Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Lewis Young playing ruck/forward for the blues tonight. Crazy vossy trying to copy crazy Bevo.
    How did he go?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young playing ruck/forward for the blues tonight. Crazy vossy trying to copy crazy Bevo.
    He left us for more opportunity in the backline
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He left us for more opportunity in the backline
    He started off in the backline and played ruck/ forward when Silvagni went off injured. He was ok but did some Lewy Young things - his 2nd efforts let him down. Wasn’t their worst and should keep his spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Only happened because of the Silvagni injury leaving De Konning against the Gawn and Grundy tandem.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Only happened because of the Silvagni injury
    If I was Silvagni I'd be pulling a Lewis Young and getting the hell out of there, family legacy or no.

Despite Happy Days' opinion of him, I think Silvagni is a reasonable player but making him play in the ruck stinks.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    If I was Silvagni I'd be pulling a Lewis Young and getting the hell out of there, family legacy or no.

Despite Happy Days' opinion of him, I think Silvagni is a reasonable player but making him play in the ruck stinks.
    we should be asking his manager if his exploring.

My bet is, Senior Silvagni has got his a shoe in.

Why would you want to stay in a crap Carlton team and not make finals...every year? Any player with talent on that list should be thinking of leaving

Their midfield is crap ( regardless of the players they have). they just don't perform and do not kick goals

They have half dozen players on huge contracts who don't perform: big forwards MacKAy( can't kick??), Curnow, deKoning ( what has he done? ). Those brought in Zac Williams, Jack Martin, Adam Saad and Adam Cerra who have done Nothing to improve their team.

Boyd look pretty good last night , ex Footscray player.

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t mind Saad although can only kick on one side. At least he takes game on.

I’m not a Carlton fan but think it’s sad to see Cripps I think in decline. Perhaps his body has had enough with his crash & bash style. Not sure the big money long term contract makes up for likely never playing in a GF.

MacKay can turn his goal kicking around if he gets his head in right spot. Used to be pretty reliable at least against us.

To my eye they are missing something around clearances even though Walsh & Cripps are good players. Also look a bit one paced (dare I say it, like we often appear to be).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Don’t mind Saad although can only kick on one side. At least he takes game on.

I’m not a Carlton fan but think it’s sad to see Cripps I think in decline. Perhaps his body has had enough with his crash & bash style. Not sure the big money long term contract makes up for likely never playing in a GF.

MacKay can turn his goal kicking around if he gets his head in right spot. Used to be pretty reliable at least against us.

To my eye they are missing something around clearances even though Walsh & Cripps are good players. Also look a bit one paced (dare I say it, like we often appear to be).
    He's 28, carried the club on his back and has never played a final, and will miss out again this year. That has to be a factor, consciously or not.

I'm comfortable with losing Lewis Young. He's a 'nice' player but I don't think he's the type you build around. You simply can't keep everybody when you're at the pointy end of the ladder.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few danger signs from the article

Voss is on edge here , he could lose the playera.. or maybe they just were never really that good?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...02-p5ddg1.html

It only takes drop off 1% and you lose that competitiveness

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, he is probably our version of Khamis in that he is capable of filling a few spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Only happened because of the Silvagni injury leaving De Konning against the Gawn and Grundy tandem.
    Ummm.

So you're basically saying Young had to ruck because Josh Dunkley got injured.

Right.

Watching the game, Carlton tried hard and I liked that Kemp guy. Carlton mids still no good though and simply no ability to generate run from the back half...I didn't think the Blues were terrible but it was a media contender vs a real contender and the result was pretty predictable. Important goal from Gawn in the last when everyone else was missing...did you see he slid in front of Grundie to take that mark?? You have to laugh...all the angst over McDonald, Brown, Weitering, Van Rooyen (now) Schache over the past few years...Gawn goes forward and kicks a key snag.

Maybe they had the answer all along??
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Ummm.

