. Midfield is getting smashed defensively and English is a big part of it.

On Thursday night some of his efforts in the first half were bizarre. He was easily pushed off the ball during boundary throw in's and some marking contests.
    Come on Aza, you have to admit he has been playing well. We can find faults for all players.

Player rankings comparing Rucks:

• No. 1 for Disposals
    • No.1 for Marks
    • equal 3rd for tackles
    • 8th for hitouts
    • 1 hitout less for equal 2nd
    • 5th for inside 50s
    • equal 2nd for Cont.Poss (1 off first)
    • equal 2nd for Cont. Marks (1 off 1st)
    • 6th for clearances - 4th for stoppage Clr.
    • Number 1 for intercepts

Hopefully he continues in great form

17. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only because on AFL360 last night, Bevo said, "Some people think I don't rate rucks"
    In recent years we drafted Sweet and traded for Martin and let our ruck stocks get to the lowest point. He might need to have a bit more give with his shopping list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    In recent years we drafted Sweet and traded for Martin and let our ruck stocks get to the lowest point. He might need to have a bit more give with his shopping list.
    We have also brought in Lobb for the 2nd ruck role, plus we drafted Darcy.

Post Thanks / Like

We have also brought in Lobb for the 2nd ruck role
    Power was adamant that we added Lobb to play alongside of Naughton so as you say he is a back up option but not a ruck man.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"