Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Was honestly surprised when I discovered he was still on a list. Hasn't looked like progressing past "fringe player" basically since he left us.
    He has the same issues quite a few players who perform well at u18 level have - they are uncomfortably shoe-horned into playing a different role.

He's small and not very quick so won't make it as a midfielder at AFL level, but lacks some of the natural crumbing goal-sense to be a small forward. I don't think he gets another contract.

He's played 64 AFL games though which I'm sure is more than the average AFL draftee.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Josh played for the Northern Blues in the VFL last year so don't think the relocation expenses would have been too high.
    The past is a different country.

Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It's my son's birthday (well it was last week anyway) so we went to the Yarraville club.for dinner. We sit down and have a look around and realise that it's Jakey boy sitting at the next table. I said to the boy "is that Stringer and his missus" but he didn't catch us checking them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's my son's birthday (well it was last week anyway) so we went to the Yarraville club.for dinner. We sit down and have a look around and realise that it's Jakey boy sitting at the next table. I said to the boy "is that Stringer and his missus" but he didn't catch us checking them out.
    Was she over 18? If so probably not.
    Last edited by hujsh; 18-07-2019 at 10:21 AM.

5. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Was she over 18? If not probably not.
    Definitlty the missus. His two daughters were there too.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Amy
    ‏@PaulAmy375
    46m46 minutes ago
    More
    Former Bulldog Lindsay Gilbee ices up after making a comeback at age 38 for Port Melbourne Colts yesterday. Class tells. In the second quarter he sold more candy than Willy Wonka and banged through a goal from 50. But he’ll be sore today.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently there's a Slobbo-penned piece in the Hun tomorrow that elaborates on this ... but when Roughy was concussed last Friday having copped a point-blank ball to the face it took the Pies trainers ten minutes to cotton-on he was in strife (hello runner's rule) and only did so after Maynard, once interchanged, told them they'd better check on Roughy because he was acting strangely including aggressively blowing up at Maynard when he suggested Roughy might want to sub off to get checked.

Once finally taken off, Roughy was apparently confused and bewildered as to why he and his teammates were wearing black and white while exclaiming out loud what the hell was Bevo doing?

Bless him, Bulldog through and through.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

9. Thanks Bulldog Joe, Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Apparently there's a Slobbo-penned piece in the Hun tomorrow that elaborates on this ... but when Roughy was concussed last Friday having copped a point-blank ball to the face it took the Pies trainers ten minutes to cotton-on he was in strife (hello runner's rule) and only did so after Maynard, once interchanged, told them they'd better check on Roughy because he was acting strangely including aggressively blowing up at Maynard when he suggested Roughy might want to sub off to get checked.

Once finally taken off, Roughy was apparently confused and bewildered as to why he and his teammates were wearing black and white while exclaiming out loud what the hell was Bevo doing?

Bless him, Bulldog through and through.
    As heartwarming as this may seem, that's damned scary to read it its factual.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    As heartwarming as this may seem, that's damned scary to read it its factual.
    Seconded. Damn scary.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

You'd hope that he doesn't play this week.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s Bevo doing ?
    I like to read into that and say that he doesn’t think much of Buckley as a coach if he was asking what’s the coach doing ? ;-)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I would think most footballers make it through their careers without being injured by a football to the head. Poor Roughy has had it happen to him twice, almost missed a grand final the first time.

Concussed Collingwood defender Jordan Roughead thought he was playing for the Western Bulldogs last week

More has been revealed about the effects of concussion Jordan Roughead suffered after a falcon to the head against Richmond, the Magpies defender believing he was playing for his former club the Bulldogs under Luke Beveridge.

A concussed Jordan Roughead believed he was playing for the Western Bulldogs last Friday night.
    Events in the second quarter bemused Collingwood coaches and staff, who were not aware of Roughead’s situation.

A dazed Roughead had an argument with teammate Brayden Maynard on the ground during the match against Richmond after he fumbled a straightforward handball and Sydney Stack kicked a goal.

When Roughead eventually came to the bench, it’s understood he wondered why there was so much “black and white” at the MCG.
    It’s believed he also said, “what the hell is Bevo doing”, which was a reference to his former coach at the Bulldogs, Luke Beveridge.

A review is expected into the circumstances of Roughead’s concussion and why he remained on the ground in a befuddled state for at least eight minutes.
    The review is a matter of AFL protocol after a concussion.
    Roughead copped a ball to the face in the first quarter and may have suffered a separate knock to the head in the second quarter, before he was ruled out of the game at halftime because of concussion.
    Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said on AFL360 on Monday that having a runner available might have helped the club detect the concussion earlier.
    “Maybe it would have been something we would have been able to go and check directly (if we had a runner),” Buckley said.

AFL football operation manager Steve Hocking did not advocate the need for greater access for runners.

“They’ve got two doctors and doctors can go on any time they want, they’ve got full access to the ground, as can physios, so there’s plenty of numbers there,” Hocking told the Herald Sun.
    “This is a unique situation.”
    Hocking said blame was not being pushed on anyone and a potential review was natural protocol.
    “That will only happen if there’s something significant which has been missed and they’ve (Collingwood) clearly picked it up at the end,” Hocking said.
    “I don’t know if there’s been any contact with Collingwood, but it’s certainly something which is on our radar because we’ve got to take that stuff seriously.”
    Buckley revealed that Roughead’s condition was not picked up until a teammate flagged it with club officials.

Buckley was bemused when Roughead fumbled the handball, leading to the Stack goal.
    And then Maynard said something to Roughead which sparked a minor verbal argument between the pair.

“Brayden Maynard had rotated off and had the conversation and said, ‘go and check out Roughy, because I don’t reckon he’s all there’, and that was seven or eight minutes after (the Stack goal),” Buckley said.
    “That’s when they grabbed him off and did the concussion (test), made it delayed concussion of some sort.
    “I know that a few of our boys had a conversation — there was one bit of play where he (Roughead) got handballed the ball, he fumbled it and then Sydney Stack kicked a goal.
    “The conversation went to Brayden Maynard and he (Roughead) said what happened then and he (Maynard) said, ‘well, you dropped the ball mate and we had a goal kicked against us’ and he (Roughead) goes, ‘I can’t even remember it’.”
    Roughead is listed as a test ahead of this weekend’s game.

15. Thanks azabob, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was watching that game and I'm sure he was concussed prior to the ball in the head. Can't remember the incident but it was in a marking contest about five mins before the falcon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I was watching that game and I'm sure he was concussed prior to the ball in the head. Can't remember the incident but it was in a marking contest about five mins before the falcon.
    I know the incident you are referring to but according to the article the falcon was in the first quarter and the other knock was in the second.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting.
    That is scary stuff.
    More of an In Bruges guy?