Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Surprise surprise and the answer is never.
    If you don't already live in the Albert Park electorate I wouldn't put it past you to move there just so you can vote against him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He considered making a move on the Bulldogs board a few times and of course never followed through.
    I'd be surprised if this is anything more than another headline grab.
    I think the difference here is that there is money to be made out of it.

That may sound snarky but it isnt meant to be, you erally get nothing out of being a board member at an AFL club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If you don't already live in the Albert Park electorate I wouldn't put it past you to move there just so you can vote against him.
    I have friends living in Albert Park and they have been to his restaurant.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Shaun Higgins charged with staging. $1,000 with an early plea.

I don’t know the exact details. But I imagine it was faking to lay a tackle or pretending to run both ways. Serious and expensive stuff.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I don’t know the exact details. But I imagine it was faking to lay a tackle or pretending to run both ways. Serious and expensive stuff.
    He got tackled into the ground landing on his shoulder. He then grabbed his head I suppose to try and milk a free.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He got tackled into the ground landing on his shoulder. He then grabbed his head I suppose to try and milk a free.
    That's exactly right.

I remember seeing it live thinking "hashtag just smoothe mover things".
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I think the difference here is that there is money to be made out of it.

That may sound snarky but it isnt meant to be, you erally get nothing out of being a board member at an AFL club.
    On the other hand it costs a fair bit to run a proper campaign. To do it right you need staff and an office, an advertising budget and you are going to spend a bit of time away from work. The party aren't going to front the money for that.

And he's not going to beat Foley in Albert Park, that's solid ALP territory. They got a swing of 10+ % at the 2018 election. I don't reckon that Dimma will nominate
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer a suspension. REALLY shame the fakers and the divers and the cheats and the sooks. We don't want a single strand of that DNA in Aussie rules football. It is a genuine plague in International soccer, so we need to lock down hard and immediately, and vaccinate against it infiltrating our beloved home grown sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    On the other hand it costs a fair bit to run a proper campaign. To do it right you need staff and an office, an advertising budget and you are going to spend a bit of time away from work. The party aren't going to front the money for that.

And he's not going to beat Foley in Albert Park, that's solid ALP territory. They got a swing of 10+ % at the 2018 election. I don't reckon that Dimma will nominate
    Needs a 13.14% swing. Maybe free media helps him, but Tex Perkins (The Cruel Sea) stood in the same seat in 2014 and got 4.4%. If that’s the known name factor in the seat, he’s going to need to replicate that plus get 8.7% on top. The LP don’t find campaigns at all now so he’s got to show how he will pay for everything. To mount a decent campaign of direct mail (letters and brochures), early vote mailers, coreflutes, booth wrap, A frames, shirts for staff, campaign room hire, after party, digital media, websites, consultants etc the cheapest he’d be getting away with would be $100,000 if he can get a lot of the above donated. Not to mention being away from his restaurant.

I’d find something else to do with my time, or pick a much closer seat. But I doubt the factional bosses are going to let him near Hawthorn or the Federal Seat of Casey with Tony Windsor to retire.

On a human note, if he feels powerless in this pandemic and that if speaking his mind publicly gives him some comfort, then I hope he feels better or less frustrated for doing so. I disagreed with him when he was making noises about trying to take our board over, but I wish him the best as a past player. If his son Kai who would be eligible for drafting this year was making the grade, he would have the outlet Luke Darcy has of something to really look forward to as a dad and proud bulldog.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Sedat, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Same, I've met Marcus and had the pleasure of a decent conversation re his life outside of football. Really nice fella.

Wish him all the best.
    Hope all goes well.

I remember reading a couple of years ago that his only sibling, an older brother, was coward punched, sustaining brain damage and is in a wheel chair.

He's definitely had his challenges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Hope all goes well.

I remember reading a couple of years ago that his only sibling, an older brother, was coward punched, sustaining brain damage and is in a wheel chair.

He's definitely had his challenges.
    There's a few sides to the story I think, here's one.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...22-gnoicy.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Jake actually trying for a few weeks has paid off, 3 years with a trigger for 4th.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p58ahc.html

16. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Looks like Jake actually trying for a few weeks has paid off, 3 years with a trigger for 4th.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p58ahc.html
    Good news. When we play them the pressure to perform is non existent again.

18. Likes Grantysghost, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Needs a 13.14% swing. Maybe free media helps him, but Tex Perkins (The Cruel Sea) stood in the same seat in 2014 and got 4.4%. If that’s the known name factor in the seat, he’s going to need to replicate that plus get 8.7% on top. The LP don’t find campaigns at all now so he’s got to show how he will pay for everything. To mount a decent campaign of direct mail (letters and brochures), early vote mailers, coreflutes, booth wrap, A frames, shirts for staff, campaign room hire, after party, digital media, websites, consultants etc the cheapest he’d be getting away with would be $100,000 if he can get a lot of the above donated. Not to mention being away from his restaurant.

I’d find something else to do with my time, or pick a much closer seat. But I doubt the factional bosses are going to let him near Hawthorn or the Federal Seat of Casey with Tony Windsor to retire.

On a human note, if he feels powerless in this pandemic and that if speaking his mind publicly gives him some comfort, then I hope he feels better or less frustrated for doing so. I disagreed with him when he was making noises about trying to take our board over, but I wish him the best as a past player. If his son Kai who would be eligible for drafting this year was making the grade, he would have the outlet Luke Darcy has of something to really look forward to as a dad and proud bulldog.
    Yep agree totally. it costs a shedload to nominate. I looked into having a run at the upper house as an independent at the last state election and even though a lot of people volunteered to help it still would have cost me around 60k. Especially if you want to do it properly and give yourself a chance and Dimma has never struck me as the sort of bloke to just go through the motions-if he's in then he's going to give it 100%.

Even given the gentrification of Albert Park the libs are realistically no chance at all to take the seat. it's always been an ALP stronghold and given the current state of the Victorian branch with factions pulling it in all directions I think they will probably be looking at losing seats at the next election. The Victorian libs are a bit like Carlton ATM in that they need to start again and get the footings right before they are a chance to have proper success.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I see old Jakey boy has signed three years at Essendon. Likely he won’t get a kick for the rest of the year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

21. Likes EasternWest liked this post