So you're basically saying Young had to ruck because Josh Dunkley got injured.

Right.

Watching the game, Carlton tried hard and I liked that Kemp guy. Carlton mids still no good though and simply no ability to generate run from the back half...I didn't think the Blues were terrible but it was a media contender vs a real contender and the result was pretty predictable. Important goal from Gawn in the last when everyone else was missing...did you see he slid in front of Grundie to take that mark?? You have to laugh...all the angst over McDonald, Brown, Weitering, Van Rooyen (now) Schache over the past few years...Gawn goes forward and kicks a key snag.

Maybe they had the answer all along??
    Well no.

With Pittonet out their plan was to run the risk of pitting De Koning against Grundy and Gawn with chop outs from Silvangi and for Lewis to cover Gawn and others whenever they were forward and until Silvagni got injured that's how it was being played.

After the injury they had to look for another option and that was to move Young into the ruck to assist.

I guess they could have moved McKay into the ruck but they wanted to keep the key pillars of the forward line together to try and kick that winning score.

Post Thanks / Like

Well no.

With Pittonet out their plan was to run the risk of pitting De Koning against Grundy and Gawn with chop outs from Silvangi and for Lewis to cover Gawn and others whenever they were forward and until Silvagni got injured that's how it was being played.
    LOL. So...YES??

They went in with a 1-2 of De Koning (playing the role of English) and Silvagni (playing the role of Dunkley)...and Silvagni (aka Dunkley) got injured. So Young went into the ruck.

I actually have no issue with Young playing ruck-forward as an aside.

The plan would have been the same the past couple of weeks as De Koning has been playing magoos.

Maybe it was never Bevo? Maybe it was Ash Hansen's strategy all along? Or maybe he just loves what Young brings as a forward and wants him up that end??

Either way, I was chuckling last night as it all unfolded. When BT suggested TDK would have to 'go it alone' only for Hodge to reply it would be a 'Big ASK'...was comedy central. Of course it was going to be a big ask...but it also could have been the making of the kid. Any danger someone has to fight it out for more than 5-seconds?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always liked the “look” of Silvagni but really can’t figure out where his best position would be. He doesn’t appear to have tank as a big-bodied mid. Maybe a Tom Stewart-type role? He definitely needs to find another home.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    LOL. So...YES??

They went in with a 1-2 of De Koning (playing the role of English) and Silvagni (playing the role of Dunkley)...and Silvagni (aka Dunkley) got injured. So Young went into the ruck.

I actually have no issue with Young playing ruck-forward as an aside.

The plan would have been the same the past couple of weeks as De Koning has been playing magoos.

Maybe it was never Bevo? Maybe it was Ash Hansen's strategy all along? Or maybe he just loves what Young brings as a forward and wants him up that end??

Either way, I was chuckling last night as it all unfolded. When BT suggested TDK would have to 'go it alone' only for Hodge to reply it would be a 'Big ASK'...was comedy central. Of course it was going to be a big ask...but it also could have been the making of the kid. Any danger someone has to fight it out for more than 5-seconds?
    I think I have two points of difference in this comparison.
    1) Silvagni is not a premium mid like Dunkley is and that he is seen by his club as a spare parts player that takes some runs in the ruck. He's more McLean in terms of genuine midfield minutes (non ruck time) than anything else and probably more of a Khamis in the way Carlton use him but at this point he is a better version of Khamis.

2) Had Pittonet been available Carlton would have gone in with TDK supporting him which would be a decent opposition against the Grundy Gawn combination. Young or Silvagni would have done little ruck work in that scenario and if an injury occurred Silvagni would have been the first choice assuming he was still selected.

Prior to Lobb arriving we often used Bruce and Dunks as chop out options and an injury to one of them probably would have resulted in Bontempelli or Naughton having a couple of runs which is the equivalent of Cripps being thrown into the ruck last night.

20. Likes macca liked this post