Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Footy Sucks when we suck.

It's stating the obvious, but I hate footy when we play bad.

I don't want to watch/listen to any of the post game stuff because I just don't want to hear the negativity...as for the pre-game predictions, well, I don't want to hear all the ways it's gonna break down (again).

Why was I looking forward to this again?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy Sucks when we suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I don't want to watch/listen to any of the post game stuff because I just don't want to hear the negativity...as for the pre-game predictions, well, I don't want to hear all the ways it's gonna break down (again).

Couldn't agree more.

The weekend was a nasty reminder of how much I'm increasingly disliking footy season. The off-season was great. Winning is the only cure.

Post Thanks / Like

agree. When the siren went I rushed out of the ground and didn't want to know what happened in other games or what the papers, Fox or anyone said. I didn't even want to come on this forum.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it's just me becoming disillusioned and disinterested in footy in general, but i've struggled to watch us play since 2021 i'd say. I'm more concerned it's due to the fact our game style currently is extremely tough to watch, and fairly constant negativity surrounding the team in the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    Not sure if it's just me becoming disillusioned and disinterested in footy in general, but i've struggled to watch us play since 2021 i'd say. I'm more concerned it's due to the fact our game style currently is extremely tough to watch, and fairly constant negativity surrounding the team in the media.
    The media in general are just insufferably negative. It definitely makes it harder to follow and get into the sport. It's obviously compounded by the fact that we're not much chop. Footy might be more palatable if it weren't for the media even if we were losing. But we'll never know.

I think a lot of us can handle the losing for a period of time so long as there's hope and a glimpse of improvement. What most frustrating right now is that we believe we have the cattle to contend or at least play finals, yet we show no signs of improvement and continue to trot out the same garbage year after year.

Dare I say it, it's starting to feel like the McCartney days except this time we actually have a decent list and are in our "window". Bevo gave us a breath of fresh air and a whole new lease of life. We're all craving that again. Where's it going to come from?

Post Thanks / Like

The media cycle and personalities of footy have killed my love of the game generally. I refuse to watch any of it other than our games, if it’s on when I’m out and I pay attention, it just frustrates me. The umpiring. The commentary. The language of the game. It just gives me the shits.

I hate watching us on TV.

I love going to the ground and watching with my family and friends. The noise and lights and fixture changes over the years have tried to stuff that up for me too.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

8. Likes jDogs, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    I wonder if our hope and expectations are greater than our reality.
    2015 was just magic as a season - I'd love to get some of that back.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto. I feel your pain. I love the game. When we win I want to be across everything. Watch every game. Ingest all the media. When we lose I want to hide in a non-AFL bunker and whine on WOOF. Ha. My default coping situation is to concentrate on things that I can control when we lose and throw myself into that. This week that has been running.

The best football feeling is winning on a Friday night and then absorbing everything football for the rest of the weekend.

11. Likes Boots, MrMahatma, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I'm a bit the opposite when it comes to hearing that some in the media say about our performances. I mean that I want to look past all the Naughton to CHB speculation as to me that isn't the reason why we lost and it's more of an opportunistic chance by some in the media to get back on their hobbyhorse.
    I'm searching for someone who can make sense of it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, nothing better than winning being at the game, feeling great about the team then getting into the car wanting to listen to the full radio recap of the game, watching 360 and On The Couch etc, lose, nothing, hate it all won't watch anything.

The feeling on Sunday after the game obviously watching on TV here in Brissy just felt so flat, it was as if it was the following week after our dismal performance v West Coast last game last season with the way we played, lack of structure and a leaky game style, the build up with the positives over pre season with the changes of coaches, full review, training at the club and not Sunshine's old VFL ground, new facilities etc everything was positive and building nicely, then bang! back to earth with a thud.

Now, leading up to the Suns who are playing well under their new coach who spanked us last season, this week at a ground that we have been spanked in recent times doesn't exactly excite me, will obviously still watch and support in hope but that positive mindset has taken a beating.

I'm actually holding in hope that Darcy plays, give us something to get excited about.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm a bit the opposite when it comes to hearing that some in the media say about our performances. I mean that I want to look past all the Naughton to CHB speculation as to me that isn't the reason why we lost and it's more of an opportunistic chance by some in the media to get back on their hobbyhorse.
    I'm searching for someone who can make sense of it.
    Yeah agree with all the talk on Naughton to CHB etc, our defenders should work out ok if our overall game was around a more team orientated defensive system, we won a Premiership with 2nd rate key defenders and Dale Morris, to me all the shifting this player here or there is really just a cop out for our loose game style.

16. Likes bornadog, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Now, leading up to the Suns who are playing well under their new coach who spanked us last season, this week at a ground that we have been spanked in recent times doesn't exactly excite me, will obviously still watch and support in hope but that positive mindset has taken a beating.
    You have an unusual definition of spanked. We lost to Gold Coast by 7 points in Darwin last year despite having more scoring shots. Our only 2 losses in the past 5 seasons (8 games) at Ballarat have been by 5 points and 1 point. If those are spankings what was Sunday?

18. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You have an unusual definition of spanked. We lost to Gold Coast by 7 points in Darwin last year despite having more scoring shots. Our only 2 losses in the past 5 seasons (8 games) at Ballarat have been by 5 points and 1 point. If those are spankings what was Sunday?
    One of those to new darlings GWS during their run to finals

Post Thanks / Like

I think the footy product sucks, even if the Dogs are winning. I haven't watched any TV show about football, listened to SEN, or listened to any podcast in many years. I watch games on mute. Every time I catch a bit of commentary of a game, it just reminds me why I watch on mute. It's so shit. I don't want to hear the opinions of any of those idiots, they are all shit to me.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the preseason reports from GVGjr, just factual stuff about what's been going on with our club in the offseason. I like to read the unbiased opinions of fellow supporters.

21. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jDogs View Post
    I think the footy product sucks, even if the Dogs are winning. I haven't watched any TV show about football, listened to SEN, or listened to any podcast in many years. I watch games on mute. Every time I catch a bit of commentary of a game, it just reminds me why I watch on mute. It's so shit. I don't want to hear the opinions of any of those idiots, they are all shit to me.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the preseason reports from GVGjr, just factual stuff about what's been going on with our club in the offseason. I like to read the unbiased opinions of fellow supporters.
    AFL are ruining the game
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.