Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Was it a post about an ex-player posted here by mistake?
    nah, covid stuff.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ex-Dog to train with Blues

Former Western Bulldogs midfielder Will Hayes is reportedly set to train with Carlton's throughout the pre-season after joining the Blues' reserves for 2022.

Hayes was cut by the Dogs in October, with forward Ben Cavarra joining the 26-year-old in not being offered a new deal for the upcoming season.

His second delisting in the space of 12 months, Hayes looks set to continue his fight for a career lifeline, having signed with Carlton's VFL side.

The Euroa product has also taken on managing the Flemington stable for brothers Ben and JD since having his AFL tenure brought to a halt, and is the son of racehorse trainer David Hayes.

"I'm hoping that the dream isn't done yet and a pre-season does come my way, but I'm fortunate to have a great industry to go into afterwards. And that's racing. So, I see it as a win-win," Hayes told RSN last year.

"I've been around the stables since I was a little fella so that makes it second nature."

According to 7 News' Mitch Cleary, Carlton are understood to have offered Hayes the opportunity to train under the club's AFL pre-season program ahead of the 2022 season.

The Blues are already hosting Jason Cripps, the young brother Carlton co-captain Patrick, and Eastern Ranges product Tyreece Leiu, who are both battling for the last remaining list spot this summer.

Hayes played 11 matches for the Bulldogs across three seasons at the Kennel, making his debut against the Blues in Round 5 of the 2019 season.

The 181cm onballer played a further eight matches that year before playing just the further two games in 2020 and none last year.

Hayes is set to join former Essendon forward Ned Cahill in linking up at Ikon Park for the 2022 season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Ex-Dog to train with Blues

Former Western Bulldogs midfielder Will Hayes is reportedly set to train with Carlton's throughout the pre-season after joining the Blues' reserves for 2022.

Hayes was cut by the Dogs in October, with forward Ben Cavarra joining the 26-year-old in not being offered a new deal for the upcoming season.

His second delisting in the space of 12 months, Hayes looks set to continue his fight for a career lifeline, having signed with Carlton's VFL side.

The Euroa product has also taken on managing the Flemington stable for brothers Ben and JD since having his AFL tenure brought to a halt, and is the son of racehorse trainer David Hayes.

"I'm hoping that the dream isn't done yet and a pre-season does come my way, but I'm fortunate to have a great industry to go into afterwards. And that's racing. So, I see it as a win-win," Hayes told RSN last year.

"I've been around the stables since I was a little fella so that makes it second nature."

According to 7 News' Mitch Cleary, Carlton are understood to have offered Hayes the opportunity to train under the club's AFL pre-season program ahead of the 2022 season.

The Blues are already hosting Jason Cripps, the young brother Carlton co-captain Patrick, and Eastern Ranges product Tyreece Leiu, who are both battling for the last remaining list spot this summer.

Hayes played 11 matches for the Bulldogs across three seasons at the Kennel, making his debut against the Blues in Round 5 of the 2019 season.

The 181cm onballer played a further eight matches that year before playing just the further two games in 2020 and none last year.

Hayes is set to join former Essendon forward Ned Cahill in linking up at Ikon Park for the 2022 season.
    Good luck to him - strikes me as a type who really will battle for every opportunity, and is clearly a nice guy to go with it. Not sure that there is a real future for him at AFL level though.

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As reported Jesse Glass-McCasker has signed with Carlton VFL but he is also now in the running for the final list spot at Carlton more as KPD cover rather than forward.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to find the article but did anyone see the struggles Jamison Daniels went through after his time with us?
    Sad to read.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I need to find the article but did anyone see the struggles Jamison Daniels went through after his time with us?
    Sad to read.
    Yes I read the article. It really highlights the different experience for those who are on the fringes of an AFL career. It must be a constant state of stress, not knowing if you're going to get a contract, struggling on a very small income as a rookie, with the threat of it all ending just always hanging over your shoulder.
    That's not to dismiss that being a highly touted player also comes with its own set of pressures. It just shows that there is no one homogeneous AFL experience.

9. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Yes I read the article. It really highlights the different experience for those who are on the fringes of an AFL career. It must be a constant state of stress, not knowing if you're going to get a contract, struggling on a very small income as a rookie, with the threat of it all ending just always hanging over your shoulder.
    That's not to dismiss that being a highly touted player also comes with its own set of pressures. It just shows that there is no one homogeneous AFL experience.
    Only somewhat tangentially related but in the Danny Boyd podcast Tom has on multiple ocassions talked about how with the players union there should be a wider representation at the top. For example Dangerfield is the players rep there, but Boyd's point is that Dangerfields AFL experience is vastly different to the 70% of the players who are on less than $300k, and that without someone who shares their experience it is hard for their voice to be heard.
    Last edited by soupman; 21-01-2022 at 03:36 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Only somewhat tangentially related but in the Danny Boyd podcast Tom has on multiple ocassions talked about how with the players union there should be a wider representation at the top. For example Dangerfield is the players rep there, but Boyd's point is that Dangerfields AFL experience is vastly different to the 70$ of the players who are on less than $300k, and that without someone who shares their experience it is hard for their voice to be heard.
    That is a very good point. I wonder if Tom has tried to push that along a bit with the Association?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad to read.
    That was a tough read. Its tough being made redundant when you are in your 40's and 50's but have had the chance to build a career.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Interestingly enough, I was speaking to a relatively recently delisted rookie. I was asking him if the dream is over and he was really pragmatic, saying he's been training and preparing basically full time since he was 15. He decided it wasn't worth killing himself (metaphorically speaking) for a maybe maybe not proposition and was actually content now that it's over and he can actually turn his focus to what's next without the spectre of footy hanging over him.

I guess it's an individual viewpoint.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    That was a tough read. Its tough being made redundant when you are in your 40's and 50's but have had the chance to build a career.
    It scares the shit out of me that now in my early forties I'm on the precipice (if not over it) of being considered too old to be hired for a lot of jobs I'd be very well suited to. Considering politicians want to lift retirement age to 97 or something there's a long way to go on the journey!

Good insights from Daniels, though I can't believe it's been 14 years since he was drafted.........where does the time go?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Interestingly enough, I was speaking to a relatively recently delisted rookie. I was asking him if the dream is over and he was really pragmatic, saying he's been training and preparing basically full time since he was 15. He decided it wasn't worth killing himself (metaphorically speaking) for a maybe maybe not proposition and was actually content now that it's over and he can actually turn his focus to what's next without the spectre of footy hanging over him.

I guess it's an individual viewpoint.
    A lot of footballers have to go back to suburban leagues to learn to love the game again.
    Everythign you do on a field is scrutinised to the nth degree, perhaps unfairly.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It scares the shit out of me that now in my early forties I'm on the precipice (if not over it) of being considered too old to be hired for a lot of jobs I'd be very well suited to. Considering politicians want to lift retirement age to 97 or something there's a long way to go on the journey!

Good insights from Daniels, though I can't believe it's been 14 years since he was drafted.........where does the time go?
    Having worked in the employment provision field I can tell you that statistics show that most of us retrain and change the industry we work in a minimum of three times over our working life. It usually starts with a big change at around the age of 30 or after 10-12 years of working in the first job/field we start out in.

So don't worry. You won't be the first or last to person to find yourself staring into the abyss of a career change. In fact you'd be abnormal if you don't do it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the work but I've recently been part of the recruitment process for a couple of candidates around the 50yo range and they were successful in their applications.
    Their age just wasn't a consideration and I'll be honest it's always around the effort and ethic that candidates display in their interviews and how they perform in the roles more than any preconceived ideas about age.
    Having said that after 21 years at one company I made a move to another in my mid forties because I didn't want to be mid 50's and start looking around again. It ended up being a very positive move and experience.

Staying relevant with your skill level and embracing technology Ponyboy are the most important attributes for many people.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

20. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the work but I've recently been part of the recruitment process for a couple of candidates around the 50yo range and they were successful in their applications.
    Their age just wasn't a consideration and I'll be honest it's always around the effort and ethic that candidates display in their interviews and how they perform in the roles more than any preconceived ideas about age.
    Having said that after 21 years at one company I made a move to another in my mid forties because I didn't want to be mid 50's and start looking around again. It ended up being a very positive move and experience.

Staying relevant with your skill level and embracing technology Ponyboy are the most important attributes for many people.
    There's new nickname that I didn't see coming...........!

I agree that keeping up with technology and always developing your skills is important.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.