Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,154
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

No ex bulldog playing for the tigers tomorrow but we have an ex tiger playing for us, is that a sign ?
    I put money on us.
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    No ex bulldog playing for the tigers tomorrow but we have an ex tiger playing for us, is that a sign ?
    I put money on us.
    Good one Ledge
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens
    ‏@Stevo7AFL
    Following Following @Stevo7AFL
    More
    Have had contact from @BrianLake17 ... fair to say, he’s dejected after being deregistered from suburban footy for passing 16 match career suspension threshold. It included an offence back in SA in under 19s. Seems incredibly harsh given his contribution to game. @7NewsMelbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Gee Brian’s life has spiralled out of control
    Pretty sad really .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee Brian’s life has spiralled out of control
    Pretty sad really .
    He played well kicked 4 in a good win it's an odd decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He played well kicked 4 in a good win it's an odd decision.
    It's not a decision though. When you hit the ceiling for allowable suspension, it's local footy career over. He's hit the ceiling, so that's it. It's happened to others. Although I do fear all this extra time will impact his ex and family.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's not a decision though. When you hit the ceiling for allowable suspension, it's local footy career over. He's hit the ceiling, so that's it. It's happened to others. Although I do fear all this extra time will impact his ex and family.
    Odd in that his AFL stuff is counted at local level. I've watched many of his local games, and he is constantly targeted on and off field I'm surprised he hasnt lashed out more often to be honest ! . Guess that's the price of being a big name. He's been great for his club prior to his recent well publicised issues does a lot of good work that goes unrecognised. You only hear about the bad stuff unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Triple Hawthorn premiership player Brian Lake banned from playing football at all levels

All players are subject to the national deregistration policy, which states that if a player accumulates 16 weeks or more of suspensions throughout their career, they will be automatically removed from the game at all levels.

Players returning from AFL to local competition are given a 25 per cent "discount" on all suspensions incurred at the top level.

Lake, 37, received a two-match penalty for striking in Caroline Springs' 33-point win over Sunshine on Saturday, which tipped him over the 16-week threshold.

"That's why I got de-registered, because of all the suspensions you have through AFL - it even comes up from Under 19s," Lake told the Herald Sun.

"I was 17 (then), so it's a 20-year span that you're talking about that you can get suspended in.

"I'm playing footy for an escape, because I need something.

"To get reported like that is not great, but to be de-registered ... you want players playing in the league, don't you? You want AFL players coming back to support their local clubs."

The three-time premiership Hawk and Norm Smith medallist kicked four goals and was named in the best players for Western Region Football League club Caroline Springs during its win over Sunshine.

Lake revealed the suspension on Instagram, where he posted a photo of a letter with the caption “Tag a mate that’s had a worse 12 months than me!

The letter, sent by the Western Region Football League, says the deregistration is “in line with the National Player and Official Deregistration Policy".

Lake will be unable to play football at any level for more than 12 months.

It is understood Lake's local coach, former Collingwood midfielder Brodie Holland, also reached the suspension threshold and was deregistered in recent weeks.

Lake will not be able to play football until at least 26 May 2020.

The AFL's national player and official deregistration policy states that because it is an automatic system, there is no appeal process.

Lake said he was considering his options.

"The guy came at me, and I made contact but it was with an open hand," he said.

"The video footage shows that there's no contact, but the umpire said that I made contact once, but the player said (otherwise).

"And it's gone from two weeks to de-registering.

"I got sent an email. I don't know how I can appeal it - I've got no understanding of the rule. But the way the letter reads, I can't appeal for another 12 months' time."

Lake was warned in May last year that he had accumulated 15 weeks' suspension - taking into account a 25 per cent discount on the 16 weeks he tallied in the AFL between 2004 and 2014, which included a Grand Final suspension worth double - and that he was sitting dangerously close to the automatic de-registration total.

