Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,159
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

I'd be happy to shake his hand too.

Whatever his name was?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I've moved on. He copped his whack the year after he left but I really blame McCarthy more than anything.
    Would have been nice to explain his side of the story on hwy he left, it was a good article but the most interesting part of his story was very quickly glossed over.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

This made me sad. It's one of the great unanswered questions, isn't it? if he'd stayed, would he have become a premiership player too, or did we need that whole cascade of events which started from his defection and ultimately delivered the flag?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    This made me sad. It's one of the great unanswered questions, isn't it? if he'd stayed, would he have become a premiership player too, or did we need that whole cascade of events which started from his defection and ultimately delivered the flag?

I don't think we would have won the flag if Griffin stays. If Griff stays then Macartney would have been still coach and with all due respect to Bmac he wasn't going to be coaching any premiership teams as a senior coach. Things worked out perfectly with a Griff going, it gave us (the true) Norm Smith medallist in Tom Boyd and we appointed the correct coach.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most of us are able to forgive Griff knowing we won a flag because of the decision he made.

But in the cruel horrible parallel universe where GWS beat us in the prelim and win the flag, would we still feel the same way? I think not

Post Thanks / Like

It's easy to be magnanimous in victory, so while he's still a spineless turd, I really don't anything him anymore.

I don't miss him, I don't remember him, I don't wonder if we'd still have won if he stayed, and I didn't notice the nothing career he had after leaving. He's a bit like Lance Armstrong's 7 yellow jerseys, he won them, they exist, but they don't really mean anything.

Contrast him with others and it's completely different-

I think Lake is a dickhead but I still think of him as a club champion who was one of the best players I've ever seen.

I think of Cooney as pathetic, he was a player who was tragically robbed of his best years, but who also represented the worst of the selfish culture that had reigned for so long at the club. He now tries to compensate for the club improving after he left by trying to pretending he's an Essendon legend who played an integral part in a dominant era and who's walls are adorned with his photos. I feel a bit sorry for him because he tried to re-invent himself into something no one wants and he's left with nothing.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's easy to be magnanimous in victory, so while he's still a spineless turd, I really don't anything him anymore.

I don't miss him, I don't remember him, I don't wonder if we'd still have won if he stayed, and I didn't notice the nothing career he had after leaving. He's a bit like Lance Armstrong's 7 yellow jerseys, he won them, they exist, but they don't really mean anything.

Contrast him with others and it's completely different-

I think Lake is a dickhead but I still think of him as a club champion who was one of the best players I've ever seen.

I think of Cooney as pathetic, he was a player who was tragically robbed of his best years, but who also represented the worst of the selfish culture that had reigned for so long at the club. He now tries to compensate for the club improving after he left by trying to pretending he's an Essendon legend who played an integral part in a dominant era and who's walls are adorned with his photos. I feel a bit sorry for him because he tried to re-invent himself into something no one wants and he's left with nothing.
    Bit harsh on Coon I reckon. Could’ve no doubt moved to a bigger team earlier but stuck with us. He moved to Ess to extend his career and earnings.

I’ve got no beef with Coon. He wasn’t perfect but at his peak was a joy to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think most of us are able to forgive Griff knowing we won a flag because of the decision he made.

But in the cruel horrible parallel universe where GWS beat us in the prelim and win the flag, would we still feel the same way? I think not
    Do. Not. Go. There.

That would have seemed the continuation of all those malign fates we’ve suffered over the years. I’d better breathe into a paper bag while heading to the couch to re-watch the actual outcome.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes Daughter of the West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Do. Not. Go. There.

That would have seemed the continuation of all those malign fates we’ve suffered over the years. I’d better breathe into a paper bag while heading to the couch to re-watch the actual outcome.
    Yeah sorry about that.

Here, hope this makes you feel better

https://youtu.be/JT0DqIzr8IQ

13. Likes The bulldog tragician, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Bit harsh on Coon I reckon. Could’ve no doubt moved to a bigger team earlier but stuck with us. He moved to Ess to extend his career and earnings.

I’ve got no beef with Coon. He wasn’t perfect but at his peak was a joy to watch.
    I have no beef with any of our players and in a way I feel a bit sorry for Cooney because coaches often let his distracted attitude slide because of his talent in fact apparently one even had him in the mix to captain the side. At the Players Sponsors night Cooney was on a panel being interviewed and just about spent more time texting on his phone than listening to the questions he was being asked.
    In any measure other than talent he wasn't even close to being a captain.
    He also just wasn't mature enough to maximise his chances of reaching anywhere near his ability. He should however, not be critical of the club that stuck with him and I think he is a bit shitty that he wasn't part of our flag performance

Griffen had a meltdown and made the wrong decision, Ward was stuck in the middle of a very poorly managed effort by the club.

I was a bit annoyed with Nathan Brown who led us all to think he was signing on and that he would follow Darcy's lead but when Luke signed on Brown still departed.

The players who have annoyed me the most have been the ones that talked themselves up and others down and yet failed to deliver.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What is it with ex-Bulldog players being upset about us booing the plastics generally and specifically? First Leon Cameron, now Gryphone. It's actually kind of nice to know we folk attending these games are being heard by them.
    Because they're used to the noise of a golf crowd while someone is on the green putting.

Meh. He's a nothing to me, I don't even think of him as a Bulldog or even an ex Bulldog, it seems odd seeing him in our colours so that's how far removed I am from him. Best thing he did for us was put his tail between his legs, run and help us net Tom Boyd. We'd have no flag with him here.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn't written by the former captain who walked out on us, that would be a good read. But his words are so hollow and meaningless. I feel like editing it - "The Bulldogs meant everything to me but I walked out on them whilst captain anyway. I'm more important than all of them... you don't do what he did to a club that means something to you...

"I know it seemed on the outside that it was a bit of a weird departure, but hey, captains walk out on their clubs all the time. No big deal"...

I hold grudges, and what he did I cannot forgive. Even knowing what was to follow, I lost all respect for him when he bailed. I wish him no harm, but I am thrilled that his career fizzled out and amounted to nothing.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

19. Likes chef, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't hold a grudge against Ryan. It sucked when he left, but it worked out well for us. It was also the right decision for him. At his best I enjoyed watching him play and carry our side through some dark periods.

21. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah sorry about that.

Here, hope this makes you feel better

https://youtu.be/JT0DqIzr8IQ
    Certainly makes me feel good.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

23. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    If it wasn't written by the former captain who walked out on us, that would be a good read. But his words are so hollow and meaningless. I feel like editing it - "The Bulldogs meant everything to me but I walked out on them whilst captain anyway. I'm more important than all of them... you don't do what he did to a club that means something to you...

"I know it seemed on the outside that it was a bit of a weird departure, but hey, captains walk out on their clubs all the time. No big deal"...

I hold grudges, and what he did I cannot forgive. Even knowing what was to follow, I lost all respect for him when he bailed. I wish him no harm, but I am thrilled that his career fizzled out and amounted to nothing.
    I prefer the following version
    "The Bulldogs meant everything to me but I knew that something needed to happen to that coach, and my body was stuffed anyway. It allowed them to get something worthwhile in a player trade, while giving them a chance to get a real match day coach....
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured