Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    This malaise started earlier than that. Darren gasper was part of the salary cap squeeze that contributed to their rein of 9th place finishers for a good decade

Oh and not picking buddy Franklin . Tambling instead .2004 draft

Some interesting points here and lessons to be learnt

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...pay-cut.19335/

They had a big clean out at end of 2009 where Dustin Martin was picked . Off top of my head 14 players were delisted.
    There was a reason we traded Jordy to Richmond. From memory his suitors were Richmond and Port Adelaisde abd we were happy that he went to Richmond because to quote someone senior at the club at the time "We were shit scared that Port would turn him into a good footballer and we'd look like dills"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tom Boyd to Join VAFA club St Kevins
    From a footy perspective this is the best way to improve your professional career aspirations mind you a man with Tom's ability will no doubt land some good corporate roles regardless

Going to the VAFA is a good step for many players once they have finished with the AFL
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From a footy perspective this is the best way to improve your professional career aspirations mind you a man with Tom's ability will no doubt land some good corporate roles regardless

Going to the VAFA is a good step for many players once they have finished with the AFL
    I was driving back from Torquay Wednesday morning and SEN were interviewing someone who has been involved in the VAFA for 20 years (Uni Blues), he was saying the exact same thing. You don't get paid but you get the networks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd to Join VAFA club St Kevins
    Tom Boyd to depart Norwood for VAFA club after backflip

Western Bulldogs premiership player Tom Boyd is set to leave Norwood and sign with VAFA club St Kevin’s.

Old Trinity was also in the race for the former No.1 draft pick but was informed on Tuesday that Boyd, 24, would join SKOBs.

Old Trinity coach Bernie Dinneen said the club was blindsided by Boyd’s decision.

“I was bitterly disappointed after people at the club had worked tirelessly to come to what we thought was virtually an agreement,” Dinneen said.

“I’m bitterly disappointed for the club on the last-minute backflip.”

Old Trinity said Boyd informed it he would join SKOBs.

The hulking forward took to social media on Tuesday evening to thank his old club.

“Returning to Norwood this year was an amazing experience and I can’t thank the club enough for having me,” Boyd wrote on Twitter.

“However, after much deliberation, I’ve decided that I’ll be playing at St Kevin’s in 2020 and am extremely excited for Anna and I be joining the SKOB community going forward.”

Boyd returned to Norwood — where he played his junior football — following his retirement from the AFL in May.

He played six games at the EFL Premier Division club and kicked 15 goals, including a bag of six in the final home-and-away game against Doncaster.

Boyd made 61 appearances at AFL level across six seasons and played a pivotal role in the Bulldogs’ grand final victory in 2016.

He kicked three goals in the decider and was among the best players on the ground.

SKOBs was contacted comment.

It won the 2017 and 2018 Premier A flags and finished runner-up to Uni Blues this year.

Boyd told Leader following his return game for Norwood in June that completing a business degree and playing local football would give his life structure.

“I just felt like I’d given up the desire to want to play at the highest level,” Boyd said.

“For a big part, the rigours of AFL, mainly through the week and the ability to just get out there playing footy, is not the same as it used to be for me.”

Norwood president Mark Etherington said the club was disappointed by Boyd’s decision.

“We can only wish Tom well,” Etherington said.

“It was great to have Tom play the handful of games that eventuated this year.

“We now look forward to a very successful season with what is already a quality list of existing and exciting, committed players and recruits.”

Boyd was a regular at Norwood games during his AFL career.

His father, Geoff, was captain-coach of the club’s 1989 premiership.

“It’s somewhere I’ve spent a lot of time around the last six or seven years, obviously not being out there but being around the place with my old man and family,” he said.

“To many people at the club, I’ve always been here and it was good to pull the colours back on.”

Boyd is the latest ex-AFL player to join the Ammos following the recent signings of David Armitage and David Mirra at Collegians.

He will join former North Melbourne and Carlton forward Jarrad Waite at SKOBs in a potent forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I was driving back from Torquay Wednesday morning and SEN were interviewing someone who has been involved in the VAFA for 20 years (Uni Blues), he was saying the exact same thing. You don't get paid but you get the networks.
    In the long run it's a great move for many players. Networking plays a huge part in your professional career
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at Dahl's stats for Geelong this year and they were pretty dire, we made the right decision to let him go.

24 games played so he was durable
    An average of 18 touches which is not great
    Only managed multiple goals twice and both games were against poor opposition
    Only had the 15 goal assists which is coupled with only 14 goals.

For comparisions sake, Lloyd had 14 goal assists but also had 38 goals. Lipinski had 14 goal assists from 14 games and kicked 11 goals. Lippa replaced him as the forward that rotates through the middle and Lloyd just had better stats as his direct replacement

7. Thanks Twodogs, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Looking at Dahl's stats for Geelong this year and they were pretty dire, we made the right decision to let him go.

24 games played so he was durable
    An average of 18 touches which is not great
    Only managed multiple goals twice and both games were against poor opposition
    Only had the 15 goal assists which is coupled with only 14 goals.

For comparisions sake, Lloyd had 14 goal assists but also had 38 goals. Lipinski had 14 goal assists from 14 games and kicked 11 goals. Lippa replaced him as the forward that rotates through the middle and Lloyd just had better stats as his direct replacement
    He wasn't bad, he cost them nothing at the trade table and his role was more to increase their collective forward pressure, which along with Atkins and Miers he helped with.

He is more valuable in their system than ours so it's a decent move for both parties. We move on and so do they.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes divvydan, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In case you missed Swamp's Tweet yesterday.
    Happy 45th birthday to Scott West
    Most B&F wins in the @AFL era
    1x: 190 players
    2x: 60 players
    3x: 27 players
    4x: 15 players
    5x: 6 players
    6x: Gary Ablett jnr, Nathan Buckley, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt
    7x: SCOTT WEST
    @westernbulldogs

11. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    In case you missed Swamp's Tweet yesterday.
    Happy 45th birthday to Scott West
    Most B&F wins in the @AFL era
    1x: 190 players
    2x: 60 players
    3x: 27 players
    4x: 15 players
    5x: 6 players
    6x: Gary Ablett jnr, Nathan Buckley, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt
    7x: SCOTT WEST
    @westernbulldogs
    Scooter was a genuinely underrated player by the general footy community.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Scooter was a genuinely underrated player by the general footy community.
    All our players are
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

All our players are
    Previously yes, now not so much.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Have enjoyed the ‘Glory Days’ podcasts Bob has been doing. The story about Gilbee donating a GF ticket was brilliant.

16. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Have enjoyed the ‘Glory Days’ podcasts Bob has been doing. The story about Gilbee donating a GF ticket was brilliant.
    Did they tell the story about Gilbee moving into the wrong flat in an apartment complex and not realizing for a fortnight until the actual owners turned up and wanted to know why he was in their flat? Or how when he was first drafted his new manager organized a personal appearance and said something like "Oh and by the way the fee will be $250" then after the appearance Lindsay said "Oh I bought my $250, who should I give it to?" "No Lindsay, the idea is THEY will be giving YOU $250"

Lindsay Gilbee is the funniest man alive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Did they tell the story about Gilbee moving into the wrong flat in an apartment complex and not realizing for a fortnight until the actual owners turned up and wanted to know why he was in their flat? Or how when he was first drafted his new manager organized a personal appearance and said something like "Oh and by the way the fee will be $250" then after the appearance Lindsay said "Oh I bought my $250, who should I give it to?" "No Lindsay, the idea is THEY will be giving YOU $250"

Lindsay Gilbee is the funniest man alive.
    Those are two of the funniest stories about footballers I've ever heard.

19. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Those are two of the funniest stories about footballers I've ever heard.
    I can't split them so I just told both. I'm guessing the "Lindsay Gilbee lived/squatted in our flat for two weeks before we realized" still gets a run at dinner partys these days.

I reckon that when they started to call Callan Ward Cement Head because he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed Lindsay would have done a little air punch to celebrate...