Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    There's a very entertaining thread about him on Bomberblitz that starts with a huge circle jerk about how good he was and how we'd be spewing that we gave him up. It peaks around May 2019 when they are pretty much calling for him to be appointed captain coach.

One poster points out that he seems to be a bit on the largish side for a supposed professional sportsperson but the next few posts are alll saying "nahhhh. That massive gut helps him in marking contests". Then it's all "Jakey will kick five this week" "actually it will be this week for sure" "oops, got that wrong. But this week he'll kick ten" "oh bugger. He's pinged his hamstring..."
    That is funny.

Article on Foxfooty website sums him up better:

Since joining the Bombers, the 27-year-old has struggled to replicate his career-best form from the 2015 season, which saw him kick 56 goals from 23 games and earn All-Australian selection.

After kicking 30 goals in his first season at his new club then 33 in 2019, Stringer struggled to get on the park in 2020.

He had a promising start to his 2021 season, kicking 12 goals from his first five games before suffering a hamstring injury against the Giants on the weekend that will sideline him for up to four weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any chance we can lure Joel back with a promise of the best medicos we can get our hands on?

PREMIERSHIP defender Joel Hamling could miss the rest of the season but Fremantle veteran Stephen Hill is on track to make his long-awaited playing return next week.

Hamling hasn't played since seriously damaging his left ankle in the Dockers' round one loss to Melbourne.

It was the same ankle Hamling dislocated last year, with that injury resulting in him undergoing two separate surgeries and missing the entire 2020 campaign.

Hamling's progress from his latest injury has been slow, with no timeline set on the return of the former Western Bulldogs ace.

Dockers coach Justin Longmuir said there was a chance Hamling might not play again this year.

"There's always a chance," Longmuir said.

"We hope that's not the case. But it's not progressing the way we want it to progress.

"I can't sit here and give a definitive time. He's got to progress his training over the next month and then we'll assess it from there."
    Link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Any chance we can lure Joel back with a promise of the best medicos we can get our hands on?

Link
    Too injury prone now sadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Link
    I'm still *!*!*!*!ing annoyed that we let him go. Not putting every obstacle in his way and trying every solution to the issue with his dad was one of the worst decisions we ever made.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still *!*!*!*!ing annoyed that we let him go. Not putting every obstacle in his way and trying every solution to the issue with his dad was one of the worst decisions we ever made.
    He was out of contract and really wanted to play with his best mate who left Geelong to go to Freo at the same time. Not sure we have much of a hand to play when he’s out of contract. If it’s any consolation, his mate walked out of Freo, his high profile coach got sacked, they’ve underperformed on field and his body seems to have been mismanaged. He might be very regretful of his choice.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He was out of contract and really wanted to play with his best mate who left Geelong to go to Freo at the same time. Not sure we have much of a hand to play when he’s out of contract. If it’s any consolation, his mate walked out of Freo, his high profile coach got sacked, they’ve underperformed on field and his body seems to have been mismanaged. He might be very regretful of his choice.
    Thanks but if he regrets his decision then the futility of it just annoys me even more. We'll never get those prime years of a decent key defender (which is something that we desperately needed) back. I love him for the final series he gave us, who else could have done a job on Cyril Rioli and Buddy Franklin, but I would have loved the following 4 or 5 years to follow it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but if he regrets his decision then the futility of it just annoys me even more. We'll never get those prime years of a decent key defender (which is something that we desperately needed) back. I love him for the final series he gave us, who else could have done a job on Cyril Rioli and Buddy Franklin, but I would have loved the following 4 or 5 years to follow it up.
    You and me both. But when he walks out that’s on him. Not even a premiership and presumably a fair pay rise could keep him. I can’t fault the club. But players leave, players come in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Stringer's performance against Richmond tonight should put paid to any more discussion around "would we have him back?"

He kicked one goal and celebrated as if he had won the game. Then, when he had the chance to put his side two kicks up, his snap under not too much pressure, missed everything.

He was a non contributor for 97.25% of the game.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I think Stringer's performance against Richmond tonight should put paid to any more discussion around "would we have him back?"

He kicked one goal and celebrated as if he had won the game. Then, when he had the chance to put his side two kicks up, his snap under not too much pressure, missed everything.

He was a non contributor for 97.25% of the game.
    He got his usual 13 disposals. He is an average footballer at best.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You and me both. But when he walks out that’s on him. Not even a premiership and presumably a fair pay rise could keep him. I can’t fault the club. But players leave, players come in.
    Yeah fair point.

I know that I should just let it go because it's done and over with. It's not like Stringer, Dalhaus or Roughhead overly bother me But for some reason I have trouble moving on with this one.

14. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah fair point.

I know that I should just let it go because it's done and over with. It's not like Stringer, Dalhaus or Roughhead overly bother me But for some reason I have trouble moving on with this one.
    Yes, this is a particular bugbear of yours that I've found fascinating over the years. Geography, compassion, logistics and other well reasoned factors explained and openly acknowledged by you haven't seemed to have turned you around on it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yes, this is a particular bugbear of yours that I've found fascinating over the years. Geography, compassion, logistics and other well reasoned factors explained and openly acknowledged by you haven't seemed to have turned you around on it.
    I think it's because it was the first crack n the premiership team and the fact we let a premiership key defender who could play on falls and smalls for a relatively minor draft pick that annoys me the most.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12 years
    4 delistings
    4,671 days
    100 games this week, 10 with us
    93 Years - Longest wait to get to 100

Congrats Sam Reid.

Post Thanks / Like

12 years
    4 delistings
    4,671 days

Congrats Sam Reid.
    That's some kind of royalty.

He's a good fella, Sam so good on him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

12 years
    4 delistings
    4,671 days

Congrats Sam Reid.
    I think it's time to revive the Eker thread. That's Hall of Fame levels.