He was officially de-registered today and received notification via the Western Region Football League.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...b60822c01b2cb9

Post Thanks / Like

Odd in that his AFL stuff is counted at local level. I've watched many of his local games, and he is constantly targeted on and off field I'm surprised he hasnt lashed out more often to be honest ! . Guess that's the price of being a big name. He's been great for his club prior to his recent well publicised issues does a lot of good work that goes unrecognised. You only hear about the bad stuff unfortunately.
    But you get a discount though for your AFEL stuff. I don't get the sniping bullshit that happens to most though. Dermie I think got knocked out when he went back to Frankston. These dickheads ruin it for a lot of local clubs, I couldn't agree more. But the ex-players can't go around serving summary justice either. Because if your like BL, and I think Steve Baker, and you do something you shouldn't. The rules are clear, no football for you.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good rule for local footy thugs that rack up suspensions. In general you have to do something pretty serious in local footy to cop a suspension as a send off is the first option.

However the paltry 25% discount for AFL suspensions is a joke. 95% of incidents that players get suspended for in the AFL would never be worthy of suspension in local footy.

Brian started with Caroline Springs with 12 weeks from the AFL (16 weeks less 25% discount), plus something from under 19s, cops a 2 match suspension and is now effectively banned for life. It's farcical.

Ex-AFL players are great for local footy, they attract supporters and generate interest and income for clubs. Surely we want them involved, not banned?

12. Likes Grantysghost, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's a good rule for local footy thugs that rack up suspensions. In general you have to do something pretty serious in local footy to cop a suspension as a send off is the first option.

However the paltry 25% discount for AFL suspensions is a joke. 95% of incidents that players get suspended for in the AFL would never be worthy of suspension in local footy.

Brian started with Caroline Springs with 12 weeks from the AFL (16 weeks less 25% discount), plus something from under 19s, cops a 2 match suspension and is now effectively banned for life. It's farcical.

Ex-AFL players are great for local footy, they attract supporters and generate interest and income for clubs. Surely we want them involved, not banned?
    For some reason I strongly thought the discount was 50%. Either I'm wrong (happens every now and then ...) or at some point they've tightened the discount for some reason. (Edit: I was right, when Baker got done it was 50%)

Like with the MRP and versions of it, when you have a fixed number to underpin a policy (for AFEL players) it becomes black and white when 99% of everything is grey. I might Google, but I think Baker appealed in some sense and did OK. Edit: He appealed the tribunal and got it over turned to keep playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    For some reason I strongly thought the discount was 50%. Either I'm wrong (happens every now and then ...) or at some point they've tightened the discount for some reason. (Edit: I was right, when Baker got done it was 50%)

Like with the MRP and versions of it, when you have a fixed number to underpin a policy (for AFEL players) it becomes black and white when 99% of everything is grey. I might Google, but I think Baker appealed in some sense and did OK. Edit: He appealed the tribunal and got it over turned to keep playing.
    I read somewhere you can't appeal until twelve months post ban? I think this is only his second suspension in three seasons (2 X 2 weeks) hardly a thug and I assume it's not what the rule was meant to deter.

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere you can't appeal until twelve months post ban? I think this is only his second suspension in three seasons (2 X 2 weeks) hardly a thug and I assume it's not what the rule was meant to deter.
    He'd need to appeal the actual tribunal decision of the last offence (like Baker), unless his time has expired, like Baker did. If he can't turn it over, he may as well give up. It might give him time to reflect of his life and change the course of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Agree totally. What a wildly disproportionate penalty. I played two years of local footy and actual sniping thugs are running around freely.

Let Brian play.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Agree totally. What a wildly disproportionate penalty. I played two years of local footy and actual sniping thugs are running around freely.

Let Brian play.
    Another thing to note is Brian wasn't a mercenary at the end of his AFL career, he would've demanded alot more money than he got at Caroline Springs, but as a member of the local community he wanted to give back. Which he did in spades, he regularly helps run events and happily lends his ear for a chat. Don't get me wrong he was well remunerated, but it's a win win with the club going from strength to strength now competing in division 1 with Brodie Holland as coach (Monty's mate).