Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
    Post Thanks / Like

The Monday Soapbox - Round 6

You know the drill, what do you want to get on your soapbox about?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soapbox - Round 6

Goal reviews.
    Our Jekyll and Hyde.
    Having to go back to work after 5 months of LSL, wanting to retire then hearing redundancy could be on the cards, so I am not throwing that away.
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes MrMahatma, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The amazing volunteer staff at Williamstown who helped my mum enjoy a day at the footy for her 87th.
    They even said we could go up behind the glass in the lift in we wanted.

She was happy at ground level.

For volunteers they were amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Goal reviews for goals scored. They’re killing the atmosphere of the game. If the call is a goal then let them review it as is meant to before the next CB. The Hawks game was farcical at times with reviews when goal was the soft signal/decision.

It’s like when wickets were getting held up in cricket to check no balls and the delivery was fine. It was killing the excitement. Now they let the third umpire quietly look at it and change it if necessary. It’s much better for blending technology and getting the right decision.

The AFEL need to get the system working as designed quickly before they kill what little of the game is fun and exciting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Goal reviews for goals scored. They?re killing the atmosphere of the game. If the call is a goal then let them review it as is meant to before the next CB. The Hawks game was farcical at times with reviews when goal was the soft signal/decision.

It?s like when wickets were getting held up in cricket to check no balls and the delivery was fine. It was killing the excitement. Now they let the third umpire quietly look at it and change it if necessary. It?s much better for blending technology and getting the right decision.

The AFEL need to get the system working as designed quickly before they kill what little of the game is fun and exciting.
    Agree 100% but it's all CoNtEnT for them, just like the Draper free kick controversy/Charlie Cameron good bloke tribunal defence, etc... The AFEL love that shit because their game drowns absolutely every other sport out of all available media.

City Hall works under the assumption that it's much better to be hated than to be ignored.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harley Reid was ridiculous, and so were North, both for different reasons.

Reading some comments from north fans hoping their kids don't barrack for north was just sad. One parent took his 5 year old to the game and said his kid has never heard the team song after a game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Reading some comments from north fans hoping their kids don't barrack for north was just sad. One parent took his 5 year old to the game and said his kid has never heard the team song after a game.
    I saw the highlights of Reid's game. He was incredible. Scary good.

I can't imagine what it's like for North supporters. To be bad for that long. Thankfully it's not us.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

They have won 1 of their last 27 games, and that win cost them Harley Reid. I've banged on about this the last couple of weeks but it is unfathomable what happened in R23 last year after we essentially gifted on a silver platter to North the best young player in years after our capitulation against West Coast the week before.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They have won 1 of their last 27 games, and that win cost them Harley Reid
    I thought Clarko would’ve been smarter than that. A pointless win to deny them picks 1 & 2 last year. You don’t have to tank, just pick a team that can’t win. I suspect this will be talked about for 15 years.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North are doing their kids no favours with this win now positioning they slot them into. Least of all because they aren’t winning now.

Yesterday Charlie Comben had 4 contested intercept marks behind the ball and is playing good football for the first time in his career, so obviously he was moved to full forward for 1 touch in the second half. What exactly would McKercher and Sheezel be getting out of being given 30 touches behind the ball, especially when they have huge needs in the areas that they’ll “play in eventually”.

I want to like North. They have a lot of cool pieces but their structure is dismal.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The amazing volunteer staff at Williamstown who helped my mum enjoy a day at the footy for her 87th.
    They even said we could go up behind the glass in the lift in we wanted.

She was happy at ground level.

For volunteers they were amazing.
    I can't believe those volunteers did that to your... oh wait... this is a positive soapbox... never mind.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

17. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chef was right, Harley Reid seems like a ripper of a kid. Just loves playing footy with his mates.

Such a special talent and clearly has had no trouble adjusting to AFL footy.

He may just snatch that rising star award from Darcy.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

19. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holding the ball, tribunals and accidental clashes- AFL have no idea
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.