Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

The other way of looking at it is that it was good of us to try him in different positions as we preferred others to him in the one he/ we here/ others thought he was suited to. I mean we could have not given him any games at all.

Whether he should have been selected over those preferred is a matter of preference, but he wasn't.

Good luck to him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The other way of looking at it is that it was good of us to try him in different positions as we preferred others to him in the one he/ we here/ others thought he was suited to. I mean we could have not given him any games at all.

Whether he should have been selected over those preferred is a matter of preference, but he wasn't.

Good luck to him.
    In 2020 he played just one game, because he wasn't training well and not putting in. You have to do the hard yards to be best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Good luck to him.
    He's no good.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read a report that Weitering and McGovern are out for the season. Young has a bit more time to win some doubters over.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I just read a report that Weitering and McGovern are out for the season. Young has a bit more time to win some doubters over.
    Not sure where you read that about Weitering, he's expected back this week or more likely next.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In terms of doubters, how many players since 2015 have left and we have regretted it.

It's entirely possible we know what we are doing.

It's a wild theory right.

8. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    In terms of doubters, how many players since 2015 have left and we have regretted it.

It's entirely possible we know what we are doing.

It's a wild theory right.
    Not one

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not one
    Hamling? Roughead? Was Jones 2015?

I’d like Adams on our list also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not sure where you read that about Weitering, he's expected back this week or more likely next.
    Weitering back in a week or so, McGovern round 18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Maybe Hamling, but injury prone doesn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a doubter about Lewis. I reckon with a bit of strength and maturity he could become a consistent AFL defender and can improve upon what he's shown with Carlton this year.

All I'm saying is that others were preferred, and on plenty of occasions that was probably justified. Like Richards, Dale and Williams were the fact he was played out of position or called upon to fill a gap in the side probably means he was rated on some level by the MC.

14. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

That's clutching, and kind of proves the point.

I'm really surprised with how much love Hamling gets compared to say Roberts.

He did nothing really until the last 4 or 5 games.

Star A. D.!

Post Thanks / Like

The more interesting part for me is the basis on which we let certain players go.

Roughead - definitely something happened with the way Bevo wanted rucks to perform and it put a taste in Jordan's mouth that wasn't great. I also think the way the playing group was handled and who departed at the time had a bit to do with it

Hamling - sick father. Wanted to depart and was let go. He wasn't Alex Rance, he wasn't getting fly in and fly out treatment given it wasn't Perth where he would be going to in order to be closer to his family. It was essentially the Melbourne to Perth flight again but with less services

Adams - didn't want to be at the club. Never gelled and never got his body right and requested a trade. You let a player like that go and address the reasons upstream as to why that happened in the first place

Jones - last ditch effort to save a career in defence hailed as a master stroke by the Blues. It would be great if we gave our MC the plaudits we afford those at Carlton for throwing him back like we did with a few of ours

There's a pervasive black or white/ right or wrong culture in the AFL (and even here), but shit's more complicated than it seems when it comes to player movement.*

*Unless all they're after is a second house. In that case, *!*!*!*! them!

Post Thanks / Like

I think we made the wrong call on L Young. I think pound for pound he is a better defender than Gardner. However, I think L Young is better suited to the role that Chief plays than the deeper role that Gardner plays and with Chief in the slot Young wa always going to be 2nd fiddle. Pleased that this move works out for him, but it just shows that we need more depth in our backline.

18. Likes josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackson Trengove: Mooroopna signs former AFL player ahead of June 30 clearance deadline

The biggest name up for grabs before the June 30 clearance deadline has finally settled on where he will play. Find out where he has signed.

Jackson Trengove has joined Goulburn Valley league finals contender Mooroopna on the final day before clearances close for the season.

The former Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide key position player departed Barooga earlier this month where he was in his first season as coach after joining the Murray league club as a player in 2021.

Trengove has played the last two matches for the Southern Mallee Giants in the Wimmera league, but was keen to stay in the Goulburn-Murray region on a more permanent basis.

He signed today with Mooroopna for the remainder of this season and 2023, and will play his first game for the club against Kyabram on July 9.

“I understand it is a young list but I have always enjoyed the mentoring side of helping young players and I will get the opportunity to do that at Mooroopna,” he said.

Mooroopna is sitting third on the Goulburn Valley ladder behind Echuca and Euroa under coach John Lamont, who first joined the club in the role in 2020.

He previously coached Werribee in the VFL.

“Sometimes the harder you work the luckier you get and we as a club have been working very hard here on a number of fronts and now we are enjoying a little bit of luck,” Lamont said.

Trengove will join Mooroopna as a seven point player, but club president Bill Dowling said it had plenty of space available to accommodate the former AFL player.

“We played with 30 points last weekend,” Dowling said.

“We’ve got no issue with points whatsoever.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

20. Thanks azabob thanked for this post