Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  506
Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Ruck Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well Ruck Me.

Next year I would like to see Boyd and Redpath together in the same side. Whether they share ruck duties is another question. Maybe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am not convinced that he will offer the value as a KPF that he could provide as a ruckman.

If we had Goldstein would we play him forward or Ruck. A mobile tall who can handle the ruck (such as Stefan Martin) also adds to the midfield. I see Boyd as being better able to cover the ground and contribute in those marking contests.

I actually like the way Redpath is tracking (another unpopular view), as he provides a strong presence and he can actually kick it.
    As his confidence develops I expect him to get better.
    In all fairness to Boyd its a pretty narrow sample size that we have to work with. He is 19 and played 9 games with GWS and not many more for us. I fail to see how you or anyone for that matter could assume at this stage of his career that he has the potential to be a better ruck than forward. He has shown at a junior level against the best defenders that he was, not only the best forward in the land, but the best player in the land.

Tom Boyd will be a gun forward and we need to draft / trade astutely to a) get the type of ruckman we need into the club and b) do this as soon as possible so the Tom Boyd to the ruck paradigm is extinguished as rapidly as it flared up.

We need to go hard, hard, hard at Stefan Martin.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl...-1227524836861
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Next year I would like to see Boyd and Redpath together in the same side. Whether they share ruck duties is another question. Maybe
    I think the best chance of that happening is if Roughy is our 1st ruck. It would then give us the flexibility of playing an extra defender or forward and putting the other one in the ruck.

Redpath and Tom Boyd will both have to improve a fair bit for them to play in the same side as a preference. I think Stringer and Crameri offer us the flexibility to go taller/smaller depending on quality and at the moment, our smalls are better than our talls.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if Redpath can improve his fitness a bit more he might be ok as CHF and give an option further up field.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think the best chance of that happening is if Roughy is our 1st ruck. It would then give us the flexibility of playing an extra defender or forward and putting the other one in the ruck.

Redpath and Tom Boyd will both have to improve a fair bit for them to play in the same side as a preference. I think Stringer and Crameri offer us the flexibility to go taller/smaller depending on quality and at the moment, our smalls are better than our talls.
    Good points. Maybe the Club might try both in the pre season together. Nothing to lose that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points. Maybe the Club might try both in the pre season together. Nothing to lose that way.
    Yeah we did in the last pre-season and Round 1. A lot also has to do with the quality running depth offer. Next year we get Libba and Stevens back. I also see McLean and Daniel becoming regulars in their second year. We already have to fit in an army of HB runners as well. Added quality in running depth will put a higher value on that 22nd spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yeah we did in the last pre-season and Round 1. A lot also has to do with the quality running depth offer. Next year we get Libba and Stevens back. I also see McLean and Daniel becoming regulars in their second year. We already have to fit in an army of HB runners as well. Added quality in running depth will put a higher value on that 22nd spot.
    Also be interesting to see what happens with the reduced interchangers and with the sub disappearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Also be interesting to see what happens with the reduced interchangers and with the sub disappearing.
    Players will have to spend more time on the ground - will a pure first ruck still be effective or do we go for someone less effective at stoppages, better around the ground and reduce their no 1 ruck role to 70%?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Would or should we try to squeeze another year or two out of David Hale if he came to us a delisted free agent?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Would or should we try to squeeze another year or two out of David Hale if he came to us a delisted free agent?
    Isnt he choosing to retire?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Isnt he choosing to retire?
    Ben Hudson chose to retire twice. Offering a contract can change minds.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

No he's cooked

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Ayce gone.
    Campbell & Minson still here, but did very little this season.
    Roughy allegedly training as a ruckman.

No trades in, and no free agent rucks.

Surely we need a primary list ruck and a rookie list ruck at the drafts. Any suggestions as to a kid or state leaguer etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Ayce gone.
    Campbell & Minson still here, but did very little this season.
    Roughy allegedly training as a ruckman.

No trades in, and no free agent rucks.

Surely we need a primary list ruck and a rookie list ruck at the drafts. Any suggestions as to a kid or state leaguer etc?
    Ayce back on the rookie list?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    Ayce back on the rookie list?
    Please no.

We know he isn't up to it. Lets take a chance on someone who might be.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

17. Likes always right liked this post