Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,154
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    They aren’t playing Griffin Logue either, who from what I’ve seen is pretty good and psychotically courageous. They’ve gone from having all their key defenders out to all of them available and have almost over-catered to the position as a result. So pretty much the complete opposite of us.

Logue and Hamling could be guys to keep in mind at year’s end when eyeing up potential targets.
    Jon Ralph has been reading Woof:

Victorian clubs searching for a lockdown key defender have made overtures to Fremantle top-10 pick Griffin Logue as he falls out of favour at the Dockers.

Logue is strongly favoured to move to a Melbourne-based club next year given he is out of contract and being chased hard by teams keen for a quality defensive stopper.

The Swan Districts defender played 16 games last year as he looked to have hit his straps after being taken by the Dockers at pick 8 in the 2016 national draft.

But he has played only three of a possible five games so far this year with Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan taking the key defensive position spots.

The 194cm tall ranks elite for one-on-one contests and is above average for intercept marks and kicking according to Champion Data stats.

Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond all need more defensive cover and one of them might consider a 24-year-old entering his peak.

Essendon continues to be savaged by the opposition’s best tall, with Michael Hurley still attempting a comeback but expected to retire at the end of the season.

Collingwood recruited Williamstown’s Charlie Dean but he has been struck down by a foot injury with Jordan Roughead providing excellent service but turning 32 in November.

The Dockers have roared up the AFL ladder after stockpiling a heap of exciting young kids, with captain Nathan Fyfe (back) expected to return before the mid-season bye.

There is still conjecture about whether key forward Rory Lobb will again ask for a trade at year’s end but at least he has played every game and kicked seven goals as a reliable forward target.
    Link

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if Essendon are interested then we’re no chance as Dodo is immortal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Well if Essendon are interested then we’re no chance as Dodo is immortal.
    Until he offers them a 4th rounder and Andrew Phillips. Ask Bobby Hill about Essendon's trade ability

TBH I think Logue and Pearce are their priority signings and if we wanted, we could prise Hamling back cheaply.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hamling's father sadly passed away after a long illness late last year, which I believe was one of the main reasons he returned to WA in the first place. However his partner is expecting their first child later in the year which may make him hesitant to move back to Melbourne. He is contracted until the end of 2023.

7. Thanks boydogs, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon Ralph is so predictable. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond aren't the only clubs looking for more defensive cover, all clubs are you peanut. Every single player that is a chance to move to Victoria is linked to these four clubs according to Ralph Malph.

9. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Jon Ralph is so predictable. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond aren't the only clubs looking for more defensive cover, all clubs are you peanut. Every single player that is a chance to move to Victoria is linked to these four clubs according to Ralph Malph.
    Nothing has changed with the media.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely North Melbourne are better odds to win the flag this year than Griffin Logue leaving his home state to come to Victoria!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Ralphy is just another of the 50,000 AFL media accreditated stenographers who probably earn $200k a year to write unverified garbage and also participate in shithouse late night post-game segments on Fox Footy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Surely North Melbourne are better odds to win the flag this year than Griffin Logue leaving his home state to come to Victoria!
    If he doesnt get selected over the course of the season it will absolutely be time for Logue to leave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    If he doesnt get selected over the course of the season it will absolutely be time for Logue to leave
    Logue is playing this week.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Logue is playing this week.
    That was quick - must have read BR's post
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes azabob, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Ralphy is just another of the 50,000 AFL media accreditated stenographers who probably earn $200k a year to write unverified garbage and also participate in shithouse late night post-game segments on Fox Footy.
    I'd bet he's on more than that TBH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'd bet he's on more than that TBH.
    I'd reckon so too. His newspaper work would be paying him between $150-$200k alone and then there's his TV and radio work on top of that. I think he'd be making closer to $500k PA than $200k.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'd reckon so too. His newspaper work would be paying him between $150-$200k alone and then there's his TV and radio work on top of that. I think he'd be making closer to $500k PA than $200k.
    Hmmm… dunno. I reckon the “exposure” makes us all think they’re on more than reality. But maybe I guess…

21. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A decent male headliner TV sports comments person takes in about $250K to $350K....so I assume Daisy Pearce is on about $150K give or take.

Ralph for his work at the HUN would be on less than you'd think, and would need to drag it up by his multi-platform profile. The HUN has a lower circulation than new internet based commenters like FriendlyJordies or The Betoota Advocate, it's just it gets left around in the lunch rooms of a lot of organisations much like The Australian and Sky News gets the airport consumption due to it being free in those spaces. They're both loss leaders exchanging profit for influence.

Saturation of the media landscape can be a bad thing, but I don't think in Australia it is because without it we wouldn't have the emerging commentators that we do, and it'd be all left up to Murdoch, the Ch9 owned Fairfax and The Coalition hobbled ABC to deliver content. And it's becoming clearer and clearer it can't be up to them to maintain journalistic integrity.

In the AFL context, again, it would be worse if the landscape wasn't as saturated as it is, because all we'd have is the syndicated output of the contracted networks, rags and radio stations. Saturation has given us The Mongrel Punt, The Roar and a few others who produce content without fear or favour of the AFL itself that drives a media controlling agenda.

Putting the likes of Ralph (and the other high profile "inner-sanctum" scribes - if you want to call them that) in the same boat as the independents is silly. We actually need the independents which make up a huge quotient of the landscape to exist otherwise the gutter and low cost crap we currently get from the majors would be significantly lower cost and much worse.